Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Kawasaki KLF220 Bayou issues

So, I've been having issues with my Bayou 220. It's gotten to the point where it was parked for 4 years just because of the issues.

Issue 1, Grabby clutch: The clutch is adjusted incorrectly and grabs when shifting from neutral to 1st. It grabs before the engine has a chance to rev, which stalls it.

Issue 2, Starter clutch blown out: The starter clutch is busted and spins free both directions.

Issue 3, bad shocks: The springs or shocks are bad and the quad leans hard when getting on.

Shocks you can pick up on eBay relatively cheap as well as the starter clutch.  

The drive clutch issue could be an adjustment or just may need a new one all together.  Just need to figure out if it’s the primary or not.  But that’s easy enough to figure out.   The bayou I picked up also sat for about 5 years. Owner was getting up there in age and he said the electrical crapped out.  It was the neutral safety switch that was bad but man the amount of water and the elements this bike was exposed to.  I had to drain it down and flush everything out and wash the heck out of it. Grease and oil all fittings and she was good as new.   Over all I think it’s a great bike.  C8F61B79-F3E7-4DFD-AFE2-F2999304AF67.thumb.jpeg.c156d7752734bdf90ed4b953e483c7c6.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 11:33 AM, Frank Angerano said:

Shocks you can pick up on eBay relatively cheap as well as the starter clutch.  

The drive clutch issue could be an adjustment or just may need a new one all together.  Just need to figure out if it’s the primary or not.

The clutch issue is an adjustment issue. My brother attempted to adjust it but forgot the second step of loosening it until you feel resistance again. He just tightened it all the way in and tightened the locking nut.

One long term plan is to pull all the plastic off and repaint it. My brother repainted it in this awful green.

20170417_143458.jpg

Edited by Shadow soul60

So yesterday I pulled the side of the case to investigate the broken electric start. I struggled with the pull start cup but got that off, and then struggled with the stator for an hour and a half, but got that off, too. If you look before you can see I mentioned that supposedly the starter was bad? Yeah, that was a lie. It was actually the fact that the starter clutch bolts are broken.

Explanation: The starter gear just slips into the starter clutch and free floats on the shaft. The starter clutch is anchored to the stator, which is keyed onto the shaft. When you hit the start button, the starter turns the starter gear, which engages the starter clutch and turns the motor.

Basically that means that with my situation is when you hit the starter, it turns the clutch on the shaft, so it does engage but it doesn't engage the shaft.

Edited by Shadow soul60

• Ajmboy changed the title to Kawasaki KLF220 Bayou issues

So, I was planning on adding on LED headlights and wiring them up to the headlight's high beams. I have bulbs but the stupid things are already broken, and the connectors are really bad, so you have to punch the fender to get the one headlight to work.

Any issues I would encounter? I'm just going to cut out the left side (from seat, looking toward front) connector and splice in the LED wires.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got it. The trick was to stick the starter in then wiggle it while pushing it in. I managed to line up the bolts, then snapped one off in the mounting hole, forever trapping the starter. It was all for none, though, as I have to pull it back apart to retrieve the pull start key from inside the case. UGH...

I pulled the headlight out and I'm just going to replace the incandescent lights with a small light bar in the headlight hole, so I can clear up rack space and get rid of the really bad headlight switch my brother added.

That’s good and bad news! Glad to hear it’s in and sad to hear you snapped a bolt.   How the heck did you drop the key way in the engine and what’s your plan for dealing with the bolt that snapped? It never fails something always has to happen!  I just sold my bayou unfortunately but I got a good price for it so I could not say no. I’m going to pick up a newer bike for my little guy.

Edited by Frank Angerano

I was pulling on the pull start trying to turn the motor over to get the starter in, then it just got really easy. I pulled the "crown" off and the key was gone into the case. Of course the key I used to replace the original busted one is magnetic. 

Luckily though, it was only the starter bolt that snapped off at its head so the side of the case is still removable, but the starter isn't. Hopefully it keeps working for a bit longer, I mean, it's almost new because of how long its been pull start only.