Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

mark7170

1988 Suzuki LT 250 S quadrunner wont start.

Hey folks, brand newbie here.  I just bought a pair of near identical quads, the difference is that 1 is a 1988 and 1 is a 1989.  The 89 runs and the 88 does not.  Turn the key up 1 click,  no neutral or reverse lights.  2 clicks, still no neutral or reverse lights but the speedometer lights come on.  Switch to run and hit the start button and nothing.  Since I have 2 of the same and 1 runs I'm ok switching out parts.....but where do I start?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

20180711_205739_1531397329355.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to QUADCRAZY, I moved your topic into the Suzuki forum. I would swap the ignition switch from the 89 and see if it starts.

Hey Ajmboy, thanks for the suggestion.  Here is how I got this one started.  Going through the factory Suzuki manual (which I downloaded from Quadcrazy...THANK YOU GUYS!!!) I ran a diagnostic and found out the reverse switch was bad.  I swapped In a reverse switch and got back my neutral and reverse lights.  Plus, I now have ignition.  The neutral and reverse switches are tied in to each other on this bike so if 1 is bad, neither light works.  Both switches need to work to get push button ignition.

Will your quad pull start if a switch is bad?

Not sure, but I think the switch and the pull are independant systems.  

I tried pull starting one with no success

Having exactly the same problem. Need the factory manual to work out what's going on, but need 10 posts...

On 8/24/2018 at 6:37 PM, keppelk said:

Having exactly the same problem. Need the factory manual to work out what's going on, but need 10 posts...

Same problem here

On 7/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, mark7170 said:

Did you get it going??

On 7/15/2018 at 12:50 PM, mark7170 said:

Hey folks, brand newbie here.  I just bought a pair of near identical quads, the difference is that 1 is a 1988 and 1 is a 1989.  The 89 runs and the 88 does not.  Turn the key up 1 click,  no neutral or reverse lights.  2 clicks, still no neutral or reverse lights but the speedometer lights come on.  Switch to run and hit the start button and nothing.  Since I have 2 of the same and 1 runs I'm ok switching out parts.....but where do I start?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks!

20180711_205739_1531397329355.jpg

Good looking bike!  Good luck.  

On 7/31/2018 at 9:11 PM, mark7170 said:

Did you get it running?

On 7/27/2018 at 6:48 AM, mark7170 said:

Hey Ajmboy, thanks for the suggestion.  Here is how I got this one started.  Going through the factory Suzuki manual (which I downloaded from Quadcrazy...THANK YOU GUYS!!!) I ran a diagnostic and found out the reverse switch was bad.  I swapped In a reverse switch and got back my neutral and reverse lights.  Plus, I now have ignition.  The neutral and reverse switches are tied in to each other on this bike so if 1 is bad, neither light works.  Both switches need to work to get push button ignition.

My buddy did the same thing.  Got two, got another one for parts, needed up getting another one and now we’re trying to get three running. One for his wife, one for him, and one for me.  If we can figure out the whole not wanting to idle and smoking real bad things. 😜

I also need more posts and a manual. 

The electric start spins but won’t engage and the manual pull start is very hard to pull, it seems like more than compression but I am new to these quads

I assume the lever on top of the head is a decompression lever?

I had a lot of trouble getting a 2001 LT F250F running. It seems that they are sensitive to the gas around here so using ethanol free gas is a start also, the carb must be shiny clean and make sure that you check and adjust the valve clearance

Do you need the decompression lever for the electric starter?

Nope, the decomp lever would only be required when pull starting - the electric starting issue may be just that your battery is low. Need to do a load test on it.

i believe there is a decompression lever.Is there an open hole near speedometer??

I don’t think The battery was an issue because I was jumping it.  Starter spins well but doesn’t seem to engage. I just got two of these bikes, one two wheel drive and one four wheel drive, both are in rough shape with the wiring home remedied. 

To follow up on my previous post, I am new to quads so all assistance is much appreciated. I hate to see old vehicles discarded instead of repaired 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Old Quads ?

Hi I recently bought a 1996 Yamaha Big bear 350 for a good price it was a bit rough and ready but for what I’m gonna be using it for its sound just that each time I go looking i find more faults ie rear swing arm seal leaking, uj on prop, oil from the transfer case blah blah blah I don’t know if I’m being too picky but I like things right but also I’m wondering is it worth it ???

By Belmontie, in General Talk - Anything Goes!

• 1 reply
    • Honda 2013 420 reverse problem

My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?

By Keith Proudman, in Honda ATV Forum

• 6 replies
    • How did you get into Quads?

Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.  

By Mikey69, in General ATV Discussion

• 163 replies
    • Bike/brand of choice?

So one thing I enjoy about Quadcrazy is the amount of diversity when it comes to the bike/brand of choice.   We all hear about so many different brands/types that we need help or helping out with!  Myself ive had just about every brand bike except for a Suzuki which I’m currently seeking as my next project😜. I currently have 5 quads and they are all different in brand except for two Honda’s one of which is a newer bike fuel injected. I have to say so far through all the bikes I’ve worked on my brand of choice would be Honda! I think they make a great product!  I love the older carburetor bikes!  Now I’m sure some of the other members feel differently and I would like to hear your bike of choice and why?  Wether it be the repairs, handling, look, safety, simplicity, electronics etc!!!!!!! One of the reasons I bring this up is I have friend that recently purchased a can am new!  I asked him why a can am after all the years of Polaris?  He said it’s a nice looking bike and wanted to try something new. He has rode the bike three or four times and hated it!  So a trip back to the dealer he traded it in for a Polaris and he’s very happy now.  A costly mistake since he lost money on the can am but back to his Polaris that he said he will never stray again.  Let’s hear it ! 

By Frank Angerano, in General ATV Discussion

• 17 replies
    • 2001 warrior runs great in reverse but dies letting out clutch in 1st

Hope someone can help. It runs perfectly in reverse..but dies while letting out the clutch in first. i can take off a little in first and second but it'll die out. It has excellent power in reverse though? it's a 2000 warrior 350. it's impossible to shift into neutral while it's running. 

By buddybeans, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 2 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By davefrombc
      View File 1985-90 Suzuki LT230 / 250 service manual
      Service manual for the Suzuki  LT230 /  LT250 1985-90
      LT230GE
      LT-F230G
      LT230S
      LT250S

Submitter davefrombc Submitted 07/12/2017 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By davefrombc
      Service manual for the Suzuki  LT230 /  LT250 1985-90
      LT230GE
      LT-F230G
      LT230S
      LT250S

• By dctaz37
      I recently rebuilt the motor on my neighbor's quad and I accidentally burnt the manual and now they are asking what oil to use so they can have some on hand. I know it was 10W40 but there was a minimum specifications like sp or sh. Also, does anyone know where I can get a cheap manual for this atv so I can replace the one I destroyed.
    • By dctaz37
      Can anyone help me price out the labor for the following work? I did the work for a friend and wanted to know a ball park on how much it would have cost to have done.
      Description of work done:
      changed oil and filter
      removed and installed:
      plastic fenders,exhaust,racks,head,cylinder,valves,piston,battery,air box,air filter,carburetor
      repaired fender cracks
      repaired winch cable+controls
      replaced cylinder rings+intake valve
      rewired to bypass faulty switches
      replaced starter button spring
      fixed many lost bolts
      adjusted rear brakes
      installed gas cap vent
      cleaned carburetor
      adjusted valves
      2 plugs in left rear tire