Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Samuel Myers

Kawasaki KLF220 Bayou issues

So, I've been having issues with my Bayou 220. It's gotten to the point where it was parked for 4 years just because of the issues.

Issue 1, Grabby clutch: The clutch is adjusted incorrectly and grabs when shifting from neutral to 1st. It grabs before the engine has a chance to rev, which stalls it.

Issue 2, Starter clutch blown out: The starter clutch is busted and spins free both directions.

Issue 3, bad shocks: The springs or shocks are bad and the quad leans hard when getting on.

Shocks you can pick up on eBay relatively cheap as well as the starter clutch.  

The drive clutch issue could be an adjustment or just may need a new one all together.  Just need to figure out if it’s the primary or not.  But that’s easy enough to figure out.   The bayou I picked up also sat for about 5 years. Owner was getting up there in age and he said the electrical crapped out.  It was the neutral safety switch that was bad but man the amount of water and the elements this bike was exposed to.  I had to drain it down and flush everything out and wash the heck out of it. Grease and oil all fittings and she was good as new.   Over all I think it’s a great bike.  C8F61B79-F3E7-4DFD-AFE2-F2999304AF67.thumb.jpeg.c156d7752734bdf90ed4b953e483c7c6.jpeg

• Like 1

That’s my littlest guys.  9 years old rides like a champ.  

That bike as it sits cost me $450 including the parts to fix. 

Wrong. I just looked I’m into it for $650 total.  Don’t know how I screwed that up.  

Posted (edited)
On 4/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, Frank Angerano said:

Shocks you can pick up on eBay relatively cheap as well as the starter clutch.  

The drive clutch issue could be an adjustment or just may need a new one all together.  Just need to figure out if it’s the primary or not.

The clutch issue is an adjustment issue. My brother attempted to adjust it but forgot the second step of loosening it until you feel resistance again. He just tightened it all the way in and tightened the locking nut.

One long term plan is to pull all the plastic off and repaint it. My brother repainted it in this awful green.

20170417_143458.jpg

Edited by Shadow soul60

Posted (edited)

So yesterday I pulled the side of the case to investigate the broken electric start. I struggled with the pull start cup but got that off, and then struggled with the stator for an hour and a half, but got that off, too. If you look before you can see I mentioned that supposedly the starter was bad? Yeah, that was a lie. It was actually the fact that the starter clutch bolts are broken.

Explanation: The starter gear just slips into the starter clutch and free floats on the shaft. The starter clutch is anchored to the stator, which is keyed onto the shaft. When you hit the start button, the starter turns the starter gear, which engages the starter clutch and turns the motor.

Basically that means that with my situation is when you hit the starter, it turns the clutch on the shaft, so it does engage but it doesn't engage the shaft.

Edited by Shadow soul60

Ugh, I tried putting the starter in but of course the freaking thing won't go in. I can seem to get the thing the whole way in. Any tips?

Also, I lost the banjo bolt for the oil line. Where could I find a new one?

The banjo bolt eBay I think I have one but mine was from a 400 not sure if it’s going to fit. 

The starter should not give you any trouble going in.  Something has to be holding it up. Have you tried to spin the gear as you slide it in? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Frank Angerano said:

On the starter ? 

On the starter and in the case. Not that they don't turn, they do, but I can't pull the starter back out to spin the gear.

Edited by Shadow soul60

Have you measured and compared the two starters old to new and checked that the gear is not longer on the new starter as well as everything matching? Something does not sound right. The starter is an easy install. 

Your going to have to try to spin the motor slightly and slowly and push the starter in at the same time.   I don’t see why it should not slip right in.  

So I was unable to get the starter in, but I have a bigger issue, I lost the banjo bolt for the oil line. Where could I get another one?

So, I was planning on adding on LED headlights and wiring them up to the headlight's high beams. I have bulbs but the stupid things are already broken, and the connectors are really bad, so you have to punch the fender to get the one headlight to work.

Any issues I would encounter? I'm just going to cut out the left side (from seat, looking toward front) connector and splice in the LED wires.

So I managed to get the gear to line up but for some reason the starter bolts don't line up. Something isn't right.

Following. Always curious to see how these restorations turn out. Hoping to do some work on my 220 soon, too- maybe I'll pick up some tips :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
    • By anryu451
      I cannot get this drum off, I already have another drum and backplate on order because I've ruined this one trying to get it off. Completely rusted to splines. I cant fit any hub or wheel puller known to mankind onto these lug studs to try and pull it off, I'm really running out of ideas.
    • By Gary Patch
      Hi can anyone help  my 2008 linhai quadzilla 300 is clutch is not doing its job properly the drive is engaging at idle speed slightly    Can I adjust this and if so how thanks
    • By Derrick Lenz
      So I have a 1999 scrambler 500 4x4 and whenever I give it throttle it starts to big down and when I let it off it dies. Its getting spark and fuel. I replaced the fuel pump. The petcock, the carb, fuel lines, fuel filter. And for electrical I've replaced everything but the rev limiter. I took the srv to get it worked on and the guy set the jets and everything on the carb to where it should be and still no luck. The contacts on the ECM are also not touching. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • By Ashton Crawford
      Hello everyone, i have 2000 Polaris Trail Blazer 300 I’ve been stumped on for weeks. I’m having a lot of issues starting the quad. I cleaned the carb spotless because I thought it was a carb issue and bought a new fuel line because it wasn’t getting fuel. The carb gets fuel perfectly fine now but it won’t start. The spark plug I a little worn out but it’s good enough for just one start. The only time it does “start” is when I spray starter fluid into the carb. But it never stays on. It’ll start for a bout a second then just die out immediately even if you’re giving it some throttle and the choke is on. I have no clue what I should do. If you need more information, have questions, or have any slight idea what the issue would be and how I could resolve it. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Tubecatgs
      A friend of mine has this Bayou 220 that started running bad and parked it a few years ago. I foolishly volunteered to take a look at it. I noticed right away the choke plunger on the carb was broken and probably the reason it was running bad but now the old gas was evaporated and like turpentine. Before i even tried to start it, i drained/ thoroughly washed the tank out, new fuel filter, new fuel lines. Blew air through the petcock etc. Changed the oil and filter and air filter and new choke plunger and cable. I disassembled the carb and rebuilt it with a kit. I cleaned the main jet with solvent and poked a wire through it to make sure it is clean.. the engine now fires right up with the choke on and dies when i take the choke off. I adjusted the air/fuel screw to about 1.5 turns out and the idle screw about 2.5 turns out. The rubber boot between the carb and head does not have any cracks in it so I don't think it is leaking air. I originally had the clip on the needle on the second from the top ring... when i moved it all the way to the bottom it starts, runs and idles really fast and will idle eeally high with the choke off but if i adjust the throttle cable and/or idle screw to a slower idle it will sometimes stall but the idle will go up and down every few seconds and when you give it gas there is a hesitation... i tried moving the clip down to rhe second from bottom and same problem... i replaced all the parts in the pic to the top right. However, there appears to be a small o ring, washer and spring left over from the kit... i did not see these get removed..... a) any idea if where these extra parts go and if i need them and b) any other ideas on why i cant get it to idle right or carb adjustment ideas?
      Thanks
    • By wrench66
      Hi all,
      I recently acquired an old Bayou from a neighbor that I cleaned up a got running, then from nowhere a problem crops up where it refuses to start........ I pull the plug and it has no spark, pulled the plug cap off and laid the bare wire on the exhaust header and still nothing......once in a while though when I push the starter button but as I let off the button it might spark once. Now it did begin sparking normally just once and I plugged everything back in and it ran normally again until I turned the engine off. Next time I tried starting it we were back to no spark or the one spark deal.
      I have tested the stator wires at 140 ohm, the pick up at 130 ohm (I can't seem to find a reliable number for these values online), I bought a new ignition coil and ignition switch on chance those may have been the problem but were not, not sure where to look from here......... does the starter relay switch have anything to do with the ignition on these? I know these older Bayou's are magneto type ignitions and do not need battery power to operate but I wonder if there are safety switches involved I may not be aware of. Also, can someone point me to a good wiring schematic for the magneto 220's? Pre 95 I believe.
      thanks for any help!
      -- Ray
    • By Summer Warren
      Hey I just recently bought a 2002 Kawasaki Bayou 220 when you shift it jumps a lot and while it’s riding it it’s jumping as well but won’t stay started when you let off the gas Could somebody tell me what could possibly be the problem? Thank you
    • By Alan Callison
      OK ya'll.My son bought this thing and was told its a Kaw Bayou 300. Maybe. I cant find any numbers on it.The one tag I did find its so faded as to be unreadable. Its a long shot but maybe someone can help ID it. Thanks in advance.

• By Jason Hatton-Fearnley
      have a 1996 bayou 400  with a starting problem 

when checking sparkplug grounded to engine
      -turn key on, hit starter, get one spark then nothing
      -turn key off and back on hit starter, get one spark then nothing

Any ideas