Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

260cc Linhai oil in air filter box

oakleyz

hi there folks

i hope someone can give me some advice on the problem i,m having with my recently bought atv , it,s a 260cc Linhai 4stroke engine from 2005 with 2300 Miles on it

and the problem is that i keep finding oil in my airfilterbox ,allot

and it,s not airfilter oil as i need a dry airfilter

it looks like it gets blown in thrue a tube that is connected from the engine

does annyone know something about this ??

and is it normal that air is blowing out the oilfilling opening with allot of pressure??

i noticed when filling the oil and having the engine running stationary

sorry for the misspells as i live in the Netherlands

and thanks in advance oakleyz

• 2 weeks later...

The tube going from your Airbox is a Crank Case Tube.....The only way (the way I see it) the oil can get in the Air box is through there.....

2 Things can cause this...Overfilling the Oil which causes more pressure Build up thus the oil getting in the Airbox....Or,,,,,Bad piston Rings.....

If you dont have Blue Smoke coming out the Tail Pipe then its not the Rings.....

Another Thing......

You dont want a DRY FILTER.....All Filters(At least the ones that I know about) use some sort of Filter oil.....That is what Catches the Particles.......Dry is not good.....

The tube going from your Airbox is a Crank Case Tube.....The only way (the way I see it) the oil can get in the Air box is through there.....

2 Things can cause this...Overfilling the Oil which causes more pressure Build up thus the oil getting in the Airbox....Or,,,,,Bad piston Rings.....

If you dont have Blue Smoke coming out the Tail Pipe then its not the Rings.....

Another Thing......

You dont want a DRY FILTER.....All Filters(At least the ones that I know about) use some sort of Filter oil.....That is what Catches the Particles.......Dry is not good.....

Thanks for the reply

yeah your wright the oil comes in thrue the tube i can see that inside the airfilterbox

i don,t have blue smoke either and the crankcase was empty while the airfilterbox was filled with oil

and i did find out that my quad uses a dry airfilter

do bad piston rings allso cause a bad cold start??

thanks for the help

oakleyz

Well here is my Suggestion then.....I would Drain the Oil......Then I would fill it up with the Recommended Amount of oil.....Remove the Airbox and Vent Tube and clean with Carb Cleaner....Make sure that you Wipe it down clean...Reinstall....Fire the Bike up and let it run for about 2 min. then shut it down and Recheck your Oil...

Sounds to me like you had it too full to begin with.....Or,,,,,Have you ever had the Bike on its Rear End for long Periods of time?????

Hope this helps....

Well here is my Suggestion then.....I would Drain the Oil......Then I would fill it up with the Recommended Amount of oil.....Remove the Airbox and Vent Tube and clean with Carb Cleaner....Make sure that you Wipe it down clean...Reinstall....Fire the Bike up and let it run for about 2 min. then shut it down and Recheck your Oil...

Sounds to me like you had it too full to begin with.....Or,,,,,Have you ever had the Bike on its Rear End for long Periods of time?????

Hope this helps....

hi there i almost already did what you asked

i hav evenbeen driving for 1 hour instead of 2 min

and after 1 hour of dricing there was a drop of oil again in the airfilterbox

and i bought the quad second hand so it could be that the quad was on his back

and the owner never told me because it was an ex-rental quad

i,ll take a picture today and post it here

so you can see

anny idea about the bad starting is maybe connected to this oil problem?

grets scott

Sounds like he did have it on its "Back".....Im glad that that seemed to do the Trick for ya....

On the Starting thing....It could be any number of things but where I would start first is the Spark Plug....Install a new one with the proper GAP....Make sure your Valves are Adjusted Properly....Carb could be a Key factor here too....You need Air/Fuel/Spark to start something...The first thing you need is Air.....Try taking the Filter out of it....Then Start it.....If it Starts easy then you know its your Filter....And So on

Yeah you never know how that thing was ridden if it was a rental...It does sound like you are in better shape with it.

true ,

but the guy who sold me the qaud was allso the owner and the tour guide

and he said nothing to bad ever happend to them

just plastic dammage

and ruined piston rings in 1500miles

i don,t know what to believe annymore

i just know the quad still won,t cold start and oil keeps comming in the box...

thanks guys

Sounds like he did have it on its "Back".....Im glad that that seemed to do the Trick for ya....

On the Starting thing....It could be any number of things but where I would start first is the Spark Plug....Install a new one with the proper GAP....Make sure your Valves are Adjusted Properly....Carb could be a Key factor here too....You need Air/Fuel/Spark to start something...The first thing you need is Air.....Try taking the Filter out of it....Then Start it.....If it Starts easy then you know its your Filter....And So on

Did you try this?????

Not sure what to say about the Oil in the Airbox anymore.....Take a look at the top end....It might need Rings....But,,,,,You say no Smoke??? At this point....Im out of Ideas....If you dont know how to work on it....I say take it to a Dealer and have them Deal with it...:laugh:

Which does yours look like???

3.jpg

4.jpg

hi there again

just went to an ATV shop and bought a new sparlplugg and got some info

mine did look like the one "dry and wet fouling"

but no luck on the starting with a new sparkplugg

, the mechanic from the shop thought it could be the

electric choke on the carburator

just to replace this would be $140,-

and there hourly fee is $80,-

so i,m not quit shure to bring it to a dealer ....yet

because if it,s not the electric choke they probably to

will spend hours locating the problem and my pockets are emty :)

thanks for the help guys

scott

• Admin changed the title to 260cc Linhai oil in air filter box