Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Zilla28

Quadzilla XLC 500 Engine Issues

While riding my Quadzilla XLC 500 I was cruising along about 60 mph then opened it up, but once I hit 70-75 mph it died on me so I rolled to a stop and it wouldn't start for about 20-30 seconds. I then noticed the Temp light occasionally flashes on but its so quick you wouldn't notice in the day so not sure how long its been happening. The engine has started pinging when I accelerate which can be caused by many things so I drained the fuel and replaced with hi octane, fitted a new spark plug, adjusted the little washer on the high jet in the carb twice to make it run more lean which made no difference.  I tested the thermostat which opens at the correct temperature, I removed the radiator cap and started the engine and no bubbles were showing and the oil is on maximum and very clean as I have not long serviced it.

The last time I took it out I went 14 miles and the coolant in the bottle has dropped about 1/2".

I am now leaning towards a head gasket and have purchased a full gasket kit but was wondering if there's anything else it could be before taking the engine apart.

Have you checked to see that the cooling fan is coming on ? And if so is the radiator clean ? Also look up and see if the engine shuts down on the hot side. When it’s at that point is it killing he engine. And btw dam that’s fast ! Slow down a bit brother! 

1 hour ago, Frank Angerano said:

Have you checked to see that the cooling fan is coming on ? And if so is the radiator clean ? Also look up and see if the engine shuts down on the hot side. When it’s at that point is it killing he engine. And btw dam that’s fast ! Slow down a bit brother! 

Yes the fan does come on but not every time and I have not had a close inspection of the radiator but it should be clean as I pressure washed it and have only used it on the road. I have no temperature gauge on my display so I can't see how hot its running.

Ok great.  What about the water pump it could be possible that there is no circulation? You can buy an infrared thermometer and shoot the head to see temperature under the same circumstances. 

There can only be a few things going on here 

1. Thermostat 

2. Water pump

3. Cooling fan/temperature sensor that brings fan on.

If you have a bad head gasket the oil will be discolored (greyish) in the crank case and a lot of white smoke.  

But I don't know what its suppose to run at and what is classed as too hot. The thermostat is fine as I tested it and it opened at 71 degrees which is stamped on it. If the coolant on the tank has dropped by 1/2" after 14 miles of riding it must be going somewhere which is leading me to think the head gasket but im hoping its not.

It’s not supposed to really go over 160 I would think on a good day. Have you checked the oil for color ? And also is there a leak you are not seeing ? And the water pump... you should see that coolant flowing with the cap off the radiator after it’s good and hot. If not I’m thinking the water pump. And the seal on the water pump as well and that’s why your loosing coolant. 

I've not checked the oil for colour, only looked at it on the dip stick. I will try and find time to check the water pump tomorrow as I do have a new water pump seal in my gasket set.

I just remembered, last time I warmed the engine up the pipe from the water pump to the bottom of the radiator was warm and I could hold it but the pipe from the top of the radiator to the engine was too hot to hold.

Yea brother I think it’s a pump issue. Never know but that’s where my guess is. The good thing about these problems are the limited things it can be when it comes to a water cooled system so get after it and narrow it down so we can get this figured out and get back to riding!!!  Let us know how you make out.  

• Like 1

OK today I removed the water pump cover, dained the engine of coolant and turned the engine over and the impeller is spinning ok. The gasket on the cover was knackered but I didn't want to replace just that gasket as I had not seen any leak from the cover which makes me think it must be leaking internally. I have managed to remove some of the internals but cant get any further.

What I expected to take a few hours looks like its going to take much longer.

Do I need to split the crank case to remove the rest?

20181203_142858.jpg

20181203_152601.jpg

Crank.png

Edited by Zilla28

Was the impeller spinning or just the shaft?  I’ve seen the same thing and when the bike was being cranked the owner was able to hold the impeller and the shaft spun not the impeller  so make sure that the shaft and impeller are not slipping   

That back end of that shaft looks chewed up. What goong on in there ?

Heve yiu checked the oil ? Any coolant in there ? 

That seal on the back of that impeller looks shot and could be leaking fluid into the crank case.   

As far as I am aware the impeller was spinning with the shaft as it was locked on to the shaft, not overly tight but tight enough.

I saw some videos online of people removing the pump seal and the only way they could remove it was to prise it out with a screw driver so that's what I done, hence the reason it looks a mess.

The oil does look a little watery and I done a test with dropping the oil in a hot saucepan to see if it bubbled which it did, so this confirms there is antifreeze in the oil 😞 

20181203_173143.jpg

20181203_174230.jpg