Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Flanstone

1985 Honda TRX250 shifter issues

I just bought two 1985 TRX250's from my father-in-law. One runs great, the other not so much. The one is having issues with the shifter. The shifter seems to be resting lower than normal. When I press the shifter downward, it just pops back up. Any thougjts as to what the issue might be?

does the increase / decrease play adjustment on the side of the case affect this ?

Mark S

The what????

tahj

Wow 85’s nice.  

Does it look like the shifter was ever taken off ? Did it slip down maybe lol it was slammed down ?

also do the other gears work ?

my 2006 250 recon has an occasional problem shifting. It seems as tho the lever is not connected even tho I can see the round shift rod moving when I depress the shift lever. I play with it and it kicks in and shifts normally for a day or two and then acts up again. Any thoughts ??

I also experience shifter issues on our honda.. this forum has me learning a lot.. thanks guys.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Kelby 746
      I have a 1987-89 (not sure on the year) Kawasaki bayou 300 that has electrical issues, I have replaced the entire harness with a proven good/used one, new CDI box, and two brand new coils, problem is that it tests no charge at the pickup coil, so I replaced and tested again with a so called good one that had been salvaged out of a blown up 220/250 (not sure which, the left side cover is smaller than my 300) in Missouri. It has a proven good OEM stator. I am trying to avoid buying a new start and pickup coil because it is so expensive so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.
    • By JacobSlabach
      recently picked up some project bikes off CL for cheap.  got a honda fourtrax (the ancient 4x4 kind with the straight axle in the front as well as the rear and a back-up kick-start)  plastics are crap, but my goal is to get running like a champ and patch the plastics up and sell to one of my many friends that want a reliable 4x4 for dirt cheap and doesnt care what it looks like.
      so the former owner says it needs carb rebuilt, but its sat for 3+ years since so who knows.  things I see:  carb is missing (he gave me a box of parts along with the bike), engine turns over and feels good with kick-start, brakes need work, battery missing (That always puts me off, cause then I know most likely someone's been tampering with the electrical.
    • By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
    • By Squirrel
      So I bought a Bayou 220 as me 'Black Friday' score, and was informed it has carb issues.. 
      A little history from the previous owner: they suspected the carb was bad as it was 'running like crap' so they did a rebuid kit on it. Didn't fix issue so they took it to a shop where the tech installed an aftermarket(?) carb, but had to modify the throttle cable to get it to work. Quad ran great at 1/4 throttle, but anything above that and the throttle would stick and the machine would run like garbage again.
      What I know and think: I hear carb issues are common and fairly easy to fix. Also, I think they used the 'universal' rebuild kit that claims '88-'11, but the jets and such were different from '00-'03 (gaskets, etc. appear to be the same) so their original attempt was a good idea, just not good enough.
      They did give me the original carburetor with the 4-wheeler, but it has the wrong internals. I'm thinking if I can get the right jets, springs, etc for the rebuild, I should be able to get this thing running right. Of course, I still need to charge the battery back up, change all the fluids, replace fuel lines, plug and wire.. ya know, the basics for a machine that's been sitting for roughly 9 months. lol
    • By Brian T. Aichinger
      I have a 2017 can am 570 outlander max that is having issues with the powersteering going out and the speedo quits working. anyone else having or heard of these issues?  everything else on the display cluster is working and I hear no noises as far as the powersteering unit, the dealer did change the steering unit because of the recall.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Tyler Autry
      Recently started shifting hard from neutral to first causing it to stall. I'm able to lift up on the shifter and throttle up and slowly let off the shifter, like driving a standard. That is the only way to get it In gear and stay running. Also if I come to a stop and keep it in gear it wants to continue moving, eventually stalling out. I don't have much experience with the bottom end or clutches. I just now replaced friction and steel plates and that made no difference. Don't know what to do now.
    • By Ineedabrew
      Hello all,
      I have brought an 84 TRX 200 back to life and unfortunately whomever dug into it first removed the two trim pieces that go around the gas tank.  I was thinking someone on the site may have an old parts bike with these pieces lying around.....  If so, drop me a message and we can make a deal.  I just want to complete the bike!
      Thanks,
      Jason

• By Jeni Lynn
      2012 Rancher ES-- only when driving in 4x4 when I get to about 15-18mph there is a loud clunk in the front end and a hard downward jerk. Its almost as if its trying to downshift itself. It doesn't do it in 2 wheel drive.  I have checked the angle shift sensor and applied dielectric grease to it, changed the front end differential fluid (the old still looked good and clean) checked and adjusted the clutch. Hopefully someone can give me some more ideas. 
    • By Connor Tuftin
      I have a 1988 300 Honda FourTrax, All wheel drive.
      My brother and I were fixing up this quad. We put a brand new battery and fuses in and it was running fine until we put the quad into reverse. As soon as it was put into reverse all of the electrical cut out and power wasn't making it to the head unit anymore and both of the brand new fuses popped. We figured there might have been a short from the starter or solenoids, but they are all working properly. At this point we don't know where to start looking for where the short could be. I'm just wondering if anybody has had the same issue or knows of similar issues that could cause these electrical shorts?
    • By Derick Joel Smith Trimmings
      Buying a Baja 250 tomorrow for 600 bucks, needs nothing but a wheel bearing, i already know Baja is an off brand crappier. Manufacturer, but does anyone have any tips or knowledge of these bikes?