Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

neomoquad

Semi or Full Synthetic

Hey guys, new here so bear with me.. I hope I posted in the right area. I am curious if you guys run a semi or full synthetic oil. If a full syn blend, is it PAO? I'm trying to gauge my best option for the buck. Thanks

14 hours ago, GrizzlyRider said:

I've been running Valvoline 4-Stroke ATV conventional oil but on newer ATVs I would recommend Amsoil full synthetic. 

I do the same and have been using the valvoline atv and motorcycle oil. BUt my quad is an older 2004 if I get a new one down the road, I'll start it off with synthetic.

On 6/6/2018 at 7:06 AM, Ajmboy said:

I do the same and have been using the valvoline atv and motorcycle oil. BUt my quad is an older 2004 if I get a new one down the road, I'll start it off with synthetic.

Ive been told by my dealer if the machine is new, or had a top end done, to run regular oil in it for about 300 miles then change it over to synthetic. This allows the rings and such to seat properly. Running synthetic from the start is not a good idea.

I think I'll do the synthetic blend and then go full synthetic. Just purchased a 1987 Big Bear.

Oil technology has come a long way. Its all preference at this point. The key is to change the fluids at the recommended intervals. Use any quality oil of the correct viscosity, change it regularly, and you will be fine. 

I met some guys in the oil production business here locally and they let me visit the manufacturing plant. Learned a lot about oils, additives, semi and full synthetics. They are getting ready launch to the masses they told me and are working on a website.  They do real testing on dirt bikes and street bikes out there. Specializing in motorsport engine lubrication. He didnt give me the name but said when they launch he will email me. They use group3 oils to do the semi-blend and from what I read is a great base.? Just curious.

I get the dealer oil.  Really only a couple bucks more and then you are safe.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Larry Fox
      Just bought this ATV. Wondering if my gauge from a 2003 will plug in and work. I know mine does not have a fuel gauge, but if the rest works, I am in. 
    • By Gary Ferguson
      My old Big Bear nearly left me stranded but I managed to limp back to my garage just before it died. Now No Spark. I’ve changed the obvious, inexpensive and easy parts- spark plug & coil without any luck. 
      Ive stripped it down and traced all of the related wiring, checking as many connections as I can but no luck again. 
      Next I pulled the cover and accessed the stator housing to inspect and do some resistance testing to ID a possible short. 
      Here are my readings:
      Source coil- 325 ohms
      Pickup coil- 225
      Can anyone tell me if these are good numbers, and if good, where to go next?
      I assume my next purchase will either be a new stator or CDI, but since neither of these tend to be returnable items I want to be as sure as I can I’m gonna get a resolution to the problem!!
      Thanks,
      Gary in SC
    • By Scott Matthews
      Just picked up a 1989 Big Bear 350 for $250 CAD. Bike was running but lost crank and spark. They've installed a new coil, a couple relays, and installed a Ford starter solenoid in place of the original. Now it cranks but has no spark so they sold it to me. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike so I can test some wiring. Also any ideas as to direction to head would be nice. Lots of things have been hacked together so I know it probably wont be to easy. The ignition switch was replaced with a toggle switch, I already mentioned the Ford solenoid which 1 of the small wires was not re-installed, and a diode or something was removed from the oil temp sensor wire. I'm sure I will find more so a diagram would be amazing.
    • By Dave Ayoub
      Ok i am not quick to jump on a forum and post a question without doing my own part and trying to research and solve the problem myself but I cannot find any definitive information anywhere about my problem. I have a Big Bear 350 that I picked up very cheap which had been sitting in a field for years. I am not new to building wheelers but this one has me beat. After rebuilding top end and replacing the carb it fires right up. The vin has some number worn off from being next to the shifter but from the parts in the clutch i assume it is early since 87 parts seem to be the only ones that match. Thats when the plot thickened. 
      Reverse works fine but when in the forward gears it would not go past 1st and was hard to get into neutral. ie. a it took a million clicks up to thump into 1 and as many down to find neutral. still never getting past 1st. within minutes i could hear metal screeching and whirling around in the clutch side of the motor. I took the cover off to find that 3 out of the 4 springs on the centrifugal clutch had broken and were shredded. Also the black mechanism that the pawl on shift shaft grabs moves was loose so it wasnt always grab to change the gear on the transmission. I tightened that mech, and replaced the springs assuming it would solve the problem since the gears were not actually changing from the lever and the carrier should obviously not only have 1 spring left. 
      After putting everything back together it did go into 1st fairly easy but then i again couldnt get it back to N without a million clicks down and couldnt get it to go past 1st. I did one time get it into a higher gear who knows what one but i gained some speed and dropped rpm.
      If i jack both the front and the back wheels off the ground and run the motor it becomes much easier to shift and i can get it to run through the gears pretty well. Usually going into N without a huge fight. not perfect but it does hit neutral and roar while spinning the wheels instead of gain rpm and with the power. 
      I have tried every possible position on the clutch adjustment screw without any noticeable result. I think this could potentially be where my problem lies at this point.
      does anyone know if the case is supposed to be threaded? because mine is not. obviously it seems as though it should be since every other bike ive touched has been. i even took the cover off my quadrunner to make sure it wasnt crazy.
      when the screw is adjusted and the jam nut tightened the screw will just slide back out since there is no threading in the case. accomplishing nothing. 

Does anyone have any insight on any of this? Are my plates stuck, Centrif clutch worn out, case stripped or something else crazy im over looking? 

• By MarkinAR
      So this 98 Big Bear is my new project.  While I'm waiting on a few parts to show up, I'm working on a few small things.  I can shift 1-5 just fine, no problem at all (keep in mind, this is not running yet so just manual shifting sitting still).  However, I can't shift from 1-neutral.  I can hold down on the foot shifter, rock it a bit, and it will disengage the clutch so i can push it around in neutral as long as I keep pushing down on the shifter.  However, it will not downshift to neutral and stay there.  I know BB's have had some shifting difficulties in the past, but before I dive into this, have any of you fine folks encountered the same issue?  I'm tempted to just adjust the linkage a bit since these have an external linkage, but thought I'd toss the question to the group and see if there are any common issues to look for.
      Thanks guys...