Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ronwv48

2001 Kawasaki 300 bayou shifter shaft

Just got a 2001 300 2x4 Bayou that needs a shifter shaft. Is this a very hard replacement to do? What do I need to watch for? Is there a video on this repair?

Not that hard to do.  You'll need to remove the right hand engine cover and the 2 clutches in order to pull it out.  There's a few washers and springs you need to watch for so a service manual is needed to make sure everything goes back together correctly.  An air impact is helpful getting those clutch nuts off.  The shaft and a new cover gasket should be all the parts you'll need.  A Kawasaki or Clymer manual walks you through the process.

• Like 1

I'll be following along on this thread too- curious as Iv'e never had to dig into the crankcase of a bike

@JacobSlabach if you ever come across and old bike laying around that’s shot. Pull the motor and split it open.   I did this with my son on a beat up xr80 we found. He split the engine just to see how things work.   I explained as much as I knew and in addition he learned how the clutch worked etc. It was a great learning experience.  

• Thanks 1

Got shaft in ,not a bad job ,but now no reverse ,any help appreciated

Are you sure you put everything back correct ? The shifter has a reverse cam. Have you reinstalled that correctly? It’s a lever that’s got a notch in it on the same side under the same cover.  

This is a picture of the bayou I just worked on.  The part that has the arrow has a notch that allows the shifter to go into reverse when you pull the reverse spring lever.  Did that get messed with during your repair ? 

ED3393E3-E731-47D3-8B02-B3CD007E8910.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Is this on the left side by the rev lockout lever?If it is I didn't have it off,just the right side. Is that the neutral/reverse switch

Edited by ronwv48

I don't remember seeing that when I had it apart .Ill look tomorrow Is that the shifter shaft in the pic?

Yes that’s the reverse lock out lever. I was wondering if you re installed the lock out properly ? And yes that’s the shifter and neutral safety switch.  

update grounded green wire to bypass neutral switch. starter works ,sarted up was in reverse so i'm happy. thanks a lot frank for the help    now waiting on gasket to finish putting it back together.

That’s great glad to help. What parts are you going to order?  That reverse cam was bad not my switch.   But I lightly sanded that switch while I replaced that reverse cam just to clean up the contacts.

The neutral safety topic will help you out. 

Maybe @Admin can help combine all your topics to one so it’s essier to respond and keep one topic going.  

Btw that part was $12 bucks oem on eBay.   

Gasket kit entire kit amazon $38. Might as well get the whole kit.   Never know 

If you know how to combine the posts that would be great. Not sure what parts to get now  until I tear the left side down ,just got the right side gasket, should have got the set

ready to put right side back together so I can try it out. I will work on the neutral switch later..I want to make sure every thing else is ok .I just bought it and don't know its history

If every thing checks out ok i'll probably order parts and do the switch next week. I have tried to download the manual 1986 - 2006 Kawasaki KLF 300 Bayou Service Manual several times and it comes back corrupt. Is there a trick to download it.

I don’t know.  I’ve never had a problem but @Admin or @Ajmboy maybe can help you out. I know they double check there downloads for any problems prior to adding them to the library.   

2 hours ago, ronwv48 said:

If you know how to combine the posts that would be great. Not sure what parts to get now  until I tear the left side down ,just got the right side gasket, should have got the set

ready to put right side back together so I can try it out. I will work on the neutral switch later..I want to make sure every thing else is ok .I just bought it and don't know its history

PM me the urls of the topics you would like to combine and I can do that for you.

1 hour ago, ronwv48 said:

If every thing checks out ok i'll probably order parts and do the switch next week. I have tried to download the manual 1986 - 2006 Kawasaki KLF 300 Bayou Service Manual several times and it comes back corrupt. Is there a trick to download it.

The manual was an external source. I've downloaded it and checked it out. I compressed it and re-uploaded it, so it should work.

• Like 1

Well I got it back together today. neutral switch was bypassed, ok  reverse lockout didn't work, ok  Found gears ok, except couldn't find 4th. and 5th. gear  Could the reverse lockout be blocking those gears. run fine, shifted fine. happy for right now with 3 gears and reverse.. think it will work out in the end. any thoughts on the gears? 

I would not be happy for too long.  Somethings going on obviously. A spring is not is installed on the gears maybe or a gear reinstalled backwards etc.  Something was missed.  That reverse lock out can can be looked at while the cover is off do functionality.   Review the work you’ve done and go back and look if you can.   You will find it.  

trying to think I replaced the shifter shaft didn't take the other side apart. Don't look like it has been worked on, wish I knew it's history. i'll tear it down to see if  can see anything.  I'm guessing someone had trouble shifting and kept kicking it till they broke the shifter. thanks  i'll  let you know what I find