Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

'97 Bayou 300 4x4 KLF-300C, but not really brand or model specific.  I'm having trouble re-installing the Big Coil Spring in the recoil (pull rope) starter. I'm hoping someone knows an easy tip or trick.

Thanks for all the help this forum has given me already! 

Success! Gloves, safety glasses & patience are a must!

Small, straight jaw vice grips solved my problem. I clamped hook at the start and half way around, clamped it again. Cumbersome, but the spring stayed in position as I coiled it around. Each wrap, holding the spring down tight, remove, adjust & re-clamp the vice grips. After a few wraps, the 2nd vice grip was not needed, which made it easier. Eventually, the remaining coil is small enough that it doesn't fight back & can be put into place. Grease it all & reassembly from there is straightforward & easy. 

Hopefully, this will help someone else. 

Have you checked on YouTube? I seen a few videos on that item when I just looked.  Ashe a long shot but there are a few with other bikes. Maybe that might get you going in the right direction. 

Thanks, I appreciate your comment. I never think about searching YouTube but my son regularly reminds me "Dad, YouTube is your friend".  LOL 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By pokerl0w
      Bought this 2 weeks ago.. Starts up fine, seems to run fine. But I am clueless. I tried to pull something small in high gear mode, unknowingly <- n00b
      There' s a small oil leak from the back/bottom end. maybe 1-2 tablespoons/day after riding it some, otherwise maybe 1tsp/day. I was trying to start it at least every other day (not garaged, gets below freezing)

The main issue (aside from full rebuild *see below) is I am seeing smoke from the top of the engine and there is that oil leak in the back. I am hearing something as well, not quite sure what, hope someone else with trained ears can tell me it's just the sweet-uniq'saki
      If I can get through the winter plowing around, then I can start on my rebuild. Looking to use OEM where possible, aftermarket when makes most sense - I do not care about speed, I like torque .. hauling and crawling.

I am also sharing pictures of the oil. And yes, there is some metal in that oil.. which is just magic fairy dust from tinker fairies say my girls, and I can keep beating without issue 😬
      Metaloil:

(image taken with flash:)

Here's the smoke:
      20190113_105012
      Here's engine (left) and back/muffler:
      20190113_104854.mp4

TLDR;
      sad disclaimer: bought this beast from a local seller. this is my first and after having it 2-weeks, riding maybe 1 hour... I got took. I'll tell ya'll how much I paid after we chat about'er for a bit so I do not get crushed.  I am not a mech but I have wrenched many'o'things from sparks, water pumps, swapping clutches .. but not bikes or small engines all v6+ just saying I know something, but lots more of nothing!  I do like the bayou series and (think?) need 4x4 for the snow and trials here in the Sierras. I want to swap the frame in the spring, as this one is not only bent but has some suspect welding

• By Gabriel
      My name is Gabriel. I am from Argentina. I have some bikes 1979 DT 100, 1974 CZ 250 Enduro & 1990 Bayou 220. 
      I am sorry my english is not good.
      Thanks.
    • By JacobSlabach
      Hey I have a 97 bayou 300 2x4 (klf300b) that i bought for 1000 last June and sunk another 1000 into it already.  When i went to look at it, the seller had warmed it up before hand (he was riding it when I got there).  it ran good so i bought it and took it home that evening... next morning it wouldn't hardly start.  I discovered the carb was clogged, there was chunks of rust in the fuel valve, the choke lever was missing and other things.  I have since cleaned the carb and replaced the fuel valve and gas lines and cleaned out the gas tank and cap.  
      Enough background on it, the problem is this:  It floods if i push it past half throttle in 4th and 5th gear even going downhill and shifting correctly.  It also has to idle and warm up when you first start it which is really annoying now that its cold...  It also smokes blue smoke for about 15 seconds when started cold-  does not smoke at all once warm but the exhaust still smells like burnt metal.  A friend told me that it didn't have enough compression.  I also found out that the valves are a common cause for low compression on Kawasakis..  I have never adjusted valves before-  the most I've ever got into a engine was a head gasket on a riding mower so I'm new to this.  My goal is to get this bike running and starting cold like a top-  should i tear down and rebuild the top end?  What should i try first?  I tore the carb apart and rebuilt it and fiddled with the air screw and nothing changed.  I also ordered a compression test kit that should be coming in soon.

Ive also considered just selling it for like $500 and taking the hit-  Id rather not sink too much more into this machine..  lol
    • By Brantley40
      I bought a '02 Lakota Sport and had a few pieces missing, looks like someone ripped it apart, lost interest and all the parts removed got trashed. Anyhow, not really sure where to start, but there does seem to be more Bayou parts available.
      Does anyone have a breakdown of parts (or years) of the bayou that are the same as the Lakota?

Thanks!

• By stymy68
      I have an unknown year Timberwolf. I have had to replace/repair some back yard wiring issues. With the wiring fixed, I compared to my other Timberwolf quads, I have found a problem. Starter is always running. I can only get it to stop by removing the positive lead from the battery.
    • By 220Bayou
      Hi everyone,  I'm about to get my first ATV, 02 bayou 220.
      Neighbor said I could have it if I fix it, Carburetor problems, and needs a new ignition switch. last ran 2 years ago, said he changed the oil in it twice a year and never ride it hard.
      Hope I got me a good ride.