Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Alex91

1992 Suzuki King Quad Too much fuel

I have a 92 suzuki king quad that seems to be getting way to much fuel in my spark plug hole as I took out plug cranked it over and covered myself in fuel I cleaned carb and fuel filter and fuel pump all seems fine any other ideas

Edited by Admin
Added ATV info and moved to Suzuki ATV Forum

Yeah I got it done professionally and no it ran but not good I played with the valves tonight got it to run a bit but wouldn't idle I'm thinking it has to do with my valves so I'm going to get them done professionally done and go from there 

maybe it flooded and was hydro-locked?  That's what my sportsman did when I bypassed the fuel pump...  overflowed and hydro-locked the engine while sitting..

It turns over runs well only when choke is on but does not idle I think it's time for a new carb and get my valves looked at as I think they are off as well

I would clean the carb first.  Fairly easy to do and just because some pro did it doesnt mean he didnt screw it up

• Like 3

If it is only staying running with the choke on, the slow speed pilot jet is plugged. Sounds like this so called "professional" didn't clean it thoroughly or correctly. 

Also if it's dumping that much fuel into the cylinder the float is either sticking or set at the incorrect level.

• Like 2

So it idles very well but has no top end bought another carb kit did that new diaghram for my fuel pump no more excessive fuel but now have no top end my one top valve is ticking I did the valves at .003 intake and .007 is that correct for the 92 suzuki king quad 300

Try to adjust the air/fuel mixture screw. What’s it set at now ?

valve clearance should be 0.03 mm Intake and 0.17 mm exhaust based off a similar year same engine size manual.

Try a 1-3/4 turns as a starting point and go out to 2-3/4 if needed as the bikes running.

Adjustments should only be made with the air filter installed and cover on as if the bike was ready to ride.  

As it’s running the rpms should climb as you adjust.   The higher the rpm the better.  As soon as the rpms start to drop STOP right there and go back a slight bit.  If the bike idles high lower the idle screw a little bit and you should be set.  

When doing your valves you put it to top dead center then do your valve clearance correct? That's how I seen it done in the vedio on YouTube lol

Your awesome thanks so much man I do everything myself usually I rebuilt the whole engine but this damn carb has been hell 

• Like 1

Check to see if you have a vacuum operated fuel petcock and the fuel pump diaphragm. A leak in either or both of the diaphragms will let fuel by pass the carb and go into the engine. They will make you think you have a bad carb.  If have excessive fuel in the cylinder be sure to check you oil for fuel too.

• Like 1

Yes TDC the cylinder on a combustion stroke. 

You will see on all my post regarding carbs. They are a pain in the ass, frustrating and can make you bat shit crazy! Take a step back and breathe.  It gets dialed in sooner or later. A lot of the times it’s later ! But you will figure it out.  And all adjustments need to be done with the air box and filters all assembled.  I see all the time people make adjustments with the air filter or air box cover off,  take the bike for a ride and boom then when they put the air box back together it’s not right ??? It has to be adjusted as of it were ready to ride .  

If you're getting that much fuel ,float is stuck down or out of adjustment ! Another problem could be dirt under fuel inlet valve or worn out . Is it gravity fed on this model or does it have a fuel pump ?? If it has a fuel pump could also have a hole in the engine side diaphragm of pump !!

Seppi

My KQ 300 has had a new diaphragm kit fitted to the vac pump (self rebuild) and although vacuum is present, will not pump? kit inluded new diaphragms, check valve disks and springs....what is there to get wrong?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Frank Angerano
      So i took a road trip today to look at a Suzuki Eiger! 2006 in perfect condition other then the fact it starts for 30 seconds and shuts down.  
      Its been sitting for about a year in a shed. 
      It has a plow and a winch included!!!
      Got it for a really good price and all looks good so far.  

Stay tuned.  

• By Randel1
      I'm on to the next project. I am trying to put a 1994 Suzuki 250 2X4 quad runner back into service. I am currently going thru the fuel system and am waiting on some parts. In the meantime I have been trying to locate replacement fenders and I'm not having much luck.  The orriginal fenders have become brittle and cracked due to sun and exposure to the elements. Any help on finding replacement fenders, OEM or aftermarket, will be appreciated.

• By dee004
      Hey all. Anyone have any ideas of fabricating an air snorkel for a 2005 TRX500FM and all venting extensions required as well? Thanks in advance Don
    • By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought this scream of a deal the other day - a 94 King Quad 300 for $40.00.  It's been sitting outside with no carburetor on it for about a year.  Its rusty, missing some parts, wiring is all cut up and spliced etc.  No seat, no racks but the plastic is all there minus the headlight housing.  Anyway, who can pass up a $40.00 quad right?  I get it home and looked at the sight glass for oil level, it's about 1/2 oil and 1/2 water.  I drain it, refill it and turn the motor by hand (recoil starter is missing) and it turns over just fine.  I worked on the wiring for about an hour and got it to turn over with the electric starter and got enough of it sorted out to get a spark.  Did a quick compression test, 70 lbs.  Wet test bumped it up to 90.  Ok, so rings and cylinder washed out with water for a year, not too surprised.  I thought 'what the hell' and sprayed some starting fluid in it and it ran for about 2 seconds - enough to show  it's got life.  Since then the compression has gotten worse, I can't get enough pressure to activate the carb diaphragm, therefore no fuel pump either.  The compression is now around 60.
        Anyway, my question is....is it worth it to try to get this thing going?  I tore the top end down today and the cam and one of the rockers is pretty worn.  I figured a top end job would be about $100 or so, depending on the condition of the cylinder but I'll probably have to put a cam and rockers in it as well.  Doing some research on ebay I figure I'll have to spend about $500-$700 to make the whole machine right again.  Much less just to make it run and use as-is but I won't really like it until it's right.  I don't mind doing the work, I actually enjoy it but I'm concerned about what all that water did to the rest of the internals, I can't really test it all out until I can make it run.
      I know it's a basket case but I'm not into it much at all, even if I do the top end and find something else wrong I'm still not out much.  I'm leaning toward ordering the top end parts and going from there unless you can convince me otherwise - any way to check the rest of the internals without tearing it down?  I plan on flushing the oil cooler before I do another oil change, I've drained it twice now and it gets milky almost immediately just turning the starter - I suspect the oil cooler is polluted badly.

I'll get some pictures today if anyone want to see them.

thanks!
    • By Ellery Zandt
      I have no idea where the antifreeze line coming off the thermostat goes too. The carb two nipples in the pic create a vacumme. Can someone help me on this please....!!! my email direct is [email protected]!!!!
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By davefrombc
      1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service and Repair Manual

• By davefrombc
      View File 1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service Manual
      1987-1998 Suzuki Quad Runner/King Quad 250/300 Service and Repair Manual

Submitter davefrombc Submitted 01/28/2017 Category Suzuki ATV  
    • By Dwight Williams
      Ok, so I bought this scream of a deal the other day - a 94 King Quad 300 for $40.00.  It's been sitting outside with no carburetor on it for about a year.  Its rusty, missing some parts, wiring is all cut up and spliced etc.  No seat, no racks but the plastic is all there minus the headlight housing.  Anyway, who can pass up a $40.00 quad right?  I get it home and looked at the sight glass for oil level, it's about 1/2 oil and 1/2 water.  I drain it, refill it and turn the motor by hand (recoil starter is missing) and it turns over just fine.  I worked on the wiring for about an hour and got it to turn over with the electric starter and got enough of it sorted out to get a spark.  Did a quick compression test, 70 lbs.  Wet test bumped it up to 90.  Ok, so rings and cylinder washed out with water for a year, not too surprised.  I thought 'what the hell' and sprayed some starting fluid in it and it ran for about 2 seconds - enough to show  it's got life.  Since then the compression has gotten worse, I can't get enough pressure to activate the carb diaphragm, therefore no fuel pump either.  The compression is now around 60.
        Anyway, my question is....is it worth it to try to get this thing going?  I tore the top end down today and the cam and one of the rockers is pretty worn.  I figured a top end job would be about $100 or so, depending on the condition of the cylinder but I'll probably have to put a cam and rockers in it as well.  Doing some research on ebay I figure I'll have to spend about $500-$700 to make the whole machine right again.  Much less just to make it run and use as-is but I won't really like it until it's right.  I don't mind doing the work, I actually enjoy it but I'm concerned about what all that water did to the rest of the internals, I can't really test it all out until I can make it run.
      I know it's a basket case but I'm not into it much at all, even if I do the top end and find something else wrong I'm still not out much.  I'm leaning toward ordering the top end parts and going from there unless you can convince me otherwise - any way to check the rest of the internals without tearing it down?  I plan on flushing the oil cooler before I do another oil change, I've drained it twice now and it gets milky almost immediately just turning the starter - I suspect the oil cooler is polluted badly.

I'll get some pictures today if anyone want to see them.

thanks!
    • By DUBLT
      Looking to purchase a windshield for my ATV, suggestions of what to buy with quality in mind and will fit without doing any modifications. 
    • By Ted Aregi
      I've got a king quad 750cc has anyone converted the fuel pump relay to a stronger fuel pump relay on there king quad?