Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Venom

2006 Kawasaki Prairie KVF700D 4X4 Mean Green Restore

Hi All, I finished up my Prairie 400 restore and this is my next project..  It is a 2006 Kawasaki Prairie KVF700D 4X4 Mean Green Special Edition. I got this for next to nothing , it is in really rough shape. The current owner stated that the engine is seized and he only rode it twice after putting on brand new tires. It has been sitting in the yard under a tarp for more than two years.. Here it is when I brought it home. Actually in those photos I had already removed the recoil starter cover and put a 19MM socket on the bolt with a breaker bar to gently see if the motor was seized. I got lucky it is not seized and moves like it should until you start to feel it bind.  If I am lucky this could be a timing chain or dropped valve.  I will start tearing it down..

IMG_20180803_164413836.jpg

IMG_20180803_164428578.jpg

IMG_20180803_164442070.jpg

IMG_20180803_164452929.jpg

IMG_20180803_164501802.jpg

IMG_20180803_165855684_HDR.jpg

Getting it stripped down and I am a little worried. I see paint markings on the cylinders.. F and R designating front and rear cylinders.. That means someone has been in here before.... 

IMG_20180806_104618651.jpg

IMG_20180806_104627858.jpg

IMG_20180806_113236608.jpg

IMG_20180806_113246420.jpg

Ok, I took off the Rear Head first and found a broken timing chain and the piston had hit the intake valves.. I don't know if you will be able to see from the photo of the valves. They are stuck open and binding. The top of the piston looks fine. I then removed the cylinder. They cylinder looks to be in great condition, but I do not think these are factory pistons..  I took off the front head and everything looks great. Took off the front cylinder and it looks great. Same non factory looking piston on the front.  I then checked the connecting rod on the rear cylinder, it feels nice and tight with no play when pulling it straight up and down and moves smoothly like it should on the crank shaft. Then I checked the front connecting rod and there is a slight amount of play when moving it up and down.. I do not think that is a good sign.. Ok, this where I need advice and help.. When I was a kid I used to build V8 muscle car engines like it was nothing, but I have never done anything other than rings or valves in these type engines.. Everything in the bottom end has always been great.  So I am guessing I need a valve job with new Valves, springs, Etc.. All timing Chains replaced. I will check the cam for tolerances as well as the other head parts to see if they need to be replaced.  So here is my question Other than rod bearings should I be replacing anything else on the bottom end? Are these known for wearing out parts on the bottom end?  Should I try going back to factory pistons after I check to see the size of these and if the cylinders were bored? If this was your engine what would you do?  Thanks for any help...

IMG_20180807_113100504.jpg

IMG_20180807_112830412.jpg

IMG_20180807_112921929.jpg

Edited by Venom

So is there a Kawasaki Engine Guru on this forum?  I would like to get some confirmation on how to proceed.  The service manual is good, but experience and tips are best...   :)

Wow, nobody can offer any advice? I would like to know since the front cylinder connecting rod has a little play in it on the crank, can just replace the connecting rod bearings on the front cylinder without splitting the crankcase?  Everything else seems great with no play in the bottom end.