Quantcast

Tires and rims

So after I finally got out and rode some better trails and some mud time I have been seriously thinking about adding a better tire and rim. Bigger and better for mud as well as tough terrain. 

I have  been looking around and can’t make my mind up. 

Im sure @mikeexplorer @Yamaha Grizzly @Gunny @06kfx440 @Ajmboy as well as many more members have opinions and more importantly a few different vendors that I can take a look at for pricing and availability!

Im looking at a 25 inch tire as a maximum without having to lift it or do any suspension work.  

While I'm on the topic I’m interested in snorkels! 

Yes I'm (we as in my oldest boy) are thinking about going deep! Kinda hooked on the mudding, water and crazy trail riding. 

• Like 1

Well Frank, the tires Ajmboy mentioned are good tires. But since you mentioned you're liking the mud, water & want snorkels ... I'd look at the Maxxis Zilla tires. I've read they are a pretty good all around tire and pretty good in the mud. They are light, so they don't rob any horsepower, & they are fairly inexpensive, as far as ATV tires go.

No, I've never ran these tires, but I want to. However, I have to other sets of tires I need to wear at first ..... sigh .... and here's a good place to look at for purchasing, should you go with this tire, or any other brand/style they sell.

https://www.pureoffroad.com/maxxis_zilla_atv_tires.htm

• Like 1

Ok so I think I made my mind up and going to go with a ITP Mega Mayhem tire. 

27 inch and most likely up a 2” lift kit while I’m at it.   

Going to go with a SS rim black powder coated. 

Any objections/suggestions on a lift kit pros and cons ? 

Doing the same thing on my sons 350 but staying with a 25 inch tire maybe a 26. No lift needed and a little less aggressive tread.

Got a great package deal of $1,575.00 for both sets mounted, lugs and lift kit for both bikes.  Sound fair ? 

E30CBBE7-2DCE-408C-8A5E-9A87775ACAEE.jpeg

00FC7E7C-DE8A-47FE-8146-E96DB8F0B9BC.jpeg

• Like 1

I had those SS rims on my Cat, they look nice but they also offset the tires by 2 inches. It made it tricky to load / unload the quad because of setting up the ramps. The tires were on the edge with the Triton trailer and ramp placement for the jumping jack made it a tight fit with both quads on the deck.

I removed the rims last year and went back to standard rims.

Did you order the lug nuts for the rims? They are different the standard lug nuts.

Mike

22 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Thanks for the info @mikeexplorer . So the offset makes the bike wider ? 

I did order the lug/lug nuts.  

Yes, it moves the tires out about 2 inches.  First picture is with the SS rims. Second is one after replacing them with standard rims. What is a bit deceiving is the new tires are also 1 inch wider then the older ones.

Mike

0802181846a_HDR (Medium).jpg

0802181929a (Medium).jpg

22 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

Wow I see that!! It looks more then 2 inches. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.   

No, its just the camera angle for the second picture makes it look different. These pictures might be better, first one is with the SS rims, second with Arctic Cat Rims.

Where the ramps go to load & unload, it changes how much room I have on the deck of the trailer which although does not look like much, makes a big difference.

Mike

0926171827 (Medium).jpg

0927181625_HDR (Medium).jpg

21 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

I see that. I will definitely keep that in mind. How’s that trailer working out ? 

I watched the promo video again on there site.  What’s the price range for the trailer you have ? 

Its working out well for us. It is the 6 x 8 (Standard) trailer. Since I changed rims on my machine, loading and unloading has been fine. This model weighs 1,200 pounds with the trailer plus tent. Axle is rated for 3,400 pounds.

Last year a friend was interested in buying one, so we test fitted his Polaris General on the trail and it fit fine. (This sized trailer is rated for 2,200 pounds on the deck) When he called for a price he was quoted $6,500 for this model. Now there are no longer any dealers on the East coast so what they told him is for $500 they would deliver it to his house.

These are made in Salt Lake City Utah, on the west coast these are very popular with hunters and riders.

0629181744_HDR (Medium).jpg

• Like 1