Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

JacobSlabach

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Reversed Terminals On Battery

yea I tried putting a cinderblock under the jack and it just tips over--  guess its time to suck up the cost and get a real jack..  You got any suggestions on which kind to get?

update:  I got the bike running today using another gas tank and gravity feeding it.  It was still stuck in high so and the idle was screwed up to half throttle so it was a hectic ride...  anyway, when I was riding it, I looked down and the pump was shooting gas out the hose  (even with the valve off).  hooked the gas line back up to the carb and ditched the makeshift supply.  My mistake was to forget to turn the valve back on and I ran it dry so now I'm back where I started.  Is there some way to 'prime' the pump so I can get gas to the carb to start the bike?  Once the bike is running, the gas is just pumping away, but nothing comes out while I have the starter pegged.  Also, the bike seems to be almost impossible to roll even in neutral.  Is this normal for these bikes or might there be a brake or axle locked up?  It seemed to take about half throttle to get the bike to move in high.  

You might have a vent line for the fuel  pump  blocked. It  should  prime by  gravity feed. The bike should roll  reasonably easy when in neutral and  2wd; a little  harder if in 4wd. the  centrifugal  clutch automatic transmissions take a little throttle to  engage,  and a little  more if the belt is worn but but it  shouln't take  a lot .  It does sound  like you have something dragging to  make it  so  hard to  roll. I'd  look  for dragging brakes before digging into  anything else.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, davefrombc said:

You might have a vent line for the fuel  pump  blocked. It  should  prime by  gravity feed. The bike should roll  reasonably easy when in neutral and  2wd; a little  harder if in 4wd. the  centrifugal  clutch automatic transmissions take a little throttle to  engage,  and a little  more if the belt is worn but but it  shouln't take  a lot .  It does sound  like you have something dragging to  make it  so  hard to  roll. I'd  look  for dragging brakes before digging into  anything else.

Wheres the fuel pump vent?  I see three lines attached to the pump- one going to the gas valve, one going to the carb bowl and one attached to the top end of the carb.  As for the rolling, it was like that before the axle popped out, but I will still throw it on a jack and see how free the front wheels are.  Does anyone know if these polarises have diff in the front?  should both wheels be spinning when I turn one side?