Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Sign in to follow this  
Resurgence Small Engine Inc.

Cleaning a Nikasil Plated Cylinder

In this video, Jonathan describes how he cleaned a Nikasil plated cylinder.

Aluminum cylinders are often coated with a harder material such as Nikasil (Nickel Silicon Carbide). Over time, the softer aluminum of the pistons can rub off onto the cylinder. When rebuilding the top-end, this should be cleaned off.

This can be done using hydrochloric acid which reacts with aluminum to produce hydrogen gas and aluminum chloride, which washed off with water. Since Nikasil is resistant to corrosion, it is undamaged and protects the cylinder during this process.

Here is the chemical reaction:

2 Al (s) + 6 HCl (aq) → 2 AlCl3 (aq) + 3 H2 (g)

Resurgence Small Engine Inc.

ATV, Snowmachine, Motorcycle, & Outdoor Power Equipment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• By crochet homemade
      I have bought a 1996 suzuki king quad 300 and I have noticed that it smokes but I have put oil in it and plenty of gas had to fix shifter bc the nuts and bolts came out somewhere. I have had to replace the wire for the starter but now when I try to start it it wont idle at all and when it does run it smokes really bad like a whitish blue I guess, and it likes to stall a lot. So anybody can help me out please and thank you

10000000_310855426253462_714534016610467840_n.mp4
    • By YamahaGrizzly
      So my Yamaha grizzly 700 wasn't going into reverse for some reason but Jon and George figured it out on what to do to fix that problem for me. Jon Talks about how he was able to fix that problem my Yamaha Grizzly was having with the reverse.
      On a side note we are so close to 1k subs! hell ya!
    • By Tahj
      I bought a 2003 Recon from a kid that beat it – all plastics cracked etc, When I replaced the rear brake the inside – axle, rear oil  - were clean and in good shape, so I think Honda won the kid vs quad battle.
      It shifts a little clunky (I made the adjustment) and after riding for a while I get a hot friction material smell I wonder if he used the wrong oil and if any damage was done.
    • By gouletp
      The thing sat since Christmas 2018 and while I decided whether to replace the starter (which I finally did today).  I am not sure if I added fuel stabilizer or not but chances are good I did.  I kept the one year-old battery well charged during the winter.  It turns over well but won't start.  I have a blue spark on a brand new plug.  When I pour a bit of fuel down the cylinder, the engine starts and runs for a few seconds (once for as long as about 8 sections) and then dies.  Even before adding fuel to the cylinder I noticed that the spark plug was wet with fuel.
      The air filter looks a bit dirty so I removed it just to see if the engine would start better but it made no difference.
      If the fuel did not contain stabilizer then the carb may be gummed up.  I don't really want to remove the carb to do a thorough cleaning.  Is there a product I can spray into the carb while the engine turns over that will clean the carb?
      Any other suggestions?
      Thank you
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      In this video, Jonathan diagnoses & repairs the decompression system on a Yamaha 2003 Grizzly 660.
      Some symptoms include: Pulling recoil right out of your hand, starter turning really slowly, constant dead batteries.
      Thanks for watching!

• Similar Tagged Content

• By The1PrimeYT
      Hey everyone I was thinking if it worth boring this cylinder or it is better to get a new cylinder I bought the piston already should be coming in a few days just wondering if it worth boring

• By SilentNoise
      Hey there, new to the forum. Did some searching before posting but didn't manage to find anything, so forgive me if it's been covered before.

I've got a 1990 Quadrunner LT4WD that I got my hands on last year for super cheap (for a reason). It starts and runs great, but the plug is drowned with oil after about a half hour of use (surprisingly next to no smoke though...weird), so I'm going to look at replacing the piston, rings (one of which came out in two pieces) and the cylinder (very little scoring, but definitely saw some bad detonation at some point and needs replacing). The connecting rod thankfully has zero play in it and is silky smooth, so I'm good with how the bottom end sits at this point.

Now, a friend has a 2002 Quadrunner 4WD LT-250F that's out of commission due to basically everything other than engine issues, and has been sitting around for a few years. He says that I can just take what I need if they'll work, so I've been looking at the part numbers before we rip on his motor. I see that the part number for the cylinder is the same (11210-19B10-0F0), but the newer models have either "Model K1" or "Model K2" listed as well. Will they work with the older machines or are there a couple little things that just don't let them jive?
    • By DemonQuad666
      Hey all. I've been riding ATV's and Dirt bikes since i was like 12 or 13. Mainly trail riding, old coal mines, slag pits, farm fields, back roads ect. ect. Started on a Honda 90, then Big Red, KX 80, XR250R (which almost killed me). Bought a brand new 1999 Blaster and modded the hell out of it for MX. Sold it a year later when I found out i was gunna be a Dad. I travel all over the US for my Job. So home is where I park the 34 footer. Now that my little one is in high school and my career is booming. I need a project.  I've always wanted a TRX 250R. Ever since i was a kid and the neighbor down the road bought one brand new in 1988.  So, I've been doing research, shopping around, started a secret Quad fund, and talking to people. Well come to find out one of my fellow Electricians on my job site who works for our customer is/was a fellow ATV Enthusiast. Our mutual love for 2 strokes sparked a conversation about rebuilds and restores. Something I have never really done but He had. long story short, He offered me a deal on a 89 LT250R Crate bike. one I couldn't refuse. In a week or two we are going to clean out his storage shed which is full of  chassis, motors, parts parts parts. Load it all up and bring it to his new house. In return for my volunteering to help he said the Suzuki is mine FREE!!!!! I plan on documenting the entire build and hopefully in a few months i'll be screaming down the trails. Updates to come and I'm sure many many questions to follow... Untill then ... Deuces 
    • By BeardedBackWoods
      We have a 2wd Bear Tracker that was flooded out by a tornado and I've since been trying to get it right. I've cleared the water out of the tank and now has fresh fuel, and I've opened the carb so many times I could do it blind folded under 10min. She'll fire up as soon as you turn the key and hit the button, even on a cold start, and idles perfectly. But the second you hit the gas it bogs down and dies. I had it running GREAT for about 10-15min once and suddenly ran like shit and limped it back to the house. I've barely got it to move under its own power since. I'm at a loss at this point. Does ANYONE know of something stupid I could've missed? The carb does have a fresh rebuilt kit that I put on about a month before the flood. It was not started until it dried, I cleared the tank and opened the carb the first time. I guess I'm just gonna pull the entire thing apart again and go from there. Maybe another rebuild kit? I'm gonna swear this thing is clean though. 
      Thanks for any ideas