Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Wesley Floyd

2000 Yamaha Big Bear lots of play in shifter

Hey guys, Thanks for looking at my post. I haven't had a lot of experience with problems like this before, so I'm a little bit at a loss. The Quad was really hard to shift, (the dirty carb leaking gas making it idle high didn't help either). The only Idea I have would be is that the torsion spring is worn out, and that there is a normal parameter for how much it should move when those two arms of the shift shaft assembly spread apart.  That's my thought. Maybe someone who has more knowledge then me can let me know if i'm on the right track 😀

_MG_8540.JPG

Are you saying its tight and hard to shift or too lose and wont go into gear?

It's really loose and won't go into gear. When I would try to shift it the shifter would move a lot before there was any resistance at all, and even then it would be hard to get into gear 

Take the shifter mechanism out of the side case and put it in the engine.  The hooked piece at the top of the shifter should grab those pins on the star shaped piece when you operate the shifter.  That star shape piece is screwed to the shift drum.

The torsion spring at the bottom of the mechanism looks fine.  They never wear out and rarely break.  When you put the shifter mechanism in the engine, there's a pin that fits between the 2 legs of the spring.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Shane Pillar
      Talk about what kind of atv you have and what you do with it.
    • By davefrombc
      View File Quad Runner 250 King Quad 1987 - 1998
      Service manual  for  King quads  250  and 300
      Submitter davefrombc Submitted 01/28/2017 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By MarkinAR
      Working on my oldest son's buddy's 2000 Big Bear.  He was having some power loss at WOT so i thought it worth while to clean the carb and put at kit in it...or at least clean the OEM jets and use the new orings that come in the kit.  It starts and idles like a champ, but dies and wants to backfire with any throttle at all.  I assume lean because it will run decent with the choke on. Air screw adjusted fine, nice crisp idle.  This one has fuel/air screw, low speed jet, mid jet, and main jet.  I was assuming just trash in the low speed circuit so pulled it and cleaned again, still does the same. 
      Two questions I guess:
      1. Does it sound most likely trash in the off idle circuit?  This one has a few more passages and jets than I'm used to...and a darn diaphragm.
      2. It now really wants to leak at the bowl drain screw.  It doesn't seem to tighten enough to completely stop the flow.  Seat looks good, screw was dirty but cleaned up fine with a touch of 2000 grit paper.  First for me.  Any idea here?
    • By Ryann Racho
      So Id say about 2 years back I bought a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. off of my uncle. It ran perfectly, nothing wrong at all. I usually go mudding with it or just ride trails with buddies. So as you would assume, the quad is quite dirty from sitting for a few weeks.

STUTTERING PROBLEM: I noticed one day out of nowhere that in high gear at 15-20 MPH, I was already maxed out at 4500-5000 RPM  It would get to 15-20 mph, max out on rpms and start sputtering. It sounded like it was basically acting like it couldn’t go any faster than this.

IDLING PROBLEM: I was fucking with the carberator the other day maybe thinking that is causing my sputtering, and now my idle will shoot up to 2600 on start usually, then I will turn the throttle adjustment down to the normal 1400. The rpms with then fluctuate 10-30 rpms back and forth repeatedly, it will then run for about another 30-60 seconds and the RPMs will slowly drop to about 900-1000 RPM and stall out. I replaced the carburetor and everything seems to be working perfect on that, no leaks and what not but it’s still acting strange. Also, I’ve noticed that when looking into the Electronic Throttle Control that two plates that aren’t supposed to touch have to be WAY past touching to even try to fire up. Even when set at a wide open throttle like that, I still have to give it some throttle to get it to fire up.

Here is what I have done so far: 
      Checked the belt and clutch
      Changed out spark plug (Last one was covered in carbon)
      Cleaned the intake and air box
      Replaced the carburetor
      Replaced the inline fuel filter
      Checked that all lines on carburetor are connected into the right spots
      Checked If intake boot was cracked (Not from what I can see)
      Unhooked and reattached new carburetor (About 4-5 times)
      Cleaned battery terminals and battery off
      Shut on and off Gas Line Cutoff Valve

My next thoughts are that maybe the TPS is fucked up or maybe the Spark Arrestor is plugged with mud. I was thinking tomorrow to purge the exhaust and also check the ohms output on the TPS.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE BEEN BATTLING THIS FOR WEEK AND REALLY WANT TO GO RIDING. THANK YOU!
    • By Kevin Vlogs
      Hey Guys,
      I'm pretty new to ATV's and never owned a Polaris before. Lately I have noticed that it is very hard to shift from Park to any other gear. Is there an adjustment, or is that just the way they are?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Tyler Autry
      Recently started shifting hard from neutral to first causing it to stall. I'm able to lift up on the shifter and throttle up and slowly let off the shifter, like driving a standard. That is the only way to get it In gear and stay running. Also if I come to a stop and keep it in gear it wants to continue moving, eventually stalling out. I don't have much experience with the bottom end or clutches. I just now replaced friction and steel plates and that made no difference. Don't know what to do now.
    • By Jeni Lynn
      2012 Rancher ES-- only when driving in 4x4 when I get to about 15-18mph there is a loud clunk in the front end and a hard downward jerk. Its almost as if its trying to downshift itself. It doesn't do it in 2 wheel drive.  I have checked the angle shift sensor and applied dielectric grease to it, changed the front end differential fluid (the old still looked good and clean) checked and adjusted the clutch. Hopefully someone can give me some more ideas. 
    • By Summer Warren
      Hey I just recently bought a 2002 Kawasaki Bayou 220 when you shift it jumps a lot and while it’s riding it it’s jumping as well but won’t stay started when you let off the gas Could somebody tell me what could possibly be the problem? Thank you
    • By Ajmboy
      This is more of an informational fix I wanted to share..
      My Grizzly has been getting harder and harder to shift this winter and today was completely stuck and I needed to plow the few inches that came down this morning. First thought...oh no, tranny...but it’s winter and maybe it’s iced up. I pulled off the plastic to see what was going on and indeed I did find the drain tube iced up. 
      I took the blow dryer out and de-iced it. Quick fix, I never really thought about the shifter drain tube icing up before, shifts like new!

FA04AC3B-4FB0-4764-AFD9-1492F5CC790B.MOV
    • By pokerl0w
      this bike! did this guy sucker me or what.. ok, looks like this means something is bent that I do not see or one rod is longer vs the other?
      how long do you think this would last before it ripped into the tire? this is the right side, left side tire clears no problem

I can not find them on www.kawasakipartshouse.com