Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

ezduzit

94 Polaris Xpress 300 2x4 shuts off when put in reverse

New to me xpress i believe shuts down when put into reverse, but if i hold the override button it will remain running. 

This is not normal operation based on my scramblers i've owned before. She also grinds when i attempt to select high gear and wont engage. lastly she runs great in low gear . I dont know how to fix this or where to begin my troubleshooting. 1994 polaris 300 2x4 thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions

I think there is a reverse speed limiter that goes bad and when you hold down the override it bypasses it. Take a look at some of the youtube videos to bypass it to test.

• Like 2

thanks for the reply and video. what happened next after disconnecting that wire was, i was unable to shut down the wheeler using the switch or my key. so i reconnected wire. I think being that my atv is different year than the bike on the video i probably need to see the wiring diagram specific to mine. Or another video. was not able to find my exact model addressing my issue on youtube that's why i'm here searching.

I think you pulled the wrong black wire.  Find the reverse limiter and follow that black wire and disconnect.

Here's what you're looking for.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

yessir found it and going to go hill climbing thanks again, 

• Like 1

try checking your idle speed-  that could cause grinding when shifting into high.

hey gents, took her for some riding its got great low range but still wont engage high gear. someone on the trail suggested the idle as well, but unfortunately still grinding and wont engage high. appreciate any ideas, meanwhile headed out to pickup a wolverine i found on craigs hope its what he says it is. wish me luck.

Good luck on the wolverine.   I've always wanted one of them as a project.  Let us know how you do on that.  

As far as your Polaris goes does it seem like the idle is high ? I agree with the other comments on the high to low with the idle so I’m curious to see how that works out. 

• Like 1

alright picked up the wolverine for 600, 1994 250cc 2x4 not bad little scooter. she aint the best looking ride out there especially after my seat reupholster job. but just needed front brakes adjusted. long and short flipped her in about 4 days.

question wherever you're from. do you find most atv and the like being sold do not have paperwork? 

its pretty common here i think largely because we have so much open space.

That’s a good question. I buy and sell bikes all the time.  I would say 60% to 70% door have papers.   I always get a bill of sale signed and printed with tye atv number on the bill of sale.    I fill out a form on the dmv web site and get titles for the bikes. It’s pretty simple. 

(As long as they don’t come back stolen)with the vin check.   

And other times I get a bill of sale and just flip it like that.  But I think it’s pretty common as bikes change hands a lot and paperwork gets lost.

• Like 1

thats a good idea going forward the bill of sale. how much$does the vin search cost and titling in your state?

Yep I have to have that bill of sale.  God forbid the bike is stolen.   It’s my only defense.  And you also need that signed and printed name bill of sale attached to the DMV form   

The dmv form here in my is a 51-b.  It’s total cost of about $100 bucks and three weeks in the mail.   They offer expedited service for $30 bucks more.  One week turns around.  

• Like 1

Yes I do have a standard letter that I use all the time. I could show you if you wanted to use it.   It makes me feel better god for bid it turns out to be a stolen bike.  But honestly I have a gut feeling when I buy my bikes and any inclination of a bad vibe and I’m out! I have a good sense of bullshit so I know for the most part based on questions I ask the seller.   

On 3/2/2019 at 9:12 AM, wanrep said:

I think you pulled the wrong black wire.  Find the reverse limiter and follow that black wire and disconnect.

Here's what you're looking for.

s-l1600.jpg

Thank you Wanrep.  I have a 99 500 scrambler that would die when put into reverse unless the reverse button was held down. I just unplugged that black wire and now it works great. Mine didn't even need a diode installed to make the indicator lights work properly.