Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ajmboy

ATV Battery Trickle Charger

1 minute ago, davefrombc said:

If the batteries have been discharged to that point  they are scrap.

Even  if you could trick them into taking a charge ( the old ferro/mechanical  chargers would charge those batteries)  they will  never have any decent capacity , and in fact  are very likely to develop  shorted cells  due to the  plates shedding  sulphates.

gotcha yea i was afraid of that tho i have heard that some nicer batteries will come back from the dead so i wanted to give it a shot and maybe save some $$$ (these are like the big diesel batteries two are for a tractor the other is for a bulldozer.  not sure what new batteries will run but im sure it wont be cheap.

do yall think the viking charger listed preveously will handle a bigger battery for a diesel motor with high cca or should i get something beafier? and yes i agree with @davefrombcthat once batteries drain and sit drained for a while they go to crap but i still wnated to give them a shot and if not that at least have something to use later on for big or small batteries

Huge batteries like those ones should be charged with a 10  amp or larger charger. Trickle chargers are only good for keeping one already fully charged topped up, and even then some require the larger trickle chargers because of internal leakage not  noticeable on smaller batteries. 

You can "shock"  those big batteries into  taking a charge sometimes by  hitting them  with 24  or more volts DC. Connect two  12v batteries  in series and then connecting to the  terminals on the big dead one for a few seconds. It  may knock a little sulphate off the cells and allow them to show enough voltage  your trickle  charger or bigger electronic charger will start up  on it . Only  hit the dead battery for a few seconds at a time and be sure to  be where any acid  that might boil  out won't hurt anything..especially you. The best way to try to  get  them to  take a charge though is with one of the old chargers that were basically  just a transformer and rectifier. They don't sense the battery voltage,  They just supply a constant voltage  that at first will show nearly  no  charge rate until  the battery  has gained a little voltage back. As battery voltage rises the charge increases but when it is near the  charge output voltage the rate drops again.  Those old  chargers don't shut off when the battery reaches full  charged voltage . They will keep  pumping current into the battery  until  it boils out or shorts.

It's worth a try if you have the batteries there .. You  may get lucky.  Otherwise hopefully  you have a recycler there that will  pay you for their lead content. I took  about a half dozen  dead batteries of various sizes to a recycler here  and walked out with  over  $100 in  my pocket

• Like 1

No issues with the Harbor Freight float charger.  Been using it several years.

• Like 1

I use an older (2015) Noco battery charger that works on 6 or 12v, and has modes for different setups, including a maintain mode. To make it more likely that I'll plug the quad or whatever else in, I have these installed these quick connects on leads to the front grill guard, I have them on other vehicles as well is in the bed of my truck so I could actually charge/jump the quad when it's in the truck: https://www.amazon.com/OrionMotorTech-Battery-Connect-Disconnect-Recovery/dp/B014FEV6EU/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=battery+fast+connect&qid=1610029637&s=automotive&sr=1-8

More expensive, but more uses and I don't need it there 100% of the time. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Bobby_Rickard
      Replaced battery, relay and starter. Turns over and starts part of the time and other times just rapid clicking. 
      IMG_2753.MOV
    • By mjm4jc
      Hello everyone,
      My Suzuki LT185 didn't come with a battery from the factory (no electric start). I was wondering if I would need to add a battery if I wanted to install some of those light bars/pods or should I just wire it in to the headlight switch? Will the generator be able to put out enough juice to run the light bar? Also, is it normal for the headlight to get dim at idle, then brighter when driving? Never had a quad before with just a generator. 
      Thanks!
    • By Gilbey
      Hey yo quadsters, I have a question regarding CCA in batteries. My ATV is cold natured and it will start with my generic battery that's in it, (don't ask me now what battery I have in it cuz I'm at work,) but when I hook up an external battery storage unit (Beatit 1200Amps QDSP 1200A Peak 16500mAh 12V Portable Car Lithium Jump Starter) for quick jumps it fires so much faster.  Which by the way is a bad ass accessory to have around. I keep the battery in the quad fully charged all the time. My question to the pros is how much difference does the CCA of a battery contribute to the quicker start?  
    • By Tim Orr
      Installed new battery was told that’s what was wrong when hit start button I hear 1 click then nothing?  Can the battery just not have enough amps to crank the starter the first time ? I trickle charged it overnight thought it was enough!
    • By JacobSlabach
      Got a 04 Sportsman 500 that wasnt running- owner said it needed a stater and a new battery.  It ran rough (been sitting out in the weather for a while).  A friend and I started by adding a new battery and it would start barely with the choke and his hand over the air-filter.  I decided to install the new battery in the holder on the side.  we had it on the rack because the old on was still in the bike.  I tried to be nifty by turning the battery to put the terminals in an easier spot to get to, but forgot to reverse the cables too.  In a sentence, I reversed the positive and negative on the battery like a dummy.  When we discovered my mistake and corrected it, we turned on the bike, but the display did not light up and the key did not turn on the starter.  jumping the solenoid worked the starter, so we thought the solenoid just burned up when I reversed the pos and neg...  new solenoid and no difference.  what have I burned up?  Also, the shifter does not seem to do anything in the trans.  it slides back and forth like its stripped in the trans.  any help would be appreciated!!
      I think the biggest issue right now is the electrical.