Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Goose1963

Little help please

I hav a 2006 Yamaha Bruin 250. It was given to me in pieces(engine) got the head back on and I have a few problems.

after installing the cam gear and chain I turn the engine over back to the timing mark and my mark on the gear is 180 out. 

So I reset the timing and thinking I needed to put the tensioner in and I can’t install it. 

And now some how the transmission is in gear and can’t get it back in neutral. 

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

Update. Got it back in neutral. Think I will pull the stator to reset the timing that way. Still curious about the tensioner tho

20 hours ago, God Got Good said:

Does this help?

Update. Got it back in neutral. Think I will pull the stator to reset the timing that way. Still curious about the tensioner tho.

yes after some research I found that. Thank you.

so now I have to get to the crank because I don’t understand why when I install the timing chain with cam and crank at tdc when I turn the engine over by hand back to the “T” I’m 180 out at that point

Posted (edited)

If you have the piston at TDC you should install the cam with the lobes facing down. That will put you at TDC on the compression stroke. Install the cam sprocket into the chain with the marks lining up to whatever they should line up with (different by brand), and bolt the sprocket onto the cam. Then spin it over counter-clockwise by hand and the marks should still line up. This is for all 4 strokes.

Rob

Edited by rdlsz24
  • Like 1

Yes I had the piston at tdc with the “T” in the hole with the plug removed. I spun the cam over so when the sprocket is installed the pin and the line on the gear is pointing to (12 O’ clock) towards the point on the head. Everything is at tdc.