Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

PeiFamily

2001 Kawasaki KLF300-C13 Bayou 300 4X4 Clutch and trans problem

Just picked up a 2001 Kawasaki KLF300-C13 Bayou 300 4X4, the clutch seems to be slipping then catches.  After a few minutes of test driving it, it lost all gears. It sounds and feels like it shifts, but nothing.. It just sits there and can even be pushed in any gear just like it was in neutral.

I was in 2nd gear when it died completely.

Would a slipping clutch cause that or is there something else I should check out first? I pulled the clutch adjustment plate off to give that a try, but the 12mm nut will turn, but the bolt is seized to the washers.

It smokes a bit and was thinking about putting rings in it, but unsure now if something major is wrong.

I got this and a KLF 400 as a package deal and drove this about one mile before this happened. (This one wouldn't start when I picked it up and was bought as is so I was unaware of any clutch slipping issues).

Thanks!

Have you changed the oil recently? Here's a good article to read through 

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

I just added a link to the service manual if you don't already have it

* Added ATV information into topic title.

My 300 bayou used to drive terrible when the oil was getting ready to be changed. Then like a new bike with new oil in it.  I always used wet clutch oil. Not standard 10w30. Hope it helps.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Doug Davis said:

My 300 bayou used to drive terrible when the oil was getting ready to be changed. Then like a new bike with new oil in it.  I always used wet clutch oil. Not standard 10w30. Hope it helps.

I agree and I think it’s because the oil breaks down and doesn’t do the job it’s intended to do with the additives and all. Old oil even in cars can cause issues. I was getting a tranny slip in my Chevy and just changed the fluid, problem went away. Fluid was black that came out instead of red. The oil breaks down and affects the clutches in the tranny.

@Doug Davis 

On 7/14/2018 at 7:50 PM, Doug Davis said:

What exactly is “wet clutch oil” is this a Kawasaki or a Napa item.....?

I use Valvoline 4-Stroke Full Synthetic Motorcycle Oil...formulated for wet clutches..available at autozone or advanced auto.

Motor Oil,Motorcycle,1 qt.,10W-40