Quantcast

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Reversed Terminals On Battery

JacobSlabach

update:  I got everything back together (had to replace the carb) and this morning went out and turned the key and bam, on pops the display and the needle on the speedometer moved up to 0mph.  Dunno what changed between today and yesterday, but the display pops on every time I turn the key. now I have just two problems.

1. It cranks but refuses to fire.  I checked that the gas was on, checked spark, changed the sp, let it air out, tried again and still nothing.  It was acting like it either wasnt getting fuel, or flooding out.  I know it runs cause I got it started in AL right before I switched the battery terminals.  (The float was busted in the carb causing it to leak so thats why I got a new one.)
  2. The back shocks had been replaced with aftermarket longer shocks lifting the back end but nothing was done to the front.  I bought a front end lift kit for it and put it on.  I looks much better now, but the front right axle feels like its binding up when I roll the bike.  The front left side bounces up and down on the shock but the right side is rigged.  I have never worked with axles before so any help on getting the axle in again would be great!

just a 2in lift in the front btw

One thing you have to be aware of when lifting anything  with axels and universal joints is when the angle changes  on the universal joint it puts Pressure on the joint and or could cause it to rub/grind.   For instance if you put a lift kit in your truck you would have to slightly rotate your axle to accommodate the body being raised up. The angle/degree changes with the lift.   So it’s possible that’s causing the problem with noise or resistance.  

As far as the engine not firing you said you have spark and fuel ? How’s compression? Any blockages in the intake manifold? 

I might not be getting any fuel in through the carb because when I took out the sp, it was completely dry.  No blockage in the manifold.  As far as the axle goes, I pretty sure it just popped out (but is still in the boot) because I accidentally dropped the strut on that side when I disconnected the shock.

I took the gas line off the carb and it was almost dry..  I cycled the engine a couple times and nothing changed.  I replaced the fuel filter and still no gas comes out the line (had the fuel valve on the whole time)  I think somethings up with the fuel pump, but the bike started before I screwed up the electrical.

oh i didnt think about that..  I got an old minibike gas tank I could use.  Another thing- its stuck in high.  It seems like the shifter is jammed, so I was hoping that if I got the tranny turning, it would loosen up and shift out of high..  Its gonna be fun trying to feed gas in the engine with a high idle in high with a jammed front axle  :shocked:🤔👍

update:  I got the bike running today using another gas tank and gravity feeding it.  It was still stuck in high so and the idle was screwed up to half throttle so it was a hectic ride...  anyway, when I was riding it, I looked down and the pump was shooting gas out the hose  (even with the valve off).  hooked the gas line back up to the carb and ditched the makeshift supply.  My mistake was to forget to turn the valve back on and I ran it dry so now I'm back where I started.  Is there some way to 'prime' the pump so I can get gas to the carb to start the bike?  Once the bike is running, the gas is just pumping away, but nothing comes out while I have the starter pegged.  Also, the bike seems to be almost impossible to roll even in neutral.  Is this normal for these bikes or might there be a brake or axle locked up?  It seemed to take about half throttle to get the bike to move in high.  

You might have a vent line for the fuel  pump  blocked. It  should  prime by  gravity feed. The bike should roll  reasonably easy when in neutral and  2wd; a little  harder if in 4wd. the  centrifugal  clutch automatic transmissions take a little throttle to  engage,  and a little  more if the belt is worn but but it  shouln't take  a lot .  It does sound  like you have something dragging to  make it  so  hard to  roll. I'd  look  for dragging brakes before digging into  anything else.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, davefrombc said:

You might have a vent line for the fuel  pump  blocked. It  should  prime by  gravity feed. The bike should roll  reasonably easy when in neutral and  2wd; a little  harder if in 4wd. the  centrifugal  clutch automatic transmissions take a little throttle to  engage,  and a little  more if the belt is worn but but it  shouln't take  a lot .  It does sound  like you have something dragging to  make it  so  hard to  roll. I'd  look  for dragging brakes before digging into  anything else.

Wheres the fuel pump vent?  I see three lines attached to the pump- one going to the gas valve, one going to the carb bowl and one attached to the top end of the carb.  As for the rolling, it was like that before the axle popped out, but I will still throw it on a jack and see how free the front wheels are.  Does anyone know if these polarises have diff in the front?  should both wheels be spinning when I turn one side?

• 4 weeks later...

update:  axle is skooked, got it started, but it is getting hung up on the torn up splines.  have to order a new one 😡.  The pod came on for a while and now its not lighting....again😕.  I did get it running on the make shift gas tank, and the fuel pump works...but i dont think the carb is adjusted right, anyone know where the adjustments are supposed to be?  I really cant put too much more into this bike or I'll be loosing money.

Can't help  on the axle info  but  I  believe the  line going to the top  of the carb is the impulse  line ( I misnamed it   "vent" )  that  makes the fuel  pump  work.  As you found out the  motor will  run  on gravity feed alone.  More than  on  owner  has bypassed the fuel  pump  and  just  run the fuel  line directly  from the fuel  valve to the  carb and  blocked the  vacuum impulse line from  carb to  fuel pump. There is a service manual  for your quad available in the downloads section that should help  you working on  the front axles/ differential.

• Thanks 1