Quantcast

Honda Fourtrax bring back from the grave

Also, I'm trying to figure how much more $$ i want to put into this bike until i start loosing profit..  How much is this thing worth in its condition?  I would guess out of the $1000 i paid for all, i paid around $300 for this one..  with parts i have $428 into this bike (not including labor).  it need new front tires (24x9x11) i'm guessing at least $100 for those..where do i stop?  lol

oh and the tick- it runs fine, but the intake rocker had about 1/8in warn off the end where it hits the cam lobe.  this is a dual intake valve engine so a new intake rocker is $100

ok do you think im losing or gaining value by spending the extra dollar to get everything fixed on it?  To be perfect it needs an intake rocker new front tires, the foot brake cable, air filter, battery, starter, could really use some new plastics... I'm just trying to figure out where to stop..  I went all the way with the bayou and lost $1700 lol (of course there was more under the surface on that bike..)

should i keep looking for a rocker or spend the $100?  It seems pretty steep to me..  the rocker for the bayou was $50 or so for a oem..

I don’t think you will get back what you put into it. Your into the bike for about $500 right now give it take a few bucks.   So tires, rocker arm, gas tank, starter battery l, brake cable etc. that’s another $500 minimum. So bam 💥 $1000. You would not get that much for it so now it becomes a personal/financial decision.   Do I bring this bike back to good or do the basics like the brake cable, battery, gas tank and starter and move it along.  Maybe the rocker so you don't sell it with a tick.  

Get $750 maybe $800 or more and you’ve learned a ton of knowledge and didn’t loose money only labor but you learned about this brand and how it all works on the next one and there will be a next one. 

Great advise and I enjoyed reading this as well I look for more as I learning too but have worked on small engines for 48 years man stuff has changed made to hard for ,most to work on except with guys like you as just time patients and money.Your a good teacher Frank  

I have a 350 which stopped being sold in the US market only canada but found out my cdi was done and takes a certain one only but runs perfect again hard to believe really it old and a tank bit very tough my kids road this 24/7 for years and still runs like new sat for 2 years fired up instantly when changed the CDI box.The carb never been touched either.Had to say keep the pages coming as helps everyone 

Thanks brother. 

You would not believe how many old tanks are still on the trails today.   

My oldest bike up until not too long ago was an 86. Sold it and it still runs great.  

I love the new bikes and the technology put into them today but to be honest if it were not for problem codes coming up on the screens pointing owners in the right direction we would all be screwed! 

Not a lot of people know what to do today when problems arise.  

On our older bikes we have the usual suspects. 

Carburetor, CDI, stator and ignition coils and general wire failures.   

Unless it’s mechanical like valves and timing issues. But either way it’s limited to these above listed items for the most part.  Other than that with proper maintenance they will run for decades.  

so i think im just gonna fix the tank/fuel pump issue, get an air filter on it and a choke cable and sell it- its super easy to kick start and runs great.  the tick i dont think im gonna worry about either because its adjusted right so no damage is being done to the cam or valves..  but yea thats one of the hardest parts of flipping anything is knowing where to stop..

so got the gas tank in and i think the fuel pump is bad- not sure because the bike just stopped running- acting like its flooded or not getting gas..  I still had the make-shift tank supplying the carb while i checked to see if the pump would work and it wouldnt start with the kick start..  so i jumped it with the warrior and it finally fired up but would only idle.  then i was gonna see if it would move and it choked out and wont start again.  just replaced the ig coil- i know the old one only fired half the time.. so i know it has spark, but gonna run out and check that, maybe replace the plug..  its the oem carb and i did nothing to it so far, was running great yesterday...

maybe somehow plugging up the pump caused the spark to trip or not get juice?

wasnt getting gas.  duh lol im stupid..  so im gonna order a pump.  could hear the old one making clicking noises but wasnt pumping anything.  also all rusty form water getting in it.  the tick is getting worse..  dont know if im ready to put another 100 into it for a rocker or not..

pretty darn quick for an old 4 speed quad tho...

I was thinking about the Yamaha for some reason about the plastics. Me and you always seem to get into these long posts and I get mixed up with all the stuff we get into and cover.  All good stuff though! 

Take a look at the post I added regarding cdi boxes.  Sparked by another member. No pun intended. Some good info.   

got the new fuel pump in and installed it between the actual gas tank, primed it, hooked it up to the carb and she ran great for about 5 mins than choked out like it was starving for gas and then i couldnt kickstart it...  i guessed that it was because it has an electric fuel pump and my battery is busted..  jumped it and the fuel pump starts leaking gas from itself (like the actual pump)  checked all hoses connected to it and none are leaking, just the pump itself which is brand new.  dont know what to do now...  first time working with an electric pump.. all i know is polaris vacuum pump..

Ummmm  Frank .  It doesn't matter what  size the battery is if the voltage is right.  The  pump will only  draw the current it needs to run;  no  matter  what  the  output current is available from the battery.  If the pump itself is leaking  it  is either  a gasket problem  or other defect in the pump.  Most  quads depend on the  battery somewhat to  stabilize the  voltages  in the circuit.  Without a battery  some  machines won't run  and it is also possible for   voltages   to  jump without the battery inline  to  help  regulate them. Find the cause of the fuel  pump leak  first  and then   try  running the  quad  with a battery installed,  even  if it  is  just  one connected  by jumper cables.  I'm  surprised the  early  Honda Fourtrax  had a fuel  pump..  My  '91  Fourtrax 300FW uses  gravity  feed to the  carb.

• Thanks 1

Your right @davefrombc I didn’t word that correctly jumping from a car is the point I wanted to get across.  I agree the voltage is the same but the regulated amount of voltage could change going to the pump since a higher cca battery can throw the regulator and any other components on an atv into a tailspin if you would.  This is why stator coils burn can burn up as well when jumped from a car. So yes I agree if it were a stand alone battery it would be ok. 

Edited by Frank Angerano

so i jumped it from the warrior..  didnt feel like rubbing in the 'polaris jumping a honda thing...'  jk.  @davefrombc the really old hondas have the gas tank under the seat beside the muffler (metal gas tank right beside the muffler doesnt sound smart to me but whatever..) and have to have a pump to get the gas up to the bowl.  air box takes the usual gas tank's spot on these bikes.  so i think you guys are right- i think the pump is defective.  i will contact ebay and try to get a replacement..  

i thought the issue was the battery when the bike ran dry first...maybe so but then when i jumped it and got it to run, the pump started to leak..

btw whats the best think to do with bad batteries?  Is there any way to fix them like getting new battery acid or any way to get any money from them?

Dead  batteries can be recycled.  You  cannot   fix a battery that has gone bad either from sulphating  from  being left  uncharged or from  a shorted cell.  I  don't  know about your state ,  but here  recyclers  buy  dead batteries by the pound  for their  lead content.  I think  most dealers will  take the  dead battery  when they sell  you  a new one , and either credit you for the return  or at least  dispose  of it.  Again, I  imagine that varies state to state.

Don't believe any ads you  might see  for  "magic powders or liquids"  to  add to  your failing battery to  fix it ..   All  they  do  is separate you  from  some of your hard earned cash and do  zero  for the battery .

Edited by davefrombc

We  have recycling fees on everything you  buy that is  mechanical or electric/ electronic now . They  vary  in amount  according to the item .  Those fees are not  returnable but  on  such things that also  have a  deposit  like  beer,  liquor  and   soda bottles they  are refundable  when  the  empty  container is returned.  Some places pay  close to  the  recycling fee on batteries and depending on metal  markets the  amount they  pay  for a battery  may  exceed what  was charged  as a  "recycling"  fee.

Just a side note ..  I  had a number of old  car and  UPS  batteries   here that  I  turned in a couple of weeks ago.  It was worth the effort collecting them   and turning them  in . . I  got  $160  for the  lot .