Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Anthony Marceau

1986 Yamaha Moto4 200 YFM200 Ignition problems! Please help!!

Hi everyone! I have a 1986 yamaha moto4 200 that's been sitting for a while! Cleaned the carb, replaced engine oil, put fresh gas in it. Got it running and went for a ride! It was running great just a little backfire once in a while! I barely made it home on the way back and now the bike won't run at all since then! It will start if I give a little bit of throttle but dies instantly as soon as I let go off the throttle! And even if I try to rev it up it'll sound like its not getting enough gas.. it revs up a couple hundred rpm's and backfires through the carb.. it almost sounds as if I was trying to take off from zero in 5th gear! Nothing is seized though! I dissasembled the head and the piston and cylinder are fine! Rebuilt the carb, replaced the ignition source coil.. I don't know what to do anymore.. compression test shows 90 psi Specs are 128 psi but i'm not sure if I trust my compression tester.. any ideas? Thanks!!

• Like 1

Clean the  carb and  look  closely  at it for  plugged  holes  in the  sides of the jet  tubes . Blow  out the  passages  in the  carb too.  Your  description of the  problem  is classic lean  running from  fuel  starvation caused  by a plugged  jet or passage .

• Like 1

Done, done and done! I just rebuilt the carb yesterday with brand new parts.. the carb is clean! I noticed it's spitting gas mist from the carburetor as if the intake valve wasn't closing all the way! Valve clearances seem good and timing too! 

• Like 1

I agree with @davefrombc sounds like a lean issue. Check out this similar topic:

* Added full ATV info into topic title.

Check any wires near your throttle. My polaris trailboss was acting similar and I have a short that acts up whenever I use the throttle.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      My name is Asen and I am from Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. Riding a Yamaha Raptor 700R and this is my first Quad wanted for a vey long time :)

• By Dee Morris
      I bought my big bear in 2009, never had a bit of problem with it until last year. It quit starting but still would click when I tried to start it. I replaced the solenoid, the cdi module ( it was burned on one corner) and this year replaced the battery. I have all lights but still will not start and I do not have the clicking when I try to start it. Can anyone give me any ideas what to try next? I haven't had any luck finding videos about the 2008 Big Bear. I'm trying to avoid the expense of sending it to the shop. 
    • By Ajmboy
      For anyone looking for Yamaha Grizzly service manuals, please check the downloads section: Yamaha Grizzly Service & Repair Manuals
    • By Ajmboy
      View File Yamaha YT60L ATC Service Manual
      Yamaha YT60L ATC Service Manual
      Submitter Ajmboy Submitted 06/02/2020 Category Yamaha ATV  
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By gordomanotas
      Hi everybody.
      I found a manual for the Grizzlies, which I do not see on the main thread of manuals by Oxidized Black

• By h1000101b
      STREET LEGAL - ONE OF A KIND HARLEY DAVIDSON 4-WHEELER $9,500 OBO Sporster 883 bored to 1200cc built into a Street Legal Licensed and Insured 4-Wheeler. It has 400ex front end, 250r Rear end. All chromed out with new black gloss paint. I have a $500 Dakota Digital Speedometer to go with it (needs installed). I also have an extra rear gear and extra set of off-road mud tires and rims. Brakes need to be adjusted, and there's a few other touch ups that will place it into show quality. I haven't started it in a while. Ran Great last run. This bike has over $20k invested in work and time. It will go about 120 mph or more. With the other gear it will go about 60 mph. It rides great on and off road. It brings trophies and turns heads at shows. Shoot me a message or offer if interested. (May entertain trades). I will entertain any offers. This is your only chance to own a Street Legal 4 wheeler. Currently titles and registered in KY.

• By Steve Bethany Poston
      I just got an old YFM200DX Moto 4 and upon checking the oil in the rear differential I took out I assume the fill plug and it fished out old nasty oil. I plan on flushing the oil and replacing but was wanting to make sure if you drain bottom plug and just fill up to the check plug. Only thing I can think of someone filled it up by the breather on top? Plan on unhooking the hose and blowing it out tomorrow. I also do not have a service manual yet. Also right now the diff vent hose just goes up under the tank to nothing. Does it plug into back hole in the air box? Thanks 
    • By Ben Cramp
      I am hoping one of you knowledgable people can answer this for me. I have a yfm200 moto 4 engine I want to put in an off road go kart. I would like to mount a sproket where the drive exits the case before the u joint so that I can get rid of drive shaft and make engine bay compact. To do this I would mount engine 90° to axle but would also need to tilt it forward 15° to account for the angle the drive exists rear of casing. Would that be ok? Would oil pump etc still work. Any advice greatly recieved.

• By oxidized_black
      Yamaha ATV manuals are located in the downloads section here at QUADCRAZY.
      Please visit the downloads section at https://www.quadcrazy.com/files/
      Get 15% at emanualsonline.com with coupon code EMOAFF
      Get 20% at emanualsonline.com with coupon code BLAZE and $50 purchase
      Clymer ATV Manual - Yamaha Raptor 700R