Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

JacobSlabach

1997 Kawasaki Bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) Runs Bad

hey you too man!  And thanks to the forum and especially you for helping me through this rebuild!!👍👍  It actually turned out better than I expected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this was an amazing thread to follow. congrats Jacob even if you did not sell it. great "internet" break-down and assist Frank 🤯
not sure I'll ever have the time to chase down and resolve these issues like ya'll did (and hope I do not). wish I was closer to buy the bikes ya'll work on/flip!!

but JS, come on, no pics? maybe you were messing around with Frank whole time and no real bike? you a mech professor? :D 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, pokerl0w said:

this was an amazing thread to follow. congrats Jacob even if you did not sell it. great "internet" break-down and assist Frank 🤯
not sure I'll ever have the time to chase down and resolve these issues like ya'll did (and hope I do not). wish I was closer to buy the bikes ya'll work on/flip!!

but JS, come on, no pics? maybe you were messing around with Frank whole time and no real bike? you a mech professor? :D 

lol thanks and no, its a real bike-  still get the tick on the exhaust, I'm hoping to order a new valve rocker and axle soon.  And no I'm anything but a mech professor... I'm 15 and just getting started with engines- this was my first tear-down.  Huge shutout to Frank for the awesome help on this bike!!!👍👍 would not have attempted this without this forum.

• Thanks 1

lol also dont want to leave out the other folks that helped out on this thread too..  😎👍  Thanks guys!

• Like 1

but JS, come on, no pics? maybe you were messing around with Frank whole time and no real bike? you a mech professor? :D 

On 11/12/2018 at 3:36 PM, JacobSlabach said:

Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.  

Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon.

Picture1110182149952.jpg

Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol

heres the pic i put up at the beginning btw

Edited by JacobSlabach

On 11/13/2018 at 7:14 AM, Frank Angerano said:

Athena (P400250600300) Top End Gasket Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PLS6ZXW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_77R6BbVRTF3VG

Carb cleaner is great but sometime you have to run a small wire through the jets to be sure they are clear.   I also like to blow air through the jets to be sure they are clear.  

I like to use  a piece of wire from a bicycle brake cable, one strand of that.  There are also small brush kits for cleaning carburetors on amazon as well.   

47665982-9BA6-47F5-B6D6-A994D0A4C3D7.jpeg

I do small engines -  for jets and such pick up a set of guitar wires - cheap and smaller than tip cleaners

Tahj

• Like 2

@JacobSlabachcan you give us a video (lots of audio) with the exhaust knock?

and when I say us, I mean, it will help put pressure on the gurus :D I'm not satisfied seeing this thread end on a 98% happy ending

• Like 1

ok so I went out this morning to start it and it wouldnt start (cranked but not firing).  have spark, kill switch is on, checked compression and its around 80psi.  the sp was wet and black.  I knew it was running rich cause it was blowing gray smoke when cold and with choke.  Not sure if this is connected to the valve rocker or not.

Picture0129191209951.jpg

or maybe its at 90psi

I would try another sp, but the one in it is new as of the rebuild and it was stuck in the rain and I didnt want to open up the sp because of moisture.

Spray the plug down good with carb cleaner and wire  brush it good double check the gap and check the spark agin on it. See how it looks.   If spark is there it will fire.  The wet plug is prob from the carb in need of adjustment. Try maybe half choke on the start up.  

tired and nothing.  had another sp, put that one in and it fired right up (if you call how it starts 'firing right' up lol)  I took the cam cover off and am going to take the rocker out and see if i can get that stupid tick taken care of.  

can you record any of your process? would be helpful, I can not find enough bayou teardowns/rebuild videos!

On 1/22/2019 at 3:00 AM, pokerl0w said:

@JacobSlabachcan you give us a video (lots of audio) with the exhaust knock?

and when I say us, I mean, it will help put pressure on the gurus :D I'm not satisfied seeing this thread end on a 98% happy ending

sorry- all I have is a flip phone so its too much trouble to get a vid of the bike.  I will update the forum when I get the rocker out 

i've got an old something I could send you. You could put your work on YT, young as you are, and build up some subs, make some ATV coin!

6 minutes ago, pokerl0w said:

can you record any of your process? would be helpful, I can not find enough bayou teardowns/rebuild videos!

send me an iPhone x and ill do it in a heartbeat 🤣

3 minutes ago, pokerl0w said:

i've got an old something I could send you. You could put your work on YT, young as you are, and build up some subs, make some ATV coin!

explanation? 

lol

I'll msg you .. I have an old phone (~2008) or flip nino or something (if I can find). I've been cleaning up the garage to make room for ATV work heh.  If you are willing to use it and post some ATV vids, we'd have a deal. 

29 minutes ago, JacobSlabach said:

explanation

The YT = youtube (you prob guessed that one). And I was just saying how I see folks posting up videos making some money and with a little editing (YT's online edit usually good enough) you could build up a following/subscribers - then you get paid by YT and before you know it you are like "Off-Road Dan" except you could be "The Off-Road Kid" or "Slabach Chop Shop". You can't do it for the money, but if you like doing it - you have half of the job done (the ATV work/ride).

I know, it's all Instagram these days - whatever, that's fine too,  get those likes!

this seems like an amazing deal and I got one to test out: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGM33HG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  the deal is due to the WiFi it comes with so you can just use an app on phone and upload.

Spray the plug down good with carb cleaner and wire  brush it good double check the gap and check the spark agin on it. See how it looks.   If spark is there it will fire.  The wet plug is prob from the carb in need of adjustment. Try maybe half choke on the start up.  

22 minutes ago, pokerl0w said:

I'll msg you .. I have an old phone (~2008) or flip nino or something (if I can find). I've been cleaning up the garage to make room for ATV work heh.  If you are willing to use it and post some ATV vids, we'd have a deal. 

The YT = youtube (you prob guessed that one). And I was just saying how I see folks posting up videos making some money and with a little editing (YT's online edit usually good enough) you could build up a following/subscribers - then you get paid by YT and before you know it you are like "Off-Road Dan" except you could be "The Off-Road Kid" or "Slabach Chop Shop". You can't do it for the money, but if you like doing it - you have half of the job done (the ATV work/ride).

I know, it's all Instagram these days - whatever, that's fine too,  get those likes!

this seems like an amazing deal and I got one to test out: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGM33HG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  the deal is due to the WiFi it comes with so you can just use an app on phone and upload.

definitely post a vid if you sent me a phone 😂 i was just kidding for the record lol

thing is, i was going to take it all apart today... guess I can work on my sportsman instead.

Edited by JacobSlabach

ok guys so I'm running into issue after issue on this thing...  yesterday i ran out and started working on the tick..  took the exhaust valve rocker out (and rocker axle)  and it looks fine.. put it all back together ( had the cam sprocket off and the chain tensioner because of course it sprung when I lowered the cam sprocket...).  When I went to check the timing, I couldn't find that one cycle where the rockers where tight on the valves...  every single time I got around to tdc an in time, the rockers where very lose (a lot of clearance).  I dont know what happened but the rockers are consistently too loose at every tdc.  the lock nuts over the valves are tight so that didnt move..  should i just crank hem down to spec and see what happens?  What I'm worried about it bending a valve because its pushed down too far.  Is there a way to check and make sure the valves are clearing the piston before startup?  I am losing money right and left on this bike so a mistake now is out of the question.

Could be that your rockers are worn down. They might be okay in one spot and way off in another.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I dont think so.  I think it was just messed up somehow when I rebuilt it and I put way too much clearance in the rockers...  I'm surprised they arnt damaged..  I rode the bike while it was ticking for a while..

Any point where there is no play is what I should have said.  Any point that the cam lobes meet the rocker arms and it seems like you can get an adjustment ?