Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Darryl Traina

2007 Honda TRX 420 ES Rear Axle Repair/Replace

This bike has a straight axle that is moving horizontally in the housing in both directions about 2 inches. Has anyone had the same issue if so what did it take to repair it?

Thanks..

Darryl

Don't forget about the jam nuts on either side that holds it in place. I have to go through the rear end in my 07 rancher 420. The bearings are shot.

Bike is up at my hunting camp. Next trip up I'll bring it home and take pics. I have assumed the bearings are shot just not sure what else may be damaged.Thanks

Its probably just the bearings. Those gear sets are pretty tough, even if its a little pitted its fine. Not like its in a car on the road w/ 300hp.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      So yesterday I picked up a 07 polaris sportsman 800efi stealth edition for 3k.  Will lead a pic ltr.  In good shape.  Here's what's wrong with it:
      The rpm needle doesn't work just like my other sportsman... not too worried ab that.
      The motor doesn't sound like it's running quite right and doesn't feel like it has much more power than my 500.  I'm thinking it needs a tune up and some fresh oil..  but also it feels like it's running rich.  It's a little buggy when you goose the throttle and sometimes farts when you let off (like I little backfire out the exhuast). I'm gonna check timing and valave clearence on the motor first but thinking of putting a tuner on it? Anybody got a suggestion?  Mainly looking for more power.
    • By Frank Angerano
      Hello everyone, back from a crazy few months of riding, hunting and fishing! So I’ve added a storage bag to one of my bikes and loaded it up pretty good before we went out into the woods/trails etc.  My son questioned me and said what do we need all that junk for?  I told him you never know  maybe a flat tire water etc.
      Needless to say that junk came in handy.   So my question to everyone that hits the trails is what do you have or recommend to maybe take with you before you go? And what would be the one most important thing that’s a must have? 
      And also any recommendations on a  storage bag that’s not so costly and performs the best? I like my bag but not very good .

• By Richard Western
      Hi guys,
      I am hoping someone might be able to help me out. My Kawasaki 300 4x4 has an issue where it doesn't seem to want to go into neutral and also it will shift into reverse without using the lockout knob.
      If anyone can suggest what to look at it would be very much appreciated.
      Thanks.
    • By Richard Fernandez
      Just bought Kawasaki Prairie 650 vtwin 2002 and replaced old carb with new, but the bolts to hold down the air housing are missing. Anyone have any idea what size they are? I apologize for not being very mechanically inclined. Any help would be much appreciated. 
    • By KJINTF
      Been slow in starting up, in the recent past it would start up in <1/2 second of the button press with a snap. Now it takes several seconds of cranking to get going. Once going runs as it always did. Replaced the plug no change. Battery is good.
      Before I tear it apart and look things over was hoping others might have had the same experience and have a quick fix for me
      Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions to get this old machine starting quickly again as it has for 20 years.  
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Aaron Wilson
      My 1996 Yamaha Kodiak 400 has a cracked CV Axle boot and the axle wiggles back and fourth if you pull on it. It also clunks if you go from forward to reverse fast with the tires turned hard one way or the other. Im thinking a new axle will solve the problem. Can you guys walk me through the steps of replacing the CV Axle, I have never done anything like this.
      Thanks
    • Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      If you know you're going to be bashing your quad's axle over rocks and rough terrain, tape it up. Take a roll of electrical tape and generously wrap the axle from the swingarm out to the hubs. Standard electrical tape will work, but the heavy-duty thick stuff is even better. When you are done bashing you bikr though the nasty terrain, you can cut the tape off and still have that showroom shine for your next out to the dunes, where you don't have to worry about getting dings!
      Quad off-road magazine
    • By Alan Callison
      Hello boys and girls!:howdy:I need a little help if ya dont mind.I need to replace the rear axle bearings on my 400 but Im going at this blind having never done it before. Ive looked it up in the repair manual but it doesn't give any specific steps on how to do it. I've got the left rear brakes off already as I was replacing the shoes anyway. Can somebody give me a rundown on what Ive gotta do please?I know I need to pull the right wheel off just havent done that yet. Do I need to take anything apart in the final drive or elsewhere in order to yank the axle out for instance? Which side does the axle come out from,L or R? Any details I need to know will be greatly appreciated.Thanks ya'll!
    • By Alan Callison
      OK everybody,I need some help here please. My 4 wheeler has got a bad wheel bearing I discovered while starting a brake job. Its on the left side. I've never done one and I need some knowledge how to go about it. Am I to understand I need to pull the whole axle out to do it. I've done it once on a car about 30 years ago,lol. I keep looking around for a repair manual but they're hard to find without having to buy it. I looked here on this site but apparently Im too junior a member to be able to download one right now.Bummer!  One other question if I may.When I pulled the drum off the spindle a torrent of water poured out,the brake shoes were covered in mud along with everything else. I mean the drum had alot of water in it. The shoes were so locked up after I removed the springs I tried to rotate one of the shoes and it wasn't easy at all. I noticed whoever had the machine before myself had laid a bead of RTV around the back plate but apparently it didn't work. Isn't there some kind of gasket for this purpose. I saw it calls for a dust shield but surely this wont keep the brakes dry or will it. Thanks everybody.
    • By Keith Proudman
      My 2013 Honda 420 occasionally won't go into reverse. I don't think it is in the transmission as it does not make a click or noise. I think it is in the lockout. Someone told me when I ride near the ocean the salt can get on something. Any ideas?