Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

TRX300 Deer Getter

1993 Honda TRX300 No Spark

Hey all,

First time poster here.  I have a '93 TRX300 with no spark.  Measuring 100 volts pulsing at the coil then declining down to 90, 80, 70, 60 and so on.  I assume it's the coil.  If there's voltage to the coil then everything else should be in working order, right?

Thanks for your help,

Deer Getter

Sounds like it could be the coil. They are cheap on Amazon, I would try and swap it out to see.

Honda TRX300 Ignition Coil

* Added ATV year and manufacturer to topic title.

• Like 1

I haven't checked anything upstream of the coil because i'm getting voltage to the coil.  I just don't have a repair manual so I don't know what voltage i should expect.  I ordered a coil from amazon so if that doesn't work i'll start more diagnosis.   

I had a no spark issue and it ended up being a R/B wire that was not connected on the main harness - if you've shaken down everything else already might want to look for wiring gremlins.

I just fixed my 1993 Honda 300fw four trax.    Replaced the  i c m  ECM or what ever it is called.  Computer module.   Unit rides in a little harness right in front of the steering column.   Remove front cowling and replace  Very easy to do.   Was getting no spark.   Replace the module and bingo.  Cranked right up.

On 8/19/2018 at 9:04 PM, JSRinHSV said:

I just fixed my 1993 Honda 300fw four trax.    Replaced the  i c m  ECM or what ever it is called.  Computer module.   Unit rides in a little harness right in front of the steering column.   Remove front cowling and replace  Very easy to do.   Was getting no spark.   Replace the module and bingo.  Cranked right up.

Sweet, appreciate the insight.  I have a coil i'm going to try today, if that doesn't work i'll move to the ECM.  

On 8/15/2018 at 3:53 PM, Thelostsinner said:

I had a no spark issue and it ended up being a R/B wire that was not connected on the main harness - if you've shaken down everything else already might want to look for wiring gremlins.

Good call, there's always a chance Stuart Little got in there for a midnight snack...I'm hoping a new coil works for me, if not i'll download the service manual and move upstream to the computers and control modules.  

I'm have the same issue so thanks for help. I'll look for wires that are chew on first.

The little box up front is called a cdi module.A common problem on the older units.Just ordered one for a neighbor,a cdi box,new coil,as a package,less than 20 bucks from ebay.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By tomlad
      hi all first post  just found forum and the manuals / wiring diagram BIG THANK YOU
      im struggling to find the vin number on my frame? I m told left side of frame , lower, nr. in front of the gear pedal ?? haven't found it yet , is it numbers stamped on the frame or a commission plate ??
      main prob. no spark no power to coil , off to study the wiring info I've just found
      thanks again. tom
    • By mike13ortega
      hey i recently bought a 1988 honda fourtrax trx300 2wd that dosnt run, it has no spark when i tryied kickstarting it the neutral light comes right up so i thought it may have some spark but checked it with the sparkplug against the frame and electric starting it and NO SPARK!!! so i dont know what might be wrong, i checked all the wiring and it all looks good, i put my honda recon coil it it and still no spark so im left with maybe a bad cdi??? or what else could it be??? any help please
    • By Todd Trask
      Well, I received stator, pick and new key switch asembly. I have great spark. Thanks to all whom responded.
      NOW it Starts up with hesitation. Idles good , give a little gas it boggs down, back fires & dies instantly. Will start up after it back fires
      DID I MESS WITH TIMING
    • By Rich Arno
      Hello. I'm new so I hope I'm posting in the right place. My neighbor gave me a nice looking Bayou 220, but I can't get any fire to the plug. No lights, nothing. So far I've put in a brand new battery and relay. So those are good for sure. No neutral light comes on when the key is turned. Where should I start to try to figure out this electrical problem? I have a new coil to install, but common sense tells me it has to be something before that. I'm cheap so taking it to the dealer is out of the question. Does anyone know the process of elimination in a situation like this? I'd might add it LOOKS like the wires are all where they belong, but I can't say they are for sure. If the machine wasn't in such great shape, I wouldn't bother, but the grandkids should have a lot of fun on this. Thank you in advance for any help someone can offer.
    • By cbbubby78
      Ok here is what happened. I notice a four wheeler at sitting in the weeds at my moms house.she said it had been there about a year and that she got tired of messing with it and told me to take it. i cleaned up the carb real good (it was pretty nasty) and put it back on, cleaned out the gas tank , put some gas in it. i was surprised but it started and ran fairly well. i rode it a few times, never for very long and then my little girl lost the key to it. since i couldn't find it i decided to just use a toggle switch and bypass ignition. when i got it hooked up for some reason i pushed the kill switch on the handlebar to off. when i did that i heard a pop which turned out to be the fuse. slid that switch back over, replaced the fuse, and tried to start it but no luck. It had been running good enough that it would start first pull with the rope. now it is not getting any fire to the plug. Does anybody know where i need to start troubleshooting the issue or why it blew the fuse. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Similar Tagged Content