Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

cfherrman

1988 Yamaha 350 Big bear No spark

Posted (edited)

Fixing for a friend. Atv was at a different friends house to be fixed and he rebuilt the carb and had it running nice, then it shut off and no more. He replaced the key and the coil.

So he got busy, so I am helping, I checked the wiring from the stator to the cdi, and from the cdi to the coil. All is good. I checked resistance on the pickup coil, good, and on the source coil, open. I buy a new stator (China) and the 4 prong plug only has 3 wires in it while mine has all 4. I checked resistance in the source coil and it's in the 300's. I pulled one of the old pickup wires out of the old stator and wire it in the new one. Still no spark.

Why do the wires differ, I checked the VIN again and it's "J" for the year and I got a 1988 stator. Please help!

Edited by cfherrman

You checked the stator coil resistance? If so what was the reading? Have you checked the usual suspects like the kill switch, bad fuses and the secondary coil going to the spark plug ? Also have you looked at the regulator.  

• Like 1

The 3 white wires? No

Haven't checked the regulator, how do you check that, I could search that if it's easy to find.

I haven't checked the kill switch wire. Will tonight.

I think I checked the fuse in the front of the atv, will double check.

I check the coil resistance, I have also been using a Ford coil on plug as well to rule out a bad coil as the new coil thumps a lot when you manually spark it.

Thanks!

Def check the stator coil resistance reading and see what you have. My feeling is the stator is bad.  Should be NO continuity from each wire to ground.   Then wire to wire should read close in numbers and within range of the spec.  

Ok I will tonight

Any idea why the new pickup coils only have 3 wires while the old one has 4?

The stator should have three wires.  The pick up usually has two.  Post some pics of the areas and plugs. It helps a lot. 

Old stator

4 wires with two pickups

2 wires for the source coil

3 wires for the stator

New stator

3 wires with two pickups

(Same)

(Same)s-l400.jpg

Here are some diagrams to the bike. Get through these tests and if the stator fails I guess we have to see how one would wire the after market stator in. 

6888C5DE-1636-475A-AD68-5CC7B5A1FC55.jpeg

27EBFA43-020C-49D9-A4FC-00102FFD5668.jpeg

2F07AD0E-BCD9-4881-A893-DFDB22ED87DA.png

D504463F-BF44-4256-AE0B-8744781B89C1.jpeg

The old pickup coil, 180

old source coil, open

New pickup coil, 400!

New source coil, 280

Last night I pulled a prong from the old harness and wired it into the new pickup coil. The new on had them soldered together so I split it and made it 4 wires. It had no spark before and after.

I'm gonna check the kill wire, I did check the kill switch awhile ago.

Thanks

Posted (edited)

Kill wire is good. I'm gonna send the new stator back, what do you recommend to get? I noticed the 1987 stator part has 4 wires, I'll try that one I guess.

Thanks for your help

Edited by cfherrman

I’ve always had luck with Caltric. I know a few ppl have said they weren’t happy. To date on starors only I’ve been happy. They always matched up and held up.   That’s the only aftermarket part that i would purchase. I only buy oem otherwise for all other parts.  They make it well but then again it's only a stator coil. It’s not rocket science building stators. 

That's good to hear, I'm hoping that it's a 1988 bike with a 1987 engine in it or something like that.

I get the new stator on friday

Stator came today and I tossed it in real quick, no spark. Note I just have the cover on no bolts and only a little oil, I just turn it over a few times, does it need to crank a bit before spark?

I don't have any time tonight so I'll have to mess with it tomorrow. I'll have to recheck everything and all wires.

Does the voltage regulator affect spark?

Does the source coil color wires matter

Do the pickups matter, there's two can they need to be switched?

Thanks

Double check it’s installed properly and the pick up coils are properly in place. Go through all the plugs and make sure they are tight.  Test the regulator and secondary coil. If all tests well then you have to think about swapping the cdi box.    

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.