Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Jmpmstr91b

05 king quad won’t start after stator replacement

Hey guys.... I’m new to this atv mechanicing and replaced the stator and oil pump chain in my 05 king quad 700 and now the damn thing won’t start... all the timing marks appear to be right on... put a new woodruff key in when I pulled the old rotor (flywheel) off.... I don’t get why it won’t start.... any suggestions? Got plenty of fuel and good spark too

Did you mean timing chain ? (Oil pump chain) ?Is it possbsle that you are 180 deg out on the timing if so ?  Fuel and spark = a running engine. Timing could be the problem. Any backfire at all?  I would retrace my steps if I were you. And keep in mind that if you set the timing wrong the valves and piston can hit causing a considerable amount of damage to the engine. Like a bent valve and a dented/cracked piston etc.  

On 2/11/2018 at 6:21 PM, Jmpmstr91b said:

Hey guys.... I’m new to this atv mechanicing and replaced the stator and oil pump chain in my 05 king quad 700 and now the damn thing won’t start... all the timing marks appear to be right on... put a new woodruff key in when I pulled the old rotor (flywheel) off.... I don’t get why it won’t start.... any suggestions? Got plenty of fuel and good spark too

That's definitely a new word, but I love it! Sounds like timing maybe. That's fuel injected I believe.

Update.... I troubleshoot it down to the CKP sensor/ stator coil.... so I ordered a new one and hopefully that fixes the issue... fingers crossed

Very nice job!  So I’m assuming that the spark was firing at the wrong time? I’m surprised you didn’t at least get a backfire but either way great job keep us posted!

What did you do to narrow it down ? Did you ohms test it ?  

It passed the ohms test had 191.... but when cranking I didn’t get any voltage (weird since when I started this I had fuel and spark) so the manual say replace it... which in turn comes with the stator. If I remember correctly it should have had 3-5 volts while cranking off the blue or white wire like I said I don’t exactly remember and this thing has been pissing me off for a few days now.... haha 

It can and will “piss you off” if you look at a lot of my posts I always say take your time and a step back and breathe!!!  Hopefully you nailed it brother. Keep us posted. Im always interested with this kind of thing and the next guy will use the info. 

Update!!!! New CPK and stator did the trick! Fired right up tonight once I got it back together

• Thanks 1

New problem..... so I got it back together and running.... but when I go to put it in gear it jerks forward and dies. ALso has a weird knocking noise coming from the right side of the motor.... I haven’t done any troubleshooting but thinking my wet clutch may have shit the bed too.... any thoughts?

Parts ordered they ship Tuesday so I should have it back together the night they show up at my door

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Freezeman
      Well I came on here hoping to read a manual about the quad but found that I have to make some posts before that can happen, so here is one. 
      I work on peoples stuff. Had this well used unit come to me with a no start issue. I found it had fuel  and spark was good but it only had 30 pounds of compression. I put each cylinder to TDC and feed the plug hole with a small amount of air pressure and could hear the escaping air coming out the carb openings. I then checked the valves lash at TDC and found that booth cylinders had 0 lash for the intake valves. I reset the lash to .003 for all the intake valves and reapplied a small amount of air pressure and the leaking of air was gone. I then spent a few hours screwing all the parts I had to take off, back together and then drove it out of the shop.
      The lash was only 1/4- 1/2 a turn too tight that caused the valve to stay open just enough to make it not start. IMO the heads could use an overhaul some time soon as the valves and seats have become a bit warn.
      These ATV's just have too much crap stuffed into a small space, I wounder how many fasteners are used to hold 1 ATV together?
      Later, 
    • By Craig Newton Lawton
      Hi thanks for adding me on here, i bought a none running 110cc thundercat quad and i have spark, fuel, compression but it wont start anyone have any ideas as im stumped 
    • By JacobSlabach
      I have a gentleman that asked me to service his bayou for him.  I have always wondered what oil should be used in atv engines?  Pros?  Cons?  What weight should be used in what type of weather?  Is there one kind that I could bulk buy and safely used in any quad I worked on or owned?  What about performance?  Engine Life?  This has always been a 🤔🤔🤔 area for me with quads as far as why you would use one type of oil over another....
      Thanks!
    • By marlon smith
      i HAVE A 2008 BAja 250 ur quad, have running problems and electrical rewiring project. I have found this model is made by loncin which has went out business. Have found some parts such as switches that have to be rewired and I think I have a bad stator. Will run till warm and then stops firing. The cdi is new and would not fire at all till I replaced it. Now I have this problem. Can anyone connect me with a good wiring diagram and a good diagnostic  procedure for this 7 wire 3 plug  cdi?
    • By Rob113
      Hello guys! I ride a triton 450 super moto. i hawe change connecting road... Now all is okey,test drive ok manny km done. But there is one problem...i hawe buy a new accu. But the starter is verry hard rotate...almost stops.  So the motor is wery hard to start. I hawe trie connect the starter directley to accu and its the same thing.Before rebuild the starter has work normal.
      What hawe i done wrong?
      Sorry for my English:)
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By KQ300cy
      Hi all, new to the forum, looking forward to getting some help/advice on maintaining an 18 yr old atv!  So my King Quad 300, recently started running really rough (otherwise ok til this point) at anything more than idle.  After started, choke on/off, doesn't seem to matter, it shutters (Not sure how else to explain it) really bad when given throttle.  I can let the engine run for several minutes, but this never improves.  
      Fuel pump checks out ok, and I don't see any gas in the fuel pump vacuum line.  I am a novice on a carburetor, but I need to see what's going on, so after taking it apart, I have a question about this plastic part with an o-ring that is above the jet needle.  Appears as if someone rebuilt this carb, because it is extremely clean...so I am wondering if this plastic part looks to be typical for this carb...or not.  Thanks in advance for the help!

• By Wolds Alpacas
      I have just ordered a Suzuki King Quad 300 which should be here this week - it is described as "with slow running needing attention"  I am as a matter of course going to put a new spark plug in, change the oil and oil filter and blow out the air filter with compressed air - anything else I should consider?  Also, the headlights do not work - I want to change them out for LED ones anyway though. 
    • By David Land
      I have an 05 King Quad 700 that has in the past had to have the stator replaced twice.  For the past six months it has been down hard as I cannot get it to fire.  I have replaced the coil (which is the code that came up) and now I have a friend replacing the stator.  I want to see if the new stator does the trick.  Drain the old fuel, and replace with 100% Ethanol free fuel, and see if that does the trick.  The local Suziki dealer will not work on it as it is over 10 years old.  So the nearest dealer is 90 miles away.  The last thing I can do after that (provided the other fixes do not work) is replace the ECM/ECU.  I also read that there was a recall on the ECM/ECU, so I need to check on that.  All of the grounding has been checked, so if anyone has an idea, I would greatly appreciate the insight.

Kindly,

David
    • By Jacob Gentz
      I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 with a susuki motor, 2500 hours.  I was riding it yesterday, came out this morning, will turn over but no start.  I have spark and fuel.  Took carb off and cleaned it.  Back firing out of exhaust and air intake.  Not sure how one day it runs but 12 hours later it won't.  Just need some pointers on where to look.
    • By LMI
      The saga of the fan continues.
      The Pin attempt in the fan shaft failed.  I then moved on to trying to weld the fan hub to the fan shaft.  I took it for a run the weld broke.  Now it was truly F'ed.  To recap the dealer price, they want $400 + CND for a replacement fan assembly.
      I searched all sorts of after market places and no one carried one.  Ebay had some used ones but they were $120 USD + Conversion rate for something as old as what I have.  I went to Amazon and eventually settled on this.

amazon link

What I found... and was amazed... was that the fan mounted to the Suzuki fan assembly bracket.  I was prepared to manufacture my own mount conversions...  It also came with "Harpoon mounts" (nylon zip tie like things that go straight through the rad.   Anyways it mounted to the original bracket. It fit perfectly.  Cut the electrical plug off replaced it with the Suzuki... all good.  Let the quad heat up, thermo coupler kicked in the fan circuit, polarity was right... all was good....  Fan is under the circuit fuse rating.  

so I finally have a solid fan solution.  $34 CND vs $400+ CND