Quantcast

1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) Runs Bad

JacobSlabach

ok so I checked the valves and rockers again yesterday.  I believe the exhaust rocker is the cause.  It make a clicking noise when I wiggle it up and down.  I also had my friend (hes worked on many more atvs than I have) over and he said that he thought the rocker had too much play side to side.  I believe that the rocker's clicking when I wiggle it is just magnified when the engine is running.  So I bought this bike to flip it...  I should have sold it long ago before all this happened, but life happens..  The question I have now is should I sell as is or get a new rocker and replace the worn one?  I hate to spend any more on this bike, but if I cant sell it, I'll be forced to anyway..

I'm not sure why the rocker issue would show up now when I wasnt hearing any sounds out of the bike before..  I put the rocker and axle back in just like it came out..  I didnt see any shavings in the head from wear...  I didnt switch the exhaust rocker with the intake rocker.

Could be but I think it would still be adjustable to the point where the noise would be less and you would know for sure that is the rocker.  An old trick my father taught me and it’s going to sound crazy is to take a broom stick while the engine is running and put your ear on one end of the stick and put the other end of the stick in diffent areas where you think the noise is.  You will hear the noise through the stick. You can localize the noise and narrow it down to one area.  Sounds crazy but the old timers did it. 

runs like before, except stronger.  Starts easy with choke, but I still gotta let it idle for a couple seconds to warm up before I hit the throttle or throw it in gear.  I have it up on CL being as I bought the bike to flip (didnt go to well lol).  As far as the clicking goes, my friend (small engines mechanic) said if it was his bike, he would just run it with the tick until something actually broke..  I was planning on selling it as is--  I realize I wont be able to bring as much as if it was spotless...🤔

• Like 1

Yea I hear you about flipping it, not my thing really though. I have a bad habit of holding on to them after I fix them. But I’ve let some go only with the next bike in the picture. But I’m a stickler for figuring out exactly what’s going on or it just racks my brain.   At least you are coming away with a good amount of new knowledge from digging into the bike. You did great with the project. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

this was an amazing thread to follow. congrats Jacob even if you did not sell it. great "internet" break-down and assist Frank 🤯
not sure I'll ever have the time to chase down and resolve these issues like ya'll did (and hope I do not). wish I was closer to buy the bikes ya'll work on/flip!!

but JS, come on, no pics? maybe you were messing around with Frank whole time and no real bike? you a mech professor? :D 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pokerl0w said:

this was an amazing thread to follow. congrats Jacob even if you did not sell it. great "internet" break-down and assist Frank 🤯
not sure I'll ever have the time to chase down and resolve these issues like ya'll did (and hope I do not). wish I was closer to buy the bikes ya'll work on/flip!!

but JS, come on, no pics? maybe you were messing around with Frank whole time and no real bike? you a mech professor? :D 

lol thanks and no, its a real bike-  still get the tick on the exhaust, I'm hoping to order a new valve rocker and axle soon.  And no I'm anything but a mech professor... I'm 15 and just getting started with engines- this was my first tear-down.  Huge shutout to Frank for the awesome help on this bike!!!👍👍 would not have attempted this without this forum.

• Thanks 1

but JS, come on, no pics? maybe you were messing around with Frank whole time and no real bike? you a mech professor? :D 

On 11/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, JacobSlabach said:

Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.  

Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon.

Picture1110182149952.jpg

Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol

heres the pic i put up at the beginning btw

Edited by JacobSlabach

On 11/13/2018 at 7:14 AM, Frank Angerano said:

Athena (P400250600300) Top End Gasket Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLS6ZXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_77R6BbVRTF3VG

Carb cleaner is great but sometime you have to run a small wire through the jets to be sure they are clear.   I also like to blow air through the jets to be sure they are clear.  

I like to use  a piece of wire from a bicycle brake cable, one strand of that.  There are also small brush kits for cleaning carburetors on amazon as well.   

47665982-9BA6-47F5-B6D6-A994D0A4C3D7.jpeg

I do small engines -  for jets and such pick up a set of guitar wires - cheap and smaller than tip cleaners

Tahj

• Like 2

ok so I went out this morning to start it and it wouldnt start (cranked but not firing).  have spark, kill switch is on, checked compression and its around 80psi.  the sp was wet and black.  I knew it was running rich cause it was blowing gray smoke when cold and with choke.  Not sure if this is connected to the valve rocker or not.

Picture0129191209951.jpg

or maybe its at 90psi

I would try another sp, but the one in it is new as of the rebuild and it was stuck in the rain and I didnt want to open up the sp because of moisture.

On 1/22/2019 at 3:00 AM, pokerl0w said:

@JacobSlabachcan you give us a video (lots of audio) with the exhaust knock?

and when I say us, I mean, it will help put pressure on the gurus :D I'm not satisfied seeing this thread end on a 98% happy ending

sorry- all I have is a flip phone so its too much trouble to get a vid of the bike.  I will update the forum when I get the rocker out 

6 minutes ago, pokerl0w said:

can you record any of your process? would be helpful, I can not find enough bayou teardowns/rebuild videos!

send me an iPhone x and ill do it in a heartbeat 🤣

3 minutes ago, pokerl0w said:

i've got an old something I could send you. You could put your work on YT, young as you are, and build up some subs, make some ATV coin!

explanation? 

lol

I'll msg you .. I have an old phone (~2008) or flip nino or something (if I can find). I've been cleaning up the garage to make room for ATV work heh.  If you are willing to use it and post some ATV vids, we'd have a deal. 

29 minutes ago, JacobSlabach said:

explanation

The YT = youtube (you prob guessed that one). And I was just saying how I see folks posting up videos making some money and with a little editing (YT's online edit usually good enough) you could build up a following/subscribers - then you get paid by YT and before you know it you are like "Off-Road Dan" except you could be "The Off-Road Kid" or "Slabach Chop Shop". You can't do it for the money, but if you like doing it - you have half of the job done (the ATV work/ride).

I know, it's all Instagram these days - whatever, that's fine too,  get those likes!

this seems like an amazing deal and I got one to test out: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGM33HG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  the deal is due to the WiFi it comes with so you can just use an app on phone and upload.

22 minutes ago, pokerl0w said:

I'll msg you .. I have an old phone (~2008) or flip nino or something (if I can find). I've been cleaning up the garage to make room for ATV work heh.  If you are willing to use it and post some ATV vids, we'd have a deal. 

The YT = youtube (you prob guessed that one). And I was just saying how I see folks posting up videos making some money and with a little editing (YT's online edit usually good enough) you could build up a following/subscribers - then you get paid by YT and before you know it you are like "Off-Road Dan" except you could be "The Off-Road Kid" or "Slabach Chop Shop". You can't do it for the money, but if you like doing it - you have half of the job done (the ATV work/ride).

I know, it's all Instagram these days - whatever, that's fine too,  get those likes!

this seems like an amazing deal and I got one to test out: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGM33HG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  the deal is due to the WiFi it comes with so you can just use an app on phone and upload.

definitely post a vid if you sent me a phone 😂 i was just kidding for the record lol

thing is, i was going to take it all apart today... guess I can work on my sportsman instead.

Edited by JacobSlabach

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys so I'm running into issue after issue on this thing...  yesterday i ran out and started working on the tick..  took the exhaust valve rocker out (and rocker axle)  and it looks fine.. put it all back together ( had the cam sprocket off and the chain tensioner because of course it sprung when I lowered the cam sprocket...).  When I went to check the timing, I couldn't find that one cycle where the rockers where tight on the valves...  every single time I got around to tdc an in time, the rockers where very lose (a lot of clearance).  I dont know what happened but the rockers are consistently too loose at every tdc.  the lock nuts over the valves are tight so that didnt move..  should i just crank hem down to spec and see what happens?  What I'm worried about it bending a valve because its pushed down too far.  Is there a way to check and make sure the valves are clearing the piston before startup?  I am losing money right and left on this bike so a mistake now is out of the question.