Quantcast

Help Identifying Honda Rancher TRX350TM3

Jeff Taylor

I bought a roughish Honda rancher TRX350TM3 and I am having trouble locating the vin number - I would like know year and specs as is it rough , it runs but has multiple little issues ( choke cable seems frozen , carb has sticky or ill adjusted float and leaks gas from bottom of carb , shut off valve needs new o-ring to stop leaking , ect)  just age and lack of maintenance issues , but I need to know what it is to get correct specs … I was told there would be a tag on front end of frame but I don't see one . Any help would be greatly appreciated . 

• Ajmboy changed the title to Help Identifying Honda Rancher TRX350TM3

Welcome to Quadcrazy. The vin is stamped on the frame in the front cross bar right behind the main front bumper/steel bar. You will find it there.  

As for the carburetor and choke cable you should be able to take the carb off and clean it good with carb cleaner and some small wires to clean out the jets.  Also a small can of compressed air will help. 

The choke cable can be freed up taking the end off the control and holding it up high and spraying wd-40 into it and letting it sit. Or remove it completely and roll it up and soak the entire cable in oil. 

The gas fill valve (petcock) I would replace it entirely as its cheap enough. Replacing the seals may not work or only for so long. 

Fresh spark plug as well  and clean the gas tank out when the petcock is off  the tank. I like to use a dishwashing soap like dawn and warm water. With the tank off I put soap and water put the cap on and shake it up good and rinse it out. And put the new petcock in. 

1 hour ago, Frank Angerano said:

Welcome to Quadcrazy. The vin is stamped on the frame in the front cross bar right behind the main front bumper/steel bar. You will find it there.  

As for the carburetor and choke cable you should be able to take the carb off and clean it good with carb cleaner and some small wires to clean out the jets.  Also a small can of compressed air will help. 

The choke cable can be freed up taking the end off the control and holding it up high and spraying wd-40 into it and letting it sit. Or remove it completely and roll it up and soak the entire cable in oil. 

The gas fill valve (petcock) I would replace it entirely as its cheap enough. Replacing the seals may not work or only for so long. 

Fresh spark plug as well  and clean the gas tank out when the petcock is off  the tank. I like to use a dishwashing soap like dawn and warm water. With the tank off I put soap and water put the cap on and shake it up good and rinse it out. And put the new petcock in. 

thanks … great advice …. that's pretty much what I'm in the middle of now ……  this poor carb has sooo much build up - it looks like it's been on the ethanol a long time .  I also checked on the gas valve earlier and yea .. they are so cheap I'm not even going to mess with it . I'll likely just buy the cable if this gives any resistance at all , they are cheaper than I thought they would be also . I will keep the factory one in case … sometimes when I receive those cheap aftermarket Chinese parts I see why they where so cheap , sometimes they seem alright - It's kinda like internet dating - they always look good in the pics . I have already pulled the tank and it looked surprisingly clean inside … gonna give it a good clean out anyway just because I pulled it . 

I'm getting some before pics up here in a few minutes …. didn't think about it earlier so plastics are just sorta propped in place 

Thanks again for the good advice : )

crud … I forgot to mention I did find the vin where you said , but I'm not sure I can recover it , I took some close ups at dif. angles and may be able to pull it from one . I may try taking a rubbing like people do to grave stones .. who knows   lol

I can make part of it out after several cleanings but not all … I'm starting to think the year doesn't matter much in this particular series

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

4 hours ago, Ajmboy said:

Welcome to QUADCRAZY! I edited your topic title and moved it into the Honda ATV forum. Can you post some pics of your rancher? There should be some numbers on the frame somewhere.

Thanks for both … the welcome and the proper placement of my post . I got some pics up now … should have thought of before I got it the workshop and started tearing it apart  lol

Just hit it good with a wire wheel and take a pic with the phone. You will be able to make it out.  You can also run a white crayon over the numbers and then lightly use a piece of sandpaper to take off the excess crayon leaving the white in the vin number.  Take a pic of that also. You can really zoom in with the pics.  

Speaking of a wire wheel that’s what I use on the metal racks when mine look like that.  I put a course wheel in the drill and go to town on the metal and hit them with some black paint and they come out great.   

Post a few pics of the vin we will help you identify.  It looks like a good intact bike. 

I  would  use fine sandpaper rather than a wire wheel . .Honda  serial  numbers aren't very  deeply stamped on the older machines and the  metal  of that crossbar  is  quite soft.  A wire wheel  might  "smudge"  the  numbers. I learned that the  hard way when I did  mine .

Edited by davefrombc
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Just hit it good with a wire wheel and take a pic with the phone. You will be able to make it out.  You can also run a white crayon over the numbers and then lightly use a piece of sandpaper to take off the excess crayon leaving the white in the vin number.  Take a pic of that also. You can really zoom in with the pics.  

Speaking of a wire wheel that’s what I use on the metal racks when mine look like that.  I put a course wheel in the drill and go to town on the metal and hit them with some black paint and they come out great.   

Post a few pics of the vin we will help you identify.  It looks like a good intact bike. 

IMG_1354.JPG

IMG_1353.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

ones a little blurry … I can get some of it …. I'm going to try the white crayon thing … that sounds like it might work . 

Thanks for the help and great ideas guys  :  )

Just a bit aside of the VIN  identification is this site .. It  is a Honda motorcycle/ ATV parts company that has a list of all  the models and years .. Quads are way down the list .

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/honda-parts/honda-model-prefix

I also  had a site saved that  listed all the VINs for  Quad models by year. It  helped me identify the  2 characters of mine   I couldn't read when  I  had to  get mine to register it  to  license  it when the province brought quad licensing in.  Unfortunately whoever  owned the site didn't  keep it  up so  it expired along with a  lot of very valuable information to  old  bike / quad  owners and restorers.

3 hours ago, davefrombc said:

Just a bit aside of the VIN  identification is this site .. It  is a Honda motorcycle/ ATV parts company that has a list of all  the models and years .. Quads are way down the list .

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/en/honda-parts/honda-model-prefix

I also  had a site saved that  listed all the VINs for  Quad models by year. It  helped me identify the  2 characters of mine   I couldn't read when  I  had to  get mine to register it  to  license  it when the province brought quad licensing in.  Unfortunately whoever  owned the site didn't  keep it  up so  it expired along with a  lot of very valuable information to  old  bike / quad  owners and restorers.

thanks for the link … I will give it a shot . I got it off an older man that told me 2 dif. years …. he was old so I didn't question it   lol    he initially called it a 2001 but about ten minutes later he thought it was a 2005 . From the roughness of it I'm leaning closer to the 01 than the 05 but who knows .

3 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

See like I said he knows tons! 

I really like that style bike.  I’m sure we will collectively get to the bottom of this as well as getting it fired up and dialed in.  

Me too … that's the only reason I stopped and ask about this one . It seems pretty solid so far , needs some work for sure but I should have a pretty good bike when I finish it up . I cant afford to make it a cherry restoration ….  but I'm hoping for a dependable fun to ride restoration at the least .

Thanks for all the help and input bud  :  )

Cheery is over rated.  Reliable is key.  I have a ton of inexpensive tricks to make it look great but you have to make sure the mechanical end of it is ok first. So once your past that you can ask away on the aesthetics part.   What did you pay if I may ask ?

Any luck with getting the numbers to pop on the vin?  

1 hour ago, Frank Angerano said:

Cheery is over rated.  Reliable is key.  I have a ton of inexpensive tricks to make it look great but you have to make sure the mechanical end of it is ok first. So once your past that you can ask away on the aesthetics part.   What did you pay if I may ask ?

Any luck with getting the numbers to pop on the vin?  

for sure … I am going to concentrate on it being mechanically safe and sound first then I get to address all that sun faded pink plastic  lol   don't think this thing ever met a roof. lot of surface rust to take care of also … but in due time

Thanks ….. I got to take it out and ride it today for the first time …. seems very solid , rode well and no issues . I still need a rim though … broke the bad one down and used the JB weld on the inside this time and let it cure before putting the tire back on …. then put a quarter can or so of cheap fix-a-flat in it …. still holding so far but I don't trust it enough to use long term.

Yep the after market ones are nice. But if the bike is solid then it may be worth it.  Whenever I pick up a new project bike I take the rims down to bare metal and prime and paint.  They always come back to a real nice finish.   It’s not a lot of work and the end result is always rewarding and worth the effort. 

So if you have a wire wheel for the drill and some sand paper, spray paint you can pick up a used set of steel rims and make them look new.  

That's a pretty good idea …. I do have the stuff to do that . One idea I keep going back too as I have to deal with the faded plastics also … is to flat black every thing … turn the lights off and disappear into the night ….. not saying it would ever be involved in any sort of moonshine running or anything like that … but I do live in the mountains   lol

Lol that’s great.  Into the darkness!!!! The rims do come out well. 

So as far as the plastics if your intent is to paint them black then you might as well experiment with them a little bit and see what you can do.  

Ive tried heat guns at a safe distance.  It works so so.  I’ve water sanded and buffed out. Same result so so! I’ve trained everything to no avail. But I’ve water sanded and ran them up to a local body guy and asked him to spray them in a booth.  $100 bucks and they are like new in a gloss black.

Cheaper way to go is buy rolls of vinyl from amazon  and cut out your own patterns and place them on where you want and hit the vinyl with a heat gun and they shrink right into any bends or corners of the plastics and look great.  They sell all sorts of colors and even camo. Check out one of my posts on my daughters bike. Pink camo patterns home made.  You can also look up spray painting on you tube and find tons of info.