Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

afa913

Truth about cheap top end kits

I have an old 400ex that needs the top end rebuilt, Does anyone have any real life experience with the cheaper ebay or amazon top end kits. I know most will probably say to stay away from them.   I dont have a lot of money into this bike and it isnt worth putting a whole lot into is why i ask.   It doesnt get raced or road hard, my son and i just drive around the fields.  thanks for any help

I purchased a cheap piston, rings, and gasket kit from ebay last year for my Suzuki King Quad 300. I was very skeptical when purchasing but so far I am very impressed with the results- the brand I used was Namura. I have only put about 100 miles on it since the top end rebuild and have had zero problems what so ever, and I have to admit that I probably take it too far when riding my quad and beat it very hard sometimes. The reason I replaced the original piston and rings was because it was burning oil and smoking badly, the new top end parts fixed this problem and has run like a top ever since! One thing I would recommend is to check ratings on the product itself and if possible on the seller.

Well i ordered a kit, hopefully it will work out. Ill post a review next week after i get it installed

What about break-in procedures after a new kit. Any suggestions. Seems like there are lots of mixed feeling on this subject when i search the net

Heres what I did- Don’t forget to hone the cylinder. Use lots of assembly lube. Before first start take out spark plug and turn engine over a few seconds to get oil flowing around a bit. Start it and let it idle for 30ish seconds, then rev it keep the rmps varying but not too high. This is so that the rings seat properly. And you need the variations to mimic the kind of conditions it will be facing while you ride- constantly changing rpms. Once it seems to be pretty well warmed up to regular operating temperature or you feel it has run long enough, let it cool down completely. Repeat the rev/cooling process 2 more times. Once you are ready to ride take it easy for the first 10 miles or so. Check all nuts/bolts periodically through this process. Hope this helps. The kit may come with recommended instructions also.

• Like 2

just stay away from wiesco, i can vouch for the namura top end kits but the wiesco pistons are horrible in my opinion, they like to heat seize and expand alot faster then stock.