Quantcast
Jump to content

  • Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

    As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Nick Martini

Best bang for your buck Utility Quad?

Recommended Posts

Hello all, 

I haven't had a dirt bike or ATV for years, but a buddy of mine just picked up a raptor 700 and makes me want to get back into the sport. I'm looking for the best bang for my buck utility quad that can go in snow, but also hit some small jumps and trail ride. It would mostly be used for light trail riding; not really any mud holes or jumps around me (Bristol, Massachusetts). My last bike was a 2004 yz125 2 stroke and it was a pain. Every other ride I was doing something to the bike. I'm looking for a utility quad that I can ride for a month without having to touch it. I've done a bit of research so far and it seems like my best bet would be ~2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 with ~1000 miles for about $5,000. I'd love some more opinions from people who are more knowledgeable about the sport. I'm looking to stay around that $5,000 range. Also, there's no trails around me to go more than 40 or 50mph so I'm not too worried about keeping up with the 700.

 

Thanks,

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I’m a grizzly and king quad fan. Have a 660 grizzly now and its a great machine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an Arctic Cat fan, last year I picked up a brand new Alterra 400 for $4,500.

 

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

polaris fan.  the sportsman 570 puts out almost the same amount of horse as the grizzly 700-and delivers it to the rear end.  Jumping- sportsman is for you.  got a friend that jumps his around 4 feet in the air and it didnt blink.  sportsmans are tough and strong and easy to lift for snow or mud if you ever get into that..  got good shocks. 

12 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

I’m a grizzly and king quad fan. Have a 660 grizzly now and its a great machine. 

btw when I said the 570 put out more horse than the griz 700, just keep in mind that was the 700.  some quads are made more cheaply today....some even better..  For all I know the 660 (a little older model) is twice as powerful as the 700.  cc just tells you the size of the engine.  hp tells you the power.  If you dont have a good belt and trans that delivers the hp to the rear end, you can have a 1000cc get smashed by a 300cc.  I say its more about the trans on most bike (to a certain extent) that the cc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


14 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

I’m a grizzly and king quad fan. Have a 660 grizzly now and its a great machine. 

Thanks, a lot. I haven't really heard anything bad about the grizzlies yet.

Thanks,

Nick 

14 hours ago, quadnut20 said:

Im a honda fan !! not sure how well the big 4x4's are at jumping lol 

Haha I hear you there , I know there not exactly made to jump, but I'm talking like 3 or 4 foot jumps, not anything crazy.

Thanks,

Nick

4 hours ago, mikeexplorer said:

I am an Arctic Cat fan, last year I picked up a brand new Alterra 400 for $4,500.

 

Mike

 

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, I'm trying to get into something a little bigger than the 450s. The lowest I would probably go is a can am 570.

Thanks,

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JacobSlabach said:

polaris fan.  the sportsman 570 puts out almost the same amount of horse as the grizzly 700-and delivers it to the rear end.  Jumping- sportsman is for you.  got a friend that jumps his around 4 feet in the air and it didnt blink.  sportsmans are tough and strong and easy to lift for snow or mud if you ever get into that..  got good shocks. 

btw when I said the 570 put out more horse than the griz 700, just keep in mind that was the 700.  some quads are made more cheaply today....some even better..  For all I know the 660 (a little older model) is twice as powerful as the 700.  cc just tells you the size of the engine.  hp tells you the power.  If you dont have a good belt and trans that delivers the hp to the rear end, you can have a 1000cc get smashed by a 300cc.  I say its more about the trans on most bike (to a certain extent) that the cc.

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the long reply. I was actually looking at a couple of 570s. That would probably be my second choice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that the lower cc engines that have more hp typically have higher compression which often takes away from the reliability. With that being said a 570 still is a good option from what I've read.

Thanks,

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will never forget a friend of mine got his 4x4 and swore he would jump it. So one day we are out on our regular trails and we all hit the jump. It was a small cliff jump that had a drop of about 10 feet.  The further you jumped the lower the the drop as the ground got higher with distance.  So we stopped and waited for him.  He hits the jump and as he came right off the jump it’s like the bike stopped in mid air and just went straight down.  Like a ton of bricks.  It was almost like something in the air stopped him.  He stayed perfectly level and landed 10 feet down on all four tires. Lol he was fine the bike was too but just funny.  Fat bottom girl was the bikes name after that.  He traded it for a blaster a few weeks later.  

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Frank Angerano said:

I will never forget a friend of mine got his 4x4 and swore he would jump it. So one day we are out on our regular trails and we all hit the jump. It was a small cliff jump that had a drop of about 10 feet.  The further you jumped the lower the the drop as the ground got higher with distance.  So we stopped and waited for him.  He hits the jump and as he came right off the jump it’s like the bike stopped in mid air and just went straight down.  Like a ton of bricks.  It was almost like something in the air stopped him.  He stayed perfectly level and landed 10 feet down on all four tires. Lol he was fine the bike was too but just funny.  Fat bottom girl was the bikes name after that.  He traded it for a blaster a few weeks later.  

Haha I can image, I know these things aren't exactly made for jumping, but it's a feature I'd like to have. All my buddies wont be able to take their 2wd quads out when it snows and I will be able to. Around where I am some winters we have snow on the ground from December to March.

Thanks,

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing i know about compression is that you can shorten engine life by increasing the compression...  I dont think ehgines that come from the factory with higher compression are less reliable at all.  I personally like the 850 and 1000cc sportsmans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


37 minutes ago, JacobSlabach said:

The only thing i know about compression is that you can shorten engine life by increasing the compression...  I dont think ehgines that come from the factory with higher compression are less reliable at all.  I personally like the 850 and 1000cc sportsmans.

Ok, thanks for the reply. I'll definitely look into those more.

18 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

I’m a grizzly and king quad fan. Have a 660 grizzly now and its a great machine. 

Do you have any experience with the kodiak 700? I was just looking online and saw I can get a near new 2016 with around 500 miles on it for $4,000-$4,500. The only downside I've seen from these is they're not exactly sporty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the 850 and 1000 might be a little pricey- but they will definitely give you A LOT of bang

kodiaks are more sporty than grizzlys which are geared toward utility, the guts are the same (engine and tranny)

Edited by JacobSlabach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JacobSlabach said:

the 850 and 1000 might be a little pricey- but they will definitely give you A LOT of bang

kodiaks are more sporty than grizzlys which are geared toward utility, the guts are the same (engine and tranny)

Hi Jacob, 

I though it was the other way around? Grizzlys more sporty than the Kodiaks? I could be wrong though.

 

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

kodiaks have lower handlebars so the rider sits forward- not as comfortable, but gives the rider more control with messy terrain.  they also have a lower seat for easy mounting and jumping off quick- with the same amount of ground clearance.  in other words, the kodiak is a compact smaller-bodied sport version of the griz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, JacobSlabach said:

kodiaks have lower handlebars so the rider sits forward- not as comfortable, but gives the rider more control with messy terrain.  they also have a lower seat for easy mounting and jumping off quick- with the same amount of ground clearance.  in other words, the kodiak is a compact smaller-bodied sport version of the griz

Hi Jacob,

Oh ok, good to know. You can get some Kodiaks pretty dang cheap. Maybe that'll be my best bet.

Thanks,

Nick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Hi,

I just bought am '18 Kodiak 450. I would prefer the handlebars higher for a more upright position. Are there bar "risers" available to raise them as you can do on motorcycles?

3 hours ago, Nick Martini said:

Hi Jacob,

Oh ok, good to know. You can get some Kodiaks pretty dang cheap. Maybe that'll be my best bet.

Thanks,

Nick

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why would you want them to be lower?  Maybe its just me haha but I prefer lower handlebars for control as I love high speeds over all types of terrain😴

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mothrottle said:

Where did I say "lower'?

sorry!  got it mixed up :nah:  higher, not lower- I prefer lower so that I lean forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Forum Topics

    • By flyinbrian365
      View File 2019 Textron Wildcat Sport Service Manual
      2019 Textron Wildcat Sport Service Manual. 
      This Textron Off Road Service Manual contains service, maintenance, and troubleshooting information for the 2019 Wildcat Sport. The complete manual is designed to aid service personnel in service-oriented applications. This manual is divided into sections. Each section covers a specific vehicle component or system and, in addition to the standard service procedures, includes disassembling, inspecting, and assembling instructions. When using this manual as a guide, the technician should use discretion as to how much disassembly is needed to correct any given condition. This service manual is designed primarily for use by an CatMaster Basic Level technician. The procedures found in this manual are of varying difficulty, and certain service procedures in this manual require one or more special tools to be completed. The technician should use sound judgment when determining which procedures can be completed based on their skill level and access to appropriate special tools
      Submitter flyinbrian365 Submitted 02/18/2019 Category Textron Off Road UTV  
    • By Wolds Alpacas
      Hello - I have just had delivered my 2004 registered King Quad 300.
      The gear change is pretty fierce.  Pretty hard to get into gear from neutral on the foot pedal and when I select reverse on the hand lever, it jumps into reverse with a hell of a kick.
      I am waiting for a service manual to arrive, but in the meantime, has anyone any suggestions please?
      Thank you.
    • By Gunny
      I was able to get out for some tracking in-between storms ... we have lots of deep powder and on this ride, it was pretty windy ... of course, it usually is on these ridge tops. It was nice & cool too. The day started of at -7F (-21c) and stayed pretty nippy all day long.
      Hope you enjoy the video !!!
       
       
       
    • By IdahoQuad
      Hello from Buhl, Idaho (near Twin Falls). I typically ride at least once a week in the Southern Idaho/Northern Nevada area. Also like to ride in Colorado, Utah (especially Moab), Montana and Wyoming. I currently ride a 2013 Yamaha Grizzly 550. Anybody want to ride in Southern Idaho/Northern Nevada area look me up. I know these areas very well. I've also done a lot of dirt bike riding and 4X4 (Jeep) in the above listed areas over the last 15 years.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×