Quantcast

1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) Runs Bad

JacobSlabach

And it never got past 60 psi ? 

So that’s a bit of a problem.  It was prob ran hard.   I would think a new set of valve seals, piston and rings are required to bring that compression back to where it belongs. 

So try one more thing.  Spray some windex around the head gasket areas and around the top part of the engine and crank it. See if bubbles show up if so the head gasket may be leaking.

Some time people beat the crap out of the bikes and kill the piston and rings.  

I guess at this point you have to make a decision on how much you want to spend time wise and money wise.  Is the bike completely in tact and worth fixing etc.  

It’s a good experience to learn on but that’s up to you. 

Me I would do it because the bike will run forever after that. But it also has to be a compete bike not bastardized!  

If the bike is all together and all parts are there I would go for it if you have a few extra bucks to do it and some knowledge of motors.   

Good socket set metric with a swivel joint, Allen keys, open end wrench set, rubber mallet, razor blade and holder the kind that scrapes, feeler gauges for valves. 

I like a wire wheel that goes in a drill to help clean up parts. I use a soft bristle wire wheel.

A few small bins for all the parts and painters tape and sharpie to mark what’s what.  

Also a piece of tie wire to hold the timing chain from falling into the engine.

gasket adhesive, latex gloves and some fresh oil.   

Take a few pics before for reference when reassembling. 

You can.  I don’t don’t use one only bc I have done it so many times.  If your not fimillar then maybe so.   It’s just a matter of squeezing the rings as they slide into the cylinder head.  The bottom of the cylinder head is tapered for the rings to slide in. 

There is a tool that goes on the drill that hones the cylinder. Just to clean it up. Maybe take a look at that.  

Spray the exhaust bolts now with penetration oil so they have time to soak.  

Just be patient with the work. Don’t push to hard.  Things break and you can get frustrated and drink a lot of beer. 

Oh and music helps too! 

ok so this thing has me confused now:  I was out riding a couple days ago and I turned it off briefly to do something and when I tried to start it again, it would turn over fine, but wouldn't fire at all.  I assumed that it blew a sp since it had done it before-  new sp in it and no difference.  I just checked compression agian and it is reading 80psi since it stopped running..   :frown:  It was 60psi when it was running

I assume I just go ahead with the plan of replacing the top end seals, piston, rings, and cylinder?

Sorry for the brief post I was at work. The needle is located in the slide.  Pull the small V shaped clip that holds the needle inside the rubber/plastic slide The needle will come out when you turn it upside down.   

That needle should have a round e clip and small grooves as well.   It’s self explanatory at that point.  Just need to figure out where to set it and remember where it was before you pull the clip off.  

Let me know if you see that.  

As for the top end the symptoms you are having what sounds like the typical dead top end problems.  

This is caused by either beating the sh** out of the bike by over reving or pushing the bike to hard in the wrong gear. For instance going up a hill in a higher gearing.  Over time these things will hurt the engine. That’s my guess as to what’s going on. 

Have you ordered the parts ? 

I have ordered them and some have come, some haven't yet...  I have the oem carb in so I'll start rebuilding that soon.  Right now I'm waiting on another project in my shop to start on the bayou.  As to the compression testing, I have never heard anything about where the throttle is supposed to be.  The directions that came with the test kit didn't mention throttle at all.

16 hours ago, Maggie Hall said:

I bet your having a Vacuum line issue too 

Explanation??

Other then the additional pain when you smash your knuckles with wrenches 🤬I would say no!  Maybe when it comes to any silicones or gasket adhesives.... they recommend temps above 50 deg to use but I would think you are good to go! 

Maybe a small heater, they have plug in type and the small desiel salamander type. 

Sh** maybe a small pellet stove would be cool !