Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

JacobSlabach

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Reversed Terminals On Battery

yea I tried putting a cinderblock under the jack and it just tips over--  guess its time to suck up the cost and get a real jack..  You got any suggestions on which kind to get?

update:  I got the bike running today using another gas tank and gravity feeding it.  It was still stuck in high so and the idle was screwed up to half throttle so it was a hectic ride...  anyway, when I was riding it, I looked down and the pump was shooting gas out the hose  (even with the valve off).  hooked the gas line back up to the carb and ditched the makeshift supply.  My mistake was to forget to turn the valve back on and I ran it dry so now I'm back where I started.  Is there some way to 'prime' the pump so I can get gas to the carb to start the bike?  Once the bike is running, the gas is just pumping away, but nothing comes out while I have the starter pegged.  Also, the bike seems to be almost impossible to roll even in neutral.  Is this normal for these bikes or might there be a brake or axle locked up?  It seemed to take about half throttle to get the bike to move in high.  

You might have a vent line for the fuel  pump  blocked. It  should  prime by  gravity feed. The bike should roll  reasonably easy when in neutral and  2wd; a little  harder if in 4wd. the  centrifugal  clutch automatic transmissions take a little throttle to  engage,  and a little  more if the belt is worn but but it  shouln't take  a lot .  It does sound  like you have something dragging to  make it  so  hard to  roll. I'd  look  for dragging brakes before digging into  anything else.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, davefrombc said:

You might have a vent line for the fuel  pump  blocked. It  should  prime by  gravity feed. The bike should roll  reasonably easy when in neutral and  2wd; a little  harder if in 4wd. the  centrifugal  clutch automatic transmissions take a little throttle to  engage,  and a little  more if the belt is worn but but it  shouln't take  a lot .  It does sound  like you have something dragging to  make it  so  hard to  roll. I'd  look  for dragging brakes before digging into  anything else.

Wheres the fuel pump vent?  I see three lines attached to the pump- one going to the gas valve, one going to the carb bowl and one attached to the top end of the carb.  As for the rolling, it was like that before the axle popped out, but I will still throw it on a jack and see how free the front wheels are.  Does anyone know if these polarises have diff in the front?  should both wheels be spinning when I turn one side?

update:  axle is skooked, got it started, but it is getting hung up on the torn up splines.  have to order a new one 😡.  The pod came on for a while and now its not lighting....again😕.  I did get it running on the make shift gas tank, and the fuel pump works...but i dont think the carb is adjusted right, anyone know where the adjustments are supposed to be?  I really cant put too much more into this bike or I'll be loosing money.

hey, anyone know how to get these front axles out of the front diffs on 04 polaris sportsmans?

Can't help  on the axle info  but  I  believe the  line going to the top  of the carb is the impulse  line ( I misnamed it   "vent" )  that  makes the fuel  pump  work.  As you found out the  motor will  run  on gravity feed alone.  More than  on  owner  has bypassed the fuel  pump  and  just  run the fuel  line directly  from the fuel  valve to the  carb and  blocked the  vacuum impulse line from  carb to  fuel pump. There is a service manual  for your quad available in the downloads section that should help  you working on  the front axles/ differential.

20 minutes ago, davefrombc said:

Can't help  on the axle info  but  I  believe the  line going to the top  of the carb is the impulse  line ( I misnamed it   "vent" )  that  makes the fuel  pump  work.  As you found out the  motor will  run  on gravity feed alone.  More than  on  owner  has bypassed the fuel  pump  and  just  run the fuel  line directly  from the fuel  valve to the  carb and  blocked the  vacuum impulse line from  carb to  fuel pump. There is a service manual  for your quad available in the downloads section that should help  you working on  the front axles/ differential.

ok, the thing is, I cant find my model's manual...?

The manuals are pretty much generic for all  models in the years  covered.   Motor sizes and  cosmetics  change , but mechanically  and chassis  are near  identical.

This one likely  has what you need in it

• Like 1

I have a hunch that water is in the pod (the lens is cracked) and that is causing shorts randomly.  I got the wiring harness back together and turned the key and different parts of the display came on here and others there...  I'm thinking if I can somehow put a hole in the lower end of the pod, the water will drain and maybe that will help.

I did pull the old axle off the sportsman.  How?  I used a mall and some cable from a zip line brace:  Looped the cable in the knuckle of the axle and the other end just above the mall head.  Braced the atv with a 2x4 so it wouldnt come off the jack stands and gave a couple gentle swings... out it came.  I did squirt some WD-40 in there first.  Just got the new axle shipped in in today yesterday while I was out of town.