Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ronald webb

Suzuki LT80 nightmare

So where to start my son's LT80 stop running a couple months ago. Naturally I assumed I had a carburetor issues or the peacock valve. After replacing those two items and ensuring I had a spark I started doing my homework thus finding this page. After all the post I have read the next natural thing would be compression I did a compression test today and it was only 60 after spraying WD-40 in it so off comes the cylinder head and The Jug to my surprise the cylinder walls and all the gaskets are pristine so I am totally stumped no idea why I would not have compression when everything looks brand new even the Rings look great any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

You are missing something, did you wire brush the top of the piston and the head for carbon build up to make sure there aren’t any pinholes or cracks? I would also check the head where the gasket sits to make sure it’s not warped. And lastly the rings could be bad even though they look ok. I would think it’s just a piston and ring replacement job. 

There could be a hairline crack in the cylinder jug or head  but that would probably have shown up with a dark spot or hearing air coming from it. 

I would put a new gasket kit and piston and rings and see where you are at.  

Ive heard of the 50cc engines losing compression from the crank case bearing seals but not on the 80.   

Reeds not  seating properly  could be  a  big reason  for   some of the loss of  compression and very  poor running .

I wouldn't  change the  jets..  Just   put in new  reeds  and  rings.

• Like 1

I same quad with similar issues. I rebuilt the top end, rebuilt the carb, and replaced the reed. Starts, runs and idles but has no power.  Cant barely move itself with no one on it. Air filter ok. Sounds like its bogged down with throttle open. Compression test showed 140 psi. Plug looks good. Gaskets look good. Im lost. Any suggestions??????

What is "normal" compression psi for these little engines?  I am most used to old English cars...these are ll new to me.