Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ray Roberts

2001 Suzuki QuadRunner 500 High Idle

Hey everyone im new here, i have a problem with my 2001 suzuki quadrunner 500. When i start the bike up it sounds fine but a few seconds later the idle speed just keeps rising to where you cant put it in gear, and if im lucky it will climb down to where i can put it in gear but when i press the gas it immediately want to die. Please help me!

Check and see the choke, it may be stuck.  Double check that and the cable but look good because sometimes it’s the choke connector inside the carburetor. 

If that’s all clear it’s possible that the carburetor needs an adjustment. But you have to figure out why because if it was running good and just started acting up then you have to find out what.  So  if the bike was fine before then something changed that.  Maybe a piece of debris/dirt got into the carburetor somehow, maybe form dirt inside the tank, bad gas who knows. 

Also look at the air intake and make sure filters are all good and nothing got sucked into the carburetor like a piece of the air filter if it was crumbling. 

I would start there. 

It did this when i got it but the starter went bad and had to wait for it to come in the mail, i got the bike a week and a half ago. I will check the choke and filter tomorrow, thank you very much

• Like 1

Check  also  for a weak return  spring on the  main  jet needle diaphragm allowing the  carb to  creep  open  above idle ,  and make sure there is no air leak between the  cab and intake . There could be a partially  plugged  jet making the  carb run  lean. That will  make it rev  high at  idle  and die  when you open the throttle . Before digging deeper ,  check the idle air  adjustment.  Most  carbs  are set from about  3/4  to  1  1/2  turns out from gently  seated. Try turning yours in or  out about a 1/4  turn  at a time to  find the best  spot   for idle and no stall. It sounds like it is  burning  lean right now

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Frank Angerano
      So i took a road trip today to look at a Suzuki Eiger! 2006 in perfect condition other then the fact it starts for 30 seconds and shuts down.  
      Its been sitting for about a year in a shed. 
      It has a plow and a winch included!!!
      Got it for a really good price and all looks good so far.  

Stay tuned.  

• By Adrian Ciotinga
      So I’ve had this quad for the better part of a month, and it’s been hard to start since the day I bought it. Once it warms up it idles just fine and has plenty of power and starts no problem, but cold it takes 20 seconds minimum of straight cranking to start it.
      It’s not really too big of an issue, I’m just curious as to why it takes so long. Earlier today, it took me about 2 minutes of on/off cranking to get it to fire.
      i have attached a video of a cold start to show you what I mean.
      FullSizeRender.mov
    • By Arizona
      So few months ago I acquired a 01 Explorer 4x4 (think its a 350 but not sure) 
      Anyway the owner said it started reving very high, shut the key off and still kept running 
      until finally he shut off fuel and it finally died. During the run away he said the exhaust got 
      red hot and has melted plastics to prove it. Said some thing flew out the tail pipe, I kinda figured
      it was the top of the piston. Anyway finally got around to looking at it (have a lot of other projects in the works)
      and checked the compression, Shows about 40 psi. Can hear air coming out the carb while rotating the motor over. 
      Gonna pull it apart eventually, don't hear any noises or binding in the stroke, You think the piston came apart? 
      any horror stories of these and is it worth my effort and money? Don't really have any money in it yet. Thoughts? Az

• By Venom
      Hi All,
      I did a total restoration on a 2003 Yamaha Raptor 80. Rebuilt the engine and tranny.. Started it up today and it runs great. Took it for a ride and the transmission worked perfectly. Adjusted the carb a little more and went for another ride. It ran awesome, pulled into the workshop shifted into neutral ( Neutral light came on) and shut off the bike. went to roll it and noticed she would not roll. Turned on the key and neutral light was on... After some troubleshooting I found that she is in first gear with the neutral light on and will not shift into neutral... It seems to up shift fine into 2nd and 3rd and then back down to 1st. I am hoping somebody can shed some light on what is happening... Thanks for any help...

• By Randel1
      I'm on to the next project. I am trying to put a 1994 Suzuki 250 2X4 quad runner back into service. I am currently going thru the fuel system and am waiting on some parts. In the meantime I have been trying to locate replacement fenders and I'm not having much luck.  The orriginal fenders have become brittle and cracked due to sun and exposure to the elements. Any help on finding replacement fenders, OEM or aftermarket, will be appreciated.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By davefrombc
      1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service and Repair Manual

• By davefrombc
      View File 1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service Manual
      1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service and Repair Manual

Submitter davefrombc Submitted 01/28/2017 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Quadrunner44
      I have an older 1980s Suzuki quadrunner red lt 4wd (250)
      so just finished putting it all back together and was running fine just needed to adjust the rebuilt carb
      bf decides to hook up an air chuck to the gas tank because it got a shot of air in the gas line well 120psi didn’t agree with any of the parts including the new carb 
      end result : new battery new carb now it just clicks (one single click) won’t turn over 
      hard to pull start gets hung up (unless I remove the spark plug ) gas flooded out the first time but now does nothing purchases a new starter waiting the arrival 
      could there be damage to the crank shaft or pistons etc? Or install the new starter and try to fire it up ? What caused the starter to die after he flooded everything with gas was working fine. 
      Thank you 
    • By Kevin Nicoll
      Anyone familiar with these models? Its a new to me quad, picked it up for basically nothing... Just time and materials now, this looks expensive. 

• By Ryann Racho
      So Id say about 2 years back I bought a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O. off of my uncle. It ran perfectly, nothing wrong at all. I usually go mudding with it or just ride trails with buddies. So as you would assume, the quad is quite dirty from sitting for a few weeks.

STUTTERING PROBLEM: I noticed one day out of nowhere that in high gear at 15-20 MPH, I was already maxed out at 4500-5000 RPM  It would get to 15-20 mph, max out on rpms and start sputtering. It sounded like it was basically acting like it couldn’t go any faster than this.

IDLING PROBLEM: I was fucking with the carberator the other day maybe thinking that is causing my sputtering, and now my idle will shoot up to 2600 on start usually, then I will turn the throttle adjustment down to the normal 1400. The rpms with then fluctuate 10-30 rpms back and forth repeatedly, it will then run for about another 30-60 seconds and the RPMs will slowly drop to about 900-1000 RPM and stall out. I replaced the carburetor and everything seems to be working perfect on that, no leaks and what not but it’s still acting strange. Also, I’ve noticed that when looking into the Electronic Throttle Control that two plates that aren’t supposed to touch have to be WAY past touching to even try to fire up. Even when set at a wide open throttle like that, I still have to give it some throttle to get it to fire up.

Here is what I have done so far: 
      Checked the belt and clutch
      Changed out spark plug (Last one was covered in carbon)
      Cleaned the intake and air box
      Replaced the carburetor
      Replaced the inline fuel filter
      Checked that all lines on carburetor are connected into the right spots
      Checked If intake boot was cracked (Not from what I can see)
      Unhooked and reattached new carburetor (About 4-5 times)
      Cleaned battery terminals and battery off
      Shut on and off Gas Line Cutoff Valve

My next thoughts are that maybe the TPS is fucked up or maybe the Spark Arrestor is plugged with mud. I was thinking tomorrow to purge the exhaust and also check the ohms output on the TPS.

ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. I HAVE BEEN BATTLING THIS FOR WEEK AND REALLY WANT TO GO RIDING. THANK YOU!