Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

93 Bayou 300c 4x4 - My first used toy

pokerl0w

Bought this 2 weeks ago.. Starts up fine, seems to run fine. But I am clueless. I tried to pull something small in high gear mode, unknowingly <- n00b

There' s a small oil leak from the back/bottom end. maybe 1-2 tablespoons/day after riding it some, otherwise maybe 1tsp/day. I was trying to start it at least every other day (not garaged, gets below freezing)

The main issue (aside from full rebuild *see below) is I am seeing smoke from the top of the engine and there is that oil leak in the back. I am hearing something as well, not quite sure what, hope someone else with trained ears can tell me it's just the sweet-uniq'saki :D

If I can get through the winter plowing around, then I can start on my rebuild. Looking to use OEM where possible, aftermarket when makes most sense - I do not care about speed, I like torque .. hauling and crawling.

I am also sharing pictures of the oil. And yes, there is some metal in that oil.. which is just magic fairy dust from tinker fairies say my girls, and I can keep beating without issue 😬

Metaloil:

large.20190113_104517.jpg.7c20fc314ce0ff7044a41ee1ae954e16.jpg

(image taken with flash:)large.20190113_104537.jpg.bf11d3f096e399b725233a189fa37fa2.jpg

Here's the smoke:

20190113_105012

Here's engine (left) and back/muffler:

20190113_104854.mp4

TLDR;

sad disclaimer: bought this beast from a local seller. this is my first and after having it 2-weeks, riding maybe 1 hour... I got took. I'll tell ya'll how much I paid after we chat about'er for a bit so I do not get crushed.  I am not a mech but I have wrenched many'o'things from sparks, water pumps, swapping clutches .. but not bikes or small engines all v6+ just saying I know something, but lots more of nothing!  I do like the bayou series and (think?) need 4x4 for the snow and trials here in the Sierras. I want to swap the frame in the spring, as this one is not only bent but has some suspect welding

Edited by pokerl0w

i just got a Kawasaki Prairie myself.. i looked at a couple bayou's but did not like the trans setup... i am all so plowing snow with mine once i get the plow fixed... i liked the fact of the CV trans with belt... this way if i hit something hard it will give in the belt and hopefully not rip gear teeth off in trans... i got mine as a basket case. so.i been bolting it back togthere with the help of a repair manual i bought on line...i have not yet hit 10.post on this forum to unlock that yet... i can tell you if you keep running it you will probably be money ahead to find a used engine off of ebay

• Like 1

i think I got 10 posts by putting my location. I wanted everyone to know where to come help me heh

hmm well yes there's some metal in the oil but that should mean piston or maybe (what else could be metal inside that would sheet/flake off like that?) If an engine has water in it, when it dries out - mineral deposits?

I ordered warn plow setup that should match a range of years for the b'you. I was messing with the oil and all so I did not put on the mount. Right on your sakiP! I will search your profile for pics.

guess only 5 min to edit. sorry for stacking. I know mods hate that for server load and users hate it b/c looks like i'm spamming. I need more time to edit dmnit, getting old here!

.....some metal in the oil but that should mean piston or maybe prev owner's sleeve? (what else could be metal inside that would sheet/flake off like that?) If an engine has water in it, when it dries out - mineral deposits? I should be able to rebuild - engine looks OEM, don't it? :) .....

Hey @pokerl0w welcome to quad crazy.  

Sounds  like you have your hands full with this bike.   That pic yiu posted with the oil leak is at what location? You can’t really see from that pic.  Metal shavings (aka fary dust) could be from so many things let alone the piston.   As long as it’s not chunks of metal.   I would drop the oil and filter ASAP and get some fresh stuff in there.   As far as the leak goes, if it’s not a major job/location of the leak and you have a place to work on it maybe change it out.  If it’s a major job then just stay on top of it until you can fix it.    It’s a tough call buying a used bike.  You never know the history.   Hopefully you can get it fixed up.  I would be a little careful with the plowing until you see what’s going on with the bike since a plow can put a lot of stress on the engine and drive train.   Last thing you want is blowing the engine up or even worse having something blow a hole in the engine or a seal blowing out and it’s oil all over the pace as well. Good luck with the bike and any questions or help you need this is the place for answers.  

• Like 1

thanks guys! yeah I know this place is the best for atv help, I tried to be a silent member :)

glad to hear that is not heavy metal 🤘in the oil. I will change it 3x/week if I have to for a while. It is hard for me to tell where the leak is coming from as it sits, I'll try to lift it enough to get under and see or wait until I roll'er in the snow and take a look while she's on her back 

• Haha 1

does that mean I can let it smoke for a while?

btw, that metal in the oil... idiot here solved the puzzle. I stripped the oil plug and caused the metal. I bet I even ran metal through there after I did it and caused more (minor?) damage.

this is why I didn't mind buying a "junker" - it's like the old computer days when you didn't save often or backup to the almighty cloud - I'd break or lose something and have to rebuild.

• Like 1

Yes you can let it run. The smoke is coming from oil leaking out of someplace on the head and hitting the hot surface of the metal and smoking. Just keep up on the oil level.  

And you are right, buying a junker you have no place to go but up and will learn a lot. And if you screw it up oh well! Not a huge loss! 

Great work brother.  You will figure things out as you move along.  Keep doing and asking and you will find out things work out for the most part. Keep it up.   

1 hour ago, pokerl0w said:

does that mean I can let it smoke for a while?

btw, that metal in the oil... idiot here solved the puzzle. I stripped the oil plug and caused the metal. I bet I even ran metal through there after I did it and caused more (minor?) damage.

this is why I didn't mind buying a "junker" - it's like the old computer days when you didn't save often or backup to the almighty cloud - I'd break or lose something and have to rebuild.

if you can find the thread size and pitch. auto parts places have what is call a one oversized drain plug but try and find a one over size drain plug with piggy back... this is a drain plug with another drain plug in it...that way you wont have to deal with the stripped one. you take out the piggy back and drain there...

4 minutes ago, Spartacus Stroppel said:

if you can find the thread size and pitch. auto parts places have what is call a one oversized drain plug but try and find a one over size drain plug with piggy back... this is a drain plug with another drain plug in it...that way you wont have to deal with the stripped one. you take out the piggy back and drain there...

ty, I found this searching as well. I can not believe I used a breaker bar and stripped this out. I knew I was off and just not mentally accepting! heh
What I have not found, if anyone might have - a bayou 300 getting tap'd. I have seen others (honda, etc) - always nice to match up models
And if not.. I'll record it, but as my first, might get edited by my kids and never see it's 4 seconds of fame.

I think you are talking about a 1-time, oversized self-tapping. and I hear you. after watching some videos and realizing my metal errors, I'm concerned of getting more metal flakes.

eg: I saw a video on help to keep metal out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm_kNq6By5w

I do not have a pulley setup, that'd be sweet. I was thinking to drain/jack/tap - reverse it, clean it or even try to blow. there would be some oil left, better than nothing? or do these self-taps make themselves 1-timers that if I reverse I run out of thread next time and end up leaking with a larger hole?

just like a self tapper in wood... you might get away with taking it in and out 2 times but its cutting threads "its own new threads" everytime you take it in and out... thats why the piggy back is so....important..... it is not self tapping its a mini drain plug in the self tappeting drain plug...

here a pic say a thousand words... see start of thread its that way to cut threads this is a single oversize... see the mini drain plug in the center this is where you would do your oil changes for this piont forward

Screenshot_20190115-021812.png

yes, ty. Napa Auto has been kind to me, expensive, but kind and I'm sure they'll have a tap/pb. My concern is the amount of metal now from the self-tapping. Instead of 1-2 threads like I caused, there will be all of them threads (looks like 9-11?)

or perhaps..  I can self-tap, leaving the piggy open and blow through the metal it produced. I dunno, seems like either air or oil I have to hope to get it all out with the piggy or back it out and flush it, right? Can't self-tap without metal going someplace. Hate to waste all this oil.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:26 AM, Spartacus Stroppel said:

i just got a Kawasaki Prairie myself.. i looked at a couple bayou's but did not like the trans setup... i am all so plowing snow with mine once i get the plow fixed... i liked the fact of the CV trans with belt... this way if i hit something hard it will give in the belt and hopefully not rip gear teeth off in trans... i got mine as a basket case. so.i been bolting it back togthere with the help of a repair manual i bought on line...i have not yet hit 10.post on this forum to unlock that yet... i can tell you if you keep running it you will probably be money ahead to find a used engine off of ebay. 

I would ALWAYS go with cvt for atvs.

As far a Kawasakis go, I'm not a fan.  the Kawasakis I have known/driven have not been built/held up well.  I had nothing but trouble out of mine..(I do realize it was beat to pieces before I got it and like you, I paid an ram and a leg for it and have put in almost twice as much as I bought for it)  For plowing, I have never gotten the chance to plow with an ATV, (bayou never held up long enough to get a plow on it :frown:)  I think a bigger 4x4 cvt beast would do better for plowing.  Also, I think maybe efi would perform better for cold starts...?  I just got a Polaris sportsman 500cc 4x4 and its a 900 pound pure beast!  Still getting it running but I think that would do awesome for plowing!

Anyway, I'm not trying to be the jerk that always tells you you made the wrong choice...  I think my bayou is just a beat up lemon.  I think this bike would do awesome for plowing!!  I got beefy 25 inch wheels on mine and it gets so much traction, its scary...and its 2x4...  I think the worst thing you can do is question your decision on which bike you bought.  Just jump in and be all in with this bike rather than wishing you got something else or a different model or whatever..

maybe this is like ford/chevy/dodge then. they are all fine by me, whatever fits your wants n' needs.

I am talking out of my pie-hole as well. You, at 15, have more experience with bikes and engines than I do not riding them for longer than 15years! This is my first bike, so i'ts probably just the honeymoon period :)

This thing is beat on and I do not regret my decision, just my negotiating and lack of ability to properly read the bike and it's flaws. I knew handlebars were bent, should have known that meant it was either rolled or smashed and there could be other damage aside from plastic (which there's plenty of). Hah looking at it again yesterday after going over the winch thread, the front of the frame is so bent up, not sure I can easily get my HF badlands installed 😕

But honestly I want to get a new frame and really build this thing so I know every part. I do not need to rebuild the engine/diffs/tranny/etc, I don't have endless time. But watching videos and you guys, makes it seem fun and easy to pull apart heads and adjust valves.

Send a half-ton atv my way that needs such work and maybe I'll bite, regardless of manufacture.

Oh, I got this mainly due to the 4x4 as I thought I could not trust 2wd (esp without a diff lock) to plow. Weight plays heavily into it, you are right, I want it all! <- starts searching for less desirable sportsmans

Seems like the front diff does not kick in right away. Sigh, another fix-it/tune-it thread perhaps or that's the way the bayou works?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pokerl0w said:

maybe this is like ford/chevy/dodge then. they are all fine by me, whatever fits your wants n' needs.

I am talking out of my pie-hole as well. You, at 15, have more experience with bikes and engines than I do not riding them for longer than 15years! This is my first bike, so i'ts probably just the honeymoon period :)

This thing is beat on and I do not regret my decision, just my negotiating and lack of ability to properly read the bike and it's flaws. I knew handlebars were bent, should have known that meant it was either rolled or smashed and there could be other damage aside from plastic (which there's plenty of). Hah looking at it again yesterday after going over the winch thread, the front of the frame is so bent up, not sure I can easily get my HF badlands installed 😕

But honestly I want to get a new frame and really build this thing so I know every part. I do not need to rebuild the engine/diffs/tranny/etc, I don't have endless time. But watching videos and you guys, makes it seem fun and easy to pull apart heads and adjust valves.

Send a half-ton atv my way that needs such work and maybe I'll bite, regardless of manufacture.

Oh, I got this mainly due to the 4x4 as I thought I could not trust 2wd (esp without a diff lock) to plow. Weight plays heavily into it, you are right, I want it all! <- starts searching for less desirable sportsmans

Seems like the front diff does not kick in right away. Sigh, another fix-it/tune-it thread perhaps or that's the way the bayou works?

Like my dad has always beat into my head, the best vehicle/atv is one that runs, gets the job done, and is paid for.

As for experience, I got into atvs when I was around 10 and only just got my first one (the bayou) in June knowing nothing about them.  Everything I know now is thanks to youtube and this forum.  I'm really in the same boat as you.  As for the winch, you can get it mounted on anything-  my bayou was by no means built for a winch, but I used a piece of steel to 'bridge the gap'  and just bolted the mounting-plate to that.

I'm surprised your bike doesnt have diff lock?  I thought all bayous at least models like mine had it..  It definitely helps with 2x4..  weight...  yes it certainly does!  If you throw 400 pounds of sand/salt bags on your racks, you can pull anything.  thats one thing I was impressed with my bayou.  I made a dump trailer for it that had the capasity of 3 wheelbarrows and loaded it down with mulch and it pulled it up a steep bank no problem.

I'd sell you my 97 bayou 300 right now for $1200..or even $1000.  its got a tick in the exhaust rocker..  I dont want it because of the whole cvt/4x4 thing I already told you about..well I guess you already know all about it from the '97 bayou 300 runs bad' thread.

14 hours ago, Spartacus Stroppel said:

just like a self tapper in wood... you might get away with taking it in and out 2 times but its cutting threads "its own new threads" everytime you take it in and out... thats why the piggy back is so....important..... it is not self tapping its a mini drain plug in the self tappeting drain plug...

here a pic say a thousand words... see start of thread its that way to cut threads this is a single oversize... see the mini drain plug in the center this is where you would do your oil changes for this piont forward

Screenshot_20190115-021812.png

I ended up buying a 12mm self-tap (no piggy) with crush washer and a 14mm piggy. I figured if the self tap fails, I have the piggy. But I also was measuring to try and limit the amount of possible metal.

I let it idle for about 5-8min and then ran it around the yard for couple mins.. its raining and I saw 3 oil drips. However, let's just say my undercarriage isn't very sightly heh. And the plastic is ripped apart a bit from the previous owner's handy work when he filled oil. I'm hoping I only have my same drip as previous and solved my dp botched job