Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

stymy68

Timberwolf Starter always running

I have an unknown year Timberwolf. I have had to replace/repair some back yard wiring issues. With the wiring fixed, I compared to my other Timberwolf quads, I have found a problem. Starter is always running. I can only get it to stop by removing the positive lead from the battery.

That red wire coming from the battery goes to a relay and from the relay to the starter? 

That relay should have another small set of wires coming onto it. Unplug that and see if the starter does the same thing when connected to the battery.  If yes then the relay is bad and stuck in the closed position. 

If not then the three wires must be traced back using the wiring diagram to where they originate from.  Either there is voltage being applied to a wire that shouldn’t. And that’s the wire that should come from the start button. One wire gets voltage when you are cranking. (Hitting the start button) 

Relay was replaced with new. I did not try disconnecting the small set of wires, only because of new relay. It also wont stop if I disconnect the Neutral Relay. Ignition key doesn't do anything, only the kill switch works properly. I will try to trace back the wire from relay to starter.

DO the small wires from relay go to start button?

I don't have the service manual for a 92-98 Timberwolf. I will look in forum for the posted manual.

Yes one of them will tie into that starter relay. If you have to cut one at a time and re splice it.  One of them will knock the starter out.  Look at the wires coming from the start button. Also look at the plug coming from the start button at the handle bars.  See what color it is.  The manual should be in the down load section. If you have trouble finding it or need help figuring it out let me know.   

I guess I will have to take off the front plastics. was trying to avoid this, lots of frozen screw and bolts. I was thinking maybe a stuck start button.

It very well could be. But I would spray the bolts ahead of time in case you do have to take apart.  My guess is it’s a 12v wire that’s tied into the starting circuit wire.   If you go through the harness it’s going to stand out.  Something that will looked taped in or some funky wire connector that looks out of place 

I would take that plug off the solonid and test each wire for voltage. See who has what and the one that’s live with 12v I would start following that first along the harness.  

Copy That

it there a starter cutoff relay in the cuircuit? i read that in another thread.

or is that the relay between starter and battery?

Also, glad to see someone is still out there and responding.

There are two relays, one is the starter relay and one may be a safety relay like a neutral safety switch that locked out a relay for safety reasons. I am going to stick with my first gut feeling of the starter wire being tapped by another 12v feed someplace.  

Would suggest disconnecting the small plug going to the starter relay. If the starter stops spinning then something is applying 12vdc to the starter relay. A stuck or burnt contact in the starter switch can do this.  disconnect the starter cable and use a test light or meter in place of the starter.  Find and disconnect the cable coming from the starter button. If power goes away you've narrowed things down. from the connector to switch, or from connector to starter relay. 

Usually that starter relay plug has 12vdc coming from the battery side going to that connector then up to the key switch for power. Two of the other wires will be 12vdc to activate the relay and the other for ground. 

So I have made so progress. Turns out new Starter relay, from Caltric, was part of the problem (not happy with them, always seem to have problems with their products). I found some ground wires that weren't connected (both located on shifter side), and re-installed original starter relay.

Now Start button works, Kill switch still works, Ignition key needed to start (but wont stop with key in off). Checked Ignition switch, OK.  I win for me, even if not perfect.

Rev Indicator allows on, Headlights work, but only High-beam selection. Didn't have any of these previously, again a win for me although not perfect.

Neutral Indicator not working.

Where does Reverse Indicator get its signal?

Where does Neutral Indicator get its signal?

BTW I found out that it is a 1993 Timberwolf. Please add to subject line.

Usually by a switch ( closing / making contact) sending a ground back to cdi unit.  There is usually 12vdc going through a light (neutral or reverse) then to the switch wire. Spliced off that wire goes back to the cdi unit. Switch gets turned on grounding the wire, turns the light on and grounds the cdi unit to let it know its in rev or neutral.

Have you opened up (cut the plastic covering) off the wire harness on this 4wheeler and checked it ?  Reason for asking is I have an 03 kodiak that had wiring problems. Used hand break a sparks flew. Found burnt ground wire near battery negative cable buried in the harness. Cut the plastic covering off the harness, found a place where the harness had come in contact with the exhaust and melted. Someone just tie wrapped the wiring back up is all they did. The ground wire was found melted in a bunch of different places inside the harness from one end to the other end. Ground wire going to the ign coil was also melted to the coil power wire. No fuses were found to have blown. Why I have no idea, this 4 wheeler should have burned to the ground with all the melted shorted wires. Had to repair wire due to some parts of the harness not avail any more, so might as well fix it. Think a battery got hooked up backwards or tried to jump start it with cables hooked up wrong. will never know what happened.

Brown red wire from ign switch 12vdc. brown red wire to indicator lights.  From indicator lights, Rev G/L wire (green/blue) to rev switch to ground. Neutral  sb (sky blue wire) to neutral switch to ground.

image.thumb.png.9029f25c9e89e00d95026c3ff3b23b9b.png

Thanks David.

I'm still working on it. is been brutally cold this week.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Scoopeddad
      I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.
    • By joseph
      my atv will start right up will idle fine soon as i try to throttle up engine dies,i have changed gas,new fuel pump and lines great compression 188 lbs.new coil new spark plug adjusted valves dont know what to do also rebuilt carb,any help wanted
    • By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By stymy68
      So I'm trying to figure out the year of one of my Timberwolf's. I have 4.
      2 are definitely 1993's, as I can read the serial number on those.
      1 has to be close to a 93, as the back rack and lug width (156) are the same as the 93's.
      The last one is killing me. Someone painted over the serial number.
      Listed are the differences
      Back rack is different. It goes through the plastics and will pivot on the rear attachment. Doesn't have the handles out the side, either.
      Doesn't have the loops coming out of front plastics.
      Foot rests are different.
      Lug pattern is 110.
      Everything I've read, says that the Timberwolf was produced from 92-98 and then changed name to Bear Tracker. Most parts are interchangeable through those years. Only change I found, was front brakes were upgraded to disk in 2001.

• By davefrombc
      1992-98 Yamaha YFB250 Timberwolf 2WD Service Manual
      View File Service/Repair manual 1992-98 Yamaha YFB250 Timberwolf 2WD
      Submitter davefrombc Submitted 08/06/2017 Category Yamaha ATV  
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By stymy68
      So I'm trying to figure out the year of one of my Timberwolf's. I have 4.
      2 are definitely 1993's, as I can read the serial number on those.
      1 has to be close to a 93, as the back rack and lug width (156) are the same as the 93's.
      The last one is killing me. Someone painted over the serial number.
      Listed are the differences
      Back rack is different. It goes through the plastics and will pivot on the rear attachment. Doesn't have the handles out the side, either.
      Doesn't have the loops coming out of front plastics.
      Foot rests are different.
      Lug pattern is 110.
      Everything I've read, says that the Timberwolf was produced from 92-98 and then changed name to Bear Tracker. Most parts are interchangeable through those years. Only change I found, was front brakes were upgraded to disk in 2001.

• By Deañna
      I have a 1996 Timberwolf with a stick shifter.  When I got it the previous owner told me it was a transmission issue.  He also said the starter went out.  I got it home and the battery was dry.  Changed plug, coil pack, filter and all fluids. I have it running well, but the shifter does not move. It is stuck in neutral. The reverse lever seems to be all the way to the front. Does anyone know where I should begin?
    • By Logan West
      Has anyone on this forum ever done a starter rebuild instead of buying a new one? 
      I have a 2000 KLF300c that I have changed the solenoid on and am getting power to the starter but no electric start.

I was looking at options online and I can get a replacement for $45 but see that rebuild kits are only around $15, anyone have any luck with these?
    • By Dunnym
      I changed the starter and starter solenoid. Battery died so I bought a new battery.  Hooked up positive post first then I went to hook up negative wire and the atv tried to start. Key is not in the ignition and start switch is not being depressed. Anyone ever have this issue?  I was going to check solenoid with meter, but haven't had a chance yet. 
    • By Reece K.
      I just recently bought a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 from a buddy who had the wheeler sitting in his garage for 7 years. I got it home and fired it up pushed it out of the garage and tried to shift it and it wouldn't shift. First it would click like it was shifting, but the wheeler wouldn't move and when I hit the gas it revved up like I was in nuetral. After trying some more it became stuck in 1st gear and wouldnt shift at all. But it later broke loose agian and acts like it is in neutral again. I took the motor off the machine to make it easier to work on.After asking friends they were convinced it was a clutch problem but after opening up the casing for the clutch I don't see anything out of the ordinary and am concerned that it may be a transmission problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you.