Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500 with a susuki motor, 2500 hours.  I was riding it yesterday, came out this morning, will turn over but no start.  I have spark and fuel.  Took carb off and cleaned it.  Back firing out of exhaust and air intake.  Not sure how one day it runs but 12 hours later it won't.  Just need some pointers on where to look.

It’s possable that the timing chain jumped when you shut the bike down. Check the timing first and see how it looks.   Then check the plug and see if it’s flooded out and the color of the plug.  Maybe the float in the carb is stuck.  But start with the timing.  

Try a new spark plug first,sometimes they foul for no particular reason. Check the valve adjustment, both intake and exhaust. This is an annual  check/adjustment that rarely gets done when it should. Suzuki's are know for suffering tight valves due to wear on the valve faces and seats. This is what i usually check first with the kinda reverse backfire symptom. The 500 Zooks are pretty tough engines. Other than that i'll need more info for a better diagnosis. Good Luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By mike13ortega
      hey i recently bought a 1988 honda fourtrax trx300 2wd that dosnt run, it has no spark when i tryied kickstarting it the neutral light comes right up so i thought it may have some spark but checked it with the sparkplug against the frame and electric starting it and NO SPARK!!! so i dont know what might be wrong, i checked all the wiring and it all looks good, i put my honda recon coil it it and still no spark so im left with maybe a bad cdi??? or what else could it be??? any help please
    • By 4tracker
      I'll keep looking/asking until I find someone that's in same boat, or atv as I'm in lol Well maybe not the exact same atv, any atv would be ok lol
      Riding skills from slow poke to flat WOT is fine with me, as long as were out there in Gods country!! Get in touch before the season starts to get acquainted before hand! Thanks, Steve

• By Todd Trask
      Well, I received stator, pick and new key switch asembly. I have great spark. Thanks to all whom responded.
      NOW it Starts up with hesitation. Idles good , give a little gas it boggs down, back fires & dies instantly. Will start up after it back fires
      DID I MESS WITH TIMING
    • By Spartacus Stroppel
      has anyone tried these cheap carbs from china? the original carburetor has been rebuilt by a shop right before i bought this quad and i think the float is shot the work done was way sub par... the price of the seal kit was as much as the whole carb... i have used the china 150cc engines with no problems... and have used the harbor freight 212cc engines on mini bikes.. so im hoping to hear so one has used them on this model with ease.... if no one replies i will update in a day or 2 i got the carb it looks very well made. has the carb sencer and warmer all ready installed..
    • By Rob113
      Hello guys! I ride a triton 450 super moto. i hawe change connecting road... Now all is okey,test drive ok manny km done. But there is one problem...i hawe buy a new accu. But the starter is verry hard rotate...almost stops.  So the motor is wery hard to start. I hawe trie connect the starter directley to accu and its the same thing.Before rebuild the starter has work normal.
      What hawe i done wrong?
      Sorry for my English:)
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Scoopeddad
      I have a 1994 big bear and I am starting to have issues starting. I put in a new starter and selnoid as the at stopped starting with the electrical but will still start with the pull cord. Where and what now should I be looking at to check? If I turn key to on and the switch to on then hit the start button, the bike clicks and then nothing. Lights still work but no response to the starter. Stumped now. Any help would be greAt.
    • By Cory Macleod
      Hi looking for help. My 700 fuel pump won’t cycle when I turn key on also my digital dash is not displaying anything it does light up yellowish but nothing else. If I pour fuel in the intake it will start for second
    • By Resurgence Small Engine Inc.
      Here is a reminder to confirm comparability when ordering parts.
      This E-Ton Viper 90 that does not start or crank. Before coming to the shop, the ignition switch had been replaced.
      Watch the video to find out the diagnosis!
      Resurgence Small Engine Inc.

• By scottj11
      Hello, how are you'ns doing? I'm in the process of tearing my Kawasaki Bayou down to fix a rattling noise and an oil leak. I'll probably be asking questions about this project. My step-son has an Arctic Cat 300, he was riding yesterday and when he turned it off it was running fine, but it won't do anything. The lights come on but it won't turn over or anything. Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong? TIA
    • By Jmpmstr91b
      Hey guys.... I’m new to this atv mechanicing and replaced the stator and oil pump chain in my 05 king quad 700 and now the damn thing won’t start... all the timing marks appear to be right on... put a new woodruff key in when I pulled the old rotor (flywheel) off.... I don’t get why it won’t start.... any suggestions? Got plenty of fuel and good spark too