Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

afa913

Truth about cheap top end kits

I have an old 400ex that needs the top end rebuilt, Does anyone have any real life experience with the cheaper ebay or amazon top end kits. I know most will probably say to stay away from them.   I dont have a lot of money into this bike and it isnt worth putting a whole lot into is why i ask.   It doesnt get raced or road hard, my son and i just drive around the fields.  thanks for any help

I purchased a cheap piston, rings, and gasket kit from ebay last year for my Suzuki King Quad 300. I was very skeptical when purchasing but so far I am very impressed with the results- the brand I used was Namura. I have only put about 100 miles on it since the top end rebuild and have had zero problems what so ever, and I have to admit that I probably take it too far when riding my quad and beat it very hard sometimes. The reason I replaced the original piston and rings was because it was burning oil and smoking badly, the new top end parts fixed this problem and has run like a top ever since! One thing I would recommend is to check ratings on the product itself and if possible on the seller.

• Like 1

Well i ordered a kit, hopefully it will work out. Ill post a review next week after i get it installed

What about break-in procedures after a new kit. Any suggestions. Seems like there are lots of mixed feeling on this subject when i search the net

Heres what I did- Don’t forget to hone the cylinder. Use lots of assembly lube. Before first start take out spark plug and turn engine over a few seconds to get oil flowing around a bit. Start it and let it idle for 30ish seconds, then rev it keep the rmps varying but not too high. This is so that the rings seat properly. And you need the variations to mimic the kind of conditions it will be facing while you ride- constantly changing rpms. Once it seems to be pretty well warmed up to regular operating temperature or you feel it has run long enough, let it cool down completely. Repeat the rev/cooling process 2 more times. Once you are ready to ride take it easy for the first 10 miles or so. Check all nuts/bolts periodically through this process. Hope this helps. The kit may come with recommended instructions also.

• Like 2

just stay away from wiesco, i can vouch for the namura top end kits but the wiesco pistons are horrible in my opinion, they like to heat seize and expand alot faster then stock. 

Ive only used the cheap Chinese carbs on a honda recon and they work well for a couple days then begin to fall apart, leak gas, etc. and the quad begins to run like garbage. The body does not hold up well either, the threads on the throttle cable strip out and cause the slide to pull up so the engine runs on full rpm, has caused a number of accidents including rollovers on this particular 4 wheeler. We ended up using parts like the floats and jets to fix up the original carb body, but it’s probably more advisable to rebuild it.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:56 AM, shane mcguffie said:

just stay away from wiesco, i can vouch for the namura top end kits but the wiesco pistons are horrible in my opinion, they like to heat seize and expand alot faster then stock. 

They do swell. This is why a meticulous break in is needed with a Wiseco. Personnaly I like stock (cast) pistons.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Frank Angerano
      So here’s a question. I have seen a few members that have recently purchased a used bike.   Also a HUGE amount of so called new members who have purchased a used bike and have come here “just here for a manual”.
      Some have been disappointed with the bikes and or knew they were getting a broken bike with some mechanical  experience thinking hey I can fix it.   So here’s my take on buying a used bike. Anyone who has followed some of mine and other members posts about what to look for when buying a used bike here’s a few pointers on what to look for. 
      1. I always check the oil and look for moisture, metal shavings and color. 
      2. Feel the compression or take a compression tester with you. 
      3. Check for spark (if the bikes not running)
      4. Take a small jumper pack to verify that the starter cycle works and the bike cranks.
      5. Look for bent or cracked frame/welding that was done on the frame from maybe a wreck.
      5. Mismatch plastics by looking under neath.  
      7. Bolts on the engine/frame that look like they are stripped from someone taking the bike apart. 
      8. Any kind of scilicone or gasket adhesive that was used on a cover plate or engine seem where the engine was taken apart.  
      9. Patches on the exhaust pipes with sheet metal or jb weld patch material.  
      10. Wiring messes on the harness like bundles of tape where the harness was opened up and taped up  for an after market device or just plain butchered up.  
      11. Put the bike in gear (running or not) and roll the bike back and forth to see that the gears work and you feel resistance like the engine is trying to spin while pushing it forward as if you were push starting it   
      12. I keep a vin# decoder website on my phone as a favorite to double check the year of the bike .
      All though nothing is fool proof these tips will help you along while buying a used bike. Not only that but  it will help you negotiate a fair price for a bike that may have one of the above problems.  
      I have minimized this entire process down to about 15 mins. I buy all the time so I don’t expect you to do the same or have a compression tester etc but use some of these tips when buying and go into the purchase with confidence! 
      I would like to hear anyone else that has any input on buying a bike and what to  look for! 

• By pokolbinguy
      Hi All,
      Following on from the brief interlude in the "introducing myself" thread....

In a nutshell, I acquired a YFM250 Moto 4 (1991) for cheap recently with the previous owner citing "no spark, needs a new magneto coil and I don't have time to fix it"... anyway I am dubious that the magneto/generator is the issue and thinking more along the line of ignition coil as after a clean up of the magneto I was able to get a rather decent voltage reading off the magneto with pull start and resistence readings seem to check out that the magneto is all ok (all 3 x phases = 1.2 ohms and no run to ground)
      None the less I ordered a new Ignition coil and Magneto/generator coil and am waiting for them to arrive.

In the mean time I cleaned up the current Magneto, popped in a new battery and sparkplug, checked out all the wiring harness, all seemed good except I came across the "neutral switch" wire was broken.

After wiring up a new neutral switch wire, the neutral light now comes on  (small win) and the starter relay (attached to rectifier) now clicks. If I hit the starter switch on handle bar the starter motor spins and if I  pull the cord starter I get a spark on pull....YAY!! I'll try and attach a video below if possible.

So onto the starter motor. Starter solenoid seems to work A-ok, even if it looks crappy and starter motor spins as it should when I hit the start switch....but here is my issue.

When the starter motor runs it turns Cog #1 and Cog #2 (see photo below)....but the chain in the back of the starter which I assume is the timing chain, does not move and there is no apparent movement of the piston in the cylinder.

If I turn it by hand (per photo) or with the pull starter however the chain moves and the engine turns. However cog #2 rotates but not fluidly with the "Crank" (part I turn by hand) for the lack of a better word to use if that makes sense?

Is there a grub screw or similar on Cog #2 that fixes it to the center shaft to make it all turn when the starter motor is run? Could there be a part missing? Previous owner had the starter apart so could be possible?

The outer/front part seems to be on a key-way so not sure how to remove this easily to check how Cog #2 is attached.

What am I missing here?

spark_baby.mpg

• By StolenATV
      OUR TOY HAULER WAS STOLEN WITH ALL OF OUR TOYS IN IT. JUST HAD DIRT BIKES SERVICES.
      The post Stolen Black and White 2006 Honda Dirt Bike appeared first on Stolen 911.
      View the full article
    • By Rick Shropshire
      Happy New Year all! Remember not to operate any vehicles while under the influence, you could get busted or worse, you could get hurt or hurt someone else who's playing it safe and end up in jail. Have fun and be safe.
    • By afa913
      anyone knowwhati need to look at if my 400ex is smoking out of the breather on the valve cover.  I just put a new top end in and it runs great other than that. Too much oil?   Is the breather suppose to have a hose on it? Mine doesnt