Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Zilla28

Quadzilla XLC 500 Engine Issues

5 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

By the way that plug should be a toasty brown.  Was that a new plug ?  Or newly installed ? 

is this what you mean by "toasty" - a dark/bold coffee bean color? (not the optimal one)

spark-plug-lean-rich-optimal.jpg

The optimal color has that brown toasty looking tip on it. See that light brown? That’s what I’m talking about.  

That was a new plug.

I then set the jet so it was running richer and put a new slightly cooler plug in which came out very brown.

20190121_134655.thumb.jpg.b938587183f1075d7db0ebfdc5793ed4.jpg20190123_140003.thumb.jpg.ff1b9a920199448ce96e56664e3e19a7.jpg

Now I have leaned the jet off a bit, took the carb off and tried to give it a wash with petrol and blow it out but couldn't really get to much. I took it for a ride and the Temp light flashed once and the engine pinging is still there. Not quite as bad but still noticeable 😕 

20190123_153414.thumb.jpg.f914fcbcf650149c34c425dff87635a4.jpg

Wow that’s a funky color plug.   So not to confuse the two, the temp light and the pinging are two separate issues and one should have nothing to do with the other.   

Having said that it seems like your slowly making improvements and getting it dialed in.  The only thing I can add at this point is to keep making small changes in the carb and get it as close as possible and keep track of the changes so you can go back should any new changes make things worse.  

As for the temp light thing it’s just a matter of coolant running through the system and creating dead/hot spots where the sensor is would be my guess. Especially since you said you took it out for a few 10 mile rides without over heating.   

I hope your keeping some tools and extra fluids like coolant out on these long rides. 

Yeah I usually always ride with a backpack with all the tools I need for removing screws and adjusting the chain 🙂

I have just been reading about the carb settings and I may have found the issue. I remember when I removed the pilot jet I wound it all the way back in as (I think) it was already like that. I will have to remove the carb again and set it to 2.5 turns out which is factory setting. Hopefully this will cure the pinging, although it use to run fine when I bought it and before I took it out 🤔

Only one way to find out.

I don’t think that’s correct. The pilot jet is stationary and should be tight.   The air/fuel screw should be 2-1/2 turns out from a snug tight position and adjusted slightly in either direction to make it perfect while the bike is running. But should only be adjusted after the air filter and air box cover is back on the bike.  Just double check before you go tearing into it.  Also are you positive the carb is 100% cleaned properly? Only reason I’m asking is I’ve cleaned carbs over and over and somehow someway a pice of junk got back in.  Either form the tank or in the line someplace.  I also like fuel filters.   

Edited by Frank Angerano

Oh yeah I remember on a GoKart I use to have the pilot jet was all the way in tight. I just don't see the air/fuel screw on the damn carb. I will have to take another look.

I popped the top and bowl off and flushed it out with petrol and made sure all the jets were clean but didn't want to remove the floats or anything else as I didn't want to risk damaging anything.

Ok well I would watch a few videos on YouTube if I were you on cleaning or rebuilding an atv carburetor and in a half hour you will be a pro at taking them apart.  

Secondly if you haven’t seen the fuel/air screw it would be safe to say you’ve never touched it then ? If that’s true then it may be a simple adjustment to clear up the ping. 

Yes I have had it off and took the bowl off. I just don't see a brass adjustment screw that I can adjust while the engine is running. From what I have seen there should be a brass screw either on the side or on the bottom near the side that faces the engine but there is no screw just a brass plug thing with a pin hole.

I am not use to these carbs as I am only use to Walbro carbs on 2 strokes.

20190124_144001.thumb.jpg.d2dc3470259904ae574261eb94719a78.jpg20190124_132331.thumb.jpg.0c306f35d943c99e0d801afef64dee60.jpg20190123_151409.thumb.jpg.22d21c1da25b0ff292d52151f4aad1ab.jpg

OK, I just found this.

rt.thumb.jpg.27bcc257f80acf3eee9dd2eab48e62c7.jpg

Any idea how I remove the brass plug from mine?  I did try earlier today with some really strong wire but no luck.

Something does not look right on that carburetor.  There should be a jet inside that middle of the carb the main jet . Was it taken out? Also is that the factory carb the oem ? It looks like it’s a Mikuni 

Ok that looks better. I didn’t see the last pic. See the  main jet in the middle.  

The one you have the arrow pointed at is your air fuel mixture screw.   You have to get the right screw driver to fit in and uncrew it.   Was it tightened down all the way ?

if the brass plug is in there yiu have to get a small pick and pull it out.

Is that your carburetor or an image of another?

Edited by Frank Angerano

The image with the arrow is one I found on Google. The large photos are my carb and there are 3 jets inside the bowl, I had removed the one to clean it and took the photo to get the number of the other jet, so all is normal internally.

I will have to strip the bike..........yet again 🙄 to get the carb off and try remove the brass plug. Bloody nightmare lol

Lol I know brother.  Be patient.   You will get it squared away.  Get that plug out and be easy.   

I drilled out the brass plug and the jet was set to 105 minutes, not 150 minutes (2.5 turns out which is factory setting).

I adjusted it to 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3 turns from closed position but still pinging slightly 😞 I am close to throwing the towel in now and getting rid of it.

I hear you brother as it can be frustrating.  Did any of the adjustments change how the bike ran ? Reason I’m asking is it should change the engine performance.  If the bike is running good at any one setting I would leave it there and move on to the next possable problem which leads me to my next question.    Are you 100% sure it’s a pinging your hearing and not something else? 

To be honest ive not felt any real difference in performance. The engine is coated with yellow clay looking crap from the previous owner and the floats in the bowl did have some yellow on so the only last thing I can think of is a bloody good strip down of the carb and a proper clean out.

I agree. It can’t hurt. You should see a difference in the engine with any little adjustment.   So tear it down, clean the asshole out of it.  Set the fuel/air screw at 2-1/2 turns and throw it back in.