Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Russs

2005 Polaris Sportsman problem starting

I have a 2006 Polaris 500 sports man and having trouble starting it and keeping it running.  

Edited by Russs

So I'm assuming it cranks and it's not your starter and it just wont start up and stay running, right?

* Added ATV info into topic title and moved to Polaris ATV forum.

Yes, the starter is good, the battery is good, the silanoid is good.  I can get it to start by spraying started fluid in the carbrator however it Comes on at a high rpm and then sits off.  I did drain the old gas out a put fresh in it.  

Sounds like the Carburetor...  If it it is starting with Starter fluid that means you have Ignition and spark. It's probably not getting gas from the carburetor. It might need to be rebuilt. Did you have a fuel filter between the gas tank and Carb?

I’m not sure.  What would it look like.  There is a white tube that is connected to a hose going to the carburetor.  Any thoughts other than that.  Also you say I would need to rebuild the carburetor.  What would that install?

A fuel filter goes after the gas tank but before the carburetor to clean the fuel of any debris that might make its way into the carburetor and clog the jets. Here is a generic picture of one. To rebuild a carburetor you have to take it completely apart and clean and soak the parts. You buy a rebuild kit that contains gaskets and parts that usually wear out. If you are not comfortable with rebuilding the carburetor you can buy new ones pretty cheap. Around $50.

Fuel_Filter_-_Plastic_150cc_to_400cc_ATV_300cc_2x4_4x4_and_4x4_IRS_1.jpg

So can you clean the filter or do you just replace it.  As for the  carburetor it is the original one so changing it out would probably be best.  Where do you recommend getting one from?

Normally you replace the filter if it has one. Or you put one in to protect the carburetor if it does not have one.. Factory parts are always best.. If you clean you carburetor very well and rebuild it , it should work like new.  I myself have used aftermarket replacement carburetors that sell for around $50 on Ebay with no problems. Find a seller with positive reviews. I only use them if the factory carburetor is beyond repair or missing.

So once I replace the  carburetor and the filter I can go ahead and start it up normally?  Do I need to prime anything?

If it has a choke use it for a few seconds and then open the choke and it should start. It does not take much for the carburetor bowl to fill and be ready. I would still open the carburetor first and rinse it out.. lots of times the debris falls out while cleaning. If you are careful and don't ruin the gaskets you can possibly get away without a rebuild kit. I would do that for peace of mind. If it even just runs a little better after cleaning it you know for sure it is a carburetor problem before you spend the money on a new caburetor..

10 hours ago, Russs said:

So what do you use to clean it.  Carb cleaner, water, wD-40

Carb cleaner and compressed air.

Thank you for the comments and help!   I will be taking it apart today.

I use a combination of Spray Carburetor Cleaner and then also soak the parts in Brake Cleaner.  Make sure to get the service manual for the carburetor before you take it apart and read through it. Let us know how it goes.

So I took the carburetor out as much as I could.  Not sure how to disconnect the throttle line and one other line going in.  Did discover that the rubber intake was worn and is more than likely the problem.  I pushed the carb. into it the best I could and it started right up and even idled for a bit.  I have ordered some parts and a manual.  I will be back at it next week when they arrive.  I really appreciated the help.  Hope to be up an running very soon.  

Ok, Put everything in, changed all the fluids, Plug, and it starts up and runs.  Did adjust the the idle and for the most part runs good.  There are two issues Im still having and would love your thoughts.  

1- I start it every day and let it run for about 5 min.  Some days it starts right up and others I have to pull the chock out and restart.  So inconstant starting, which makes me nervous being on the trail and having an issue.  

2- When running in low and high some times skips or misses.  When running in revers, misses alot to the point you have to stop and let the idle catch back up.