Quantcast

1994 Honda trx 300 some carb issues

Scoopeddad

So I have a 1994 Honda trx300 and I still am having some carb issues. I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. Starts great, idles great, but when in 3rd it seems to pulsate. Not steady power. Any ideas on the setting the setting for the carb? I put a new spark plug in and the old one did seem pretty dark and sooty. I checked the gap on new one and installed. Went for a ride and it didn't seem any different. Any suggestions would be great..

• 1 year later...
  • Admin changed the title to 1994 Honda trx 300 some carb issues

Answers here all over the board.

The pilot (not air) adjustment screw on the bottom will not affect any part of the throttle range other than 0 to @ 5 %. Beyond that throttle position, the slide cut, needle and needle jet come into play (3 to 85 %). Then the main jet is the only metering system in play (70 to 100%).

Valve adjustment problems are not limited to any operating range...usually hard or no-start issues OR excessive valve noise.

You use a pressure tester to check the needle and seat in the carb...hook hose to where the fuel line attaches and pressurize to 3 or 4 psi. This is the most critical thing in carb rebuild. Without a float system that maintains the fuel level in the bowl correctly, you're wasting your time with any other metering circuit. The seat is cast into the carb body on this unit. It has to be chemically cleaned and polished before you can expect a good needle to seal.

That all said, I think I'd focus on the intake/carb system. Be sure the air filter is correctly mounted and serviced. If using a K&N filter, replace it with a correctly serviced oiled foam unit. make certain that the air box is intact and the top is secured. 300's use a CV carb that has to have a certain amount of vacuum created on the back side of the carb in order for the slide to lift correctly. Also, the 300's have a small pump attached to the bowl. Check the diaphragm. When bad they run rich. Although I use carb kits often, I use no more of the parts in them than needed. I find OEM parts to be more precise (but expensive). I rarely use the jet needle or needle jet in the kits as they can be FAR off from the original and give hard-to-diagnose mid-throttle problems.

There could be other issues, but given the description of your problem, this is where I'd start. I'm curious to know the outcome. Keep us informed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 8:17 AM, Scoopeddad said:

So I have a 1994 Honda trx300 and I still am having some carb issues. I cleaned the carb and installed a new carb kit. Starts great, idles great, but when in 3rd it seems to pulsate. Not steady power. Any ideas on the setting the setting for the carb? I put a new spark plug in and the old one did seem pretty dark and sooty. I checked the gap on new one and installed. Went for a ride and it didn't seem any different. Any suggestions would be great..

main jet needle may need moved a position. is it snorkeled?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By ResQ91
      Hi Guys!

New member and could really use your advice. I would have to believe this has been an issue for others but a search here came up with nothing......? (Probably me not doing search correctly)

I have an 87 Big Bear 350 YFM350FWT
      The OEM Mikuni BTM carb is shot and would rather replace than rebuild.
      It is no longer made and I have had good luck with NICHE carbs so I ordered a #K-CRB-0006 This was what they said was replacement when ordered. This Carb only uses 1 Throttle cable. The Slide is linked so it uses one. (OEM had 2nd cable coming through top to move slide)

Problem is when I ordered a replacement Cable from NICHE (#C-CBL-0061) the Cable wire is a little short, not allowing Throttle to return all the way down to Idle position. I called NICHE and they are at a loss. Haven't gotten back to me after 2+ weeks.

What would you recommend other than a carb rebuild?
      Can I just use 1 of the OEM cables (It is the right length) and snip/disconnect the other that went to top of Carb for Slide?
      Or ??

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!!

Dave
    • By Gwbarm
      I have been exploring all the options available, so many, its hard to choose. I have kind of narrowed it down to the Honda Pilot, Subaru Outback, and Kind of looking at the Outlander, although its a little small,  the new one is nice looking. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations or gripes with any of these rides. I have driven Jeeps for the past 25  years and they have been great, but their price point has gotten to high. Expieriences good or bad would be helpful. Thanks!
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By DrtyGrlKristin
      Just thought I'd start a new thread for newbies to the site!
      If you're new here, tell us who you are, where you're from and what you ride!!!
      Lets get to know each other a little better shall we?
      I'm not new to the site, obviously, but...
      I'm Kristin from Denver!!! I ride a 2008 Yamaha Rhino. She's my muddy baby!!!!!! Several aftermarket parts on her. She's good to me! We try and ride every weekend. This weekend we're off to MOAB! :woot:
    • By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.