Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Just picked up a 1989 Big Bear 350 for $250 CAD. Bike was running but lost crank and spark. They've installed a new coil, a couple relays, and installed a Ford starter solenoid in place of the original. Now it cranks but has no spark so they sold it to me. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike so I can test some wiring. Also any ideas as to direction to head would be nice. Lots of things have been hacked together so I know it probably wont be to easy. The ignition switch was replaced with a toggle switch, I already mentioned the Ford solenoid which 1 of the small wires was not re-installed, and a diode or something was removed from the oil temp sensor wire. I'm sure I will find more so a diagram would be amazing.

Great bike. You should be able to find  a manual in the download section but will only be able to do so by having 10 posts in the forum of contributing or by being a paid member. 

Now depending  on how much you want to get involved with this bike you can find parts online via eBay and used parts dealers.    Best to go back to the original solenoid and wore it up properly including the ignition switch all of which are cheap enough to replace.     

Yeah that is the game plan. Found the solenoid on Amazon. Ignition switch at RM Stator, and the diode was in a bag with a bunch of hardware. Also while browsing through posts u stumbled upon a link to a service manual that looks correct, but will definitely download once I hit the 10 posts mark.

Off the top of your head do you know what components might allow it to crank but disable start? The reverse light is always on, and I am not sure about whether brake switches etc are working.

If the reverse light is always on it’s possible that the neutral safety switch is bad. That will lock the starting circuit out for sure. 

Perfect. Do you happen to know does that just stop spark pr does it also stop cranking? Hopefully I wi have a bit of time Monday to mess around with it and see what's going on.

It locks out the start/cranking. Find the wires at the switch which should be located someplace around the shifter inside the engine and have two wires coming out and unplug them one at a time One of them should be green the other red. Not 100% sure of the color code. But one of them at least should be red.  When they are unplugged you should loose the reverse light. Try to crank it then. 

Awsome thanks. It does crank the way it is now, just no spark, but I will look into that. I think I found the correct wiring diagram so that will help me out for sure.

Take a few different color high lighters and a ruler.  Color code the wires with the high lighter.  Put the ruler on the paper where the wire is and run the highlighter along the wire so it’s neat.  It will help out big time, and study it before you tackle it.  

Fore sure I've read over it pretty well. I am a mechanic by trade. Worked at a Dodge dealership. Wiring diagram is pretty simple compared to a new vehicle that's for sure. I appreciate all the help! Hopefully tomorrow when I get to the shop I'll be able to spend a few minutes to figure it out.

So the stator is confusing me a little. The wiring diagram doesnt exactly match up. I pulled the stator out to check it out and mone only has 1 pickup coil in it. When I look up the stator on RM Stator it shows 2 pickup coils for my stator. I've double checked the VIN and it is an 89, although if I look up a 1990 the stator looks more like mine.

Could have been a change over period and may have to go with the 90 but only if it’s an exact match. “Not more like mine” that won’t work. You have to be sure.  

Well it looks the same in the pictures, but it is really hard to tell. Obviously I can tell that it does only have 1 pickup coil like the 90. But dont have a way to know if it measures the same, or if the resistances are the same. I've emails RM Stator to see if they have any insight.

Ok I will take a look and maybe we can make some headway on what’s what. 

Sorry had no time today, I'll try again tomorrow. I did hear from the guys at RM Stator. They said that it may be a 1990 style stator in there. They do list one stator in their 1990 listing that says from 88 to 93 or something like that.

I had a feeling. Whenever there a change over period things kinda get crossed over to the newer models at the end of an era if you will.  It’s actually a good thing for you.  Ok cool. Let us know how you make out.  

I have a feeling your right. So now what? I would buy it and see how it fits up. Maybe a guess but I think it will be good to go.  

Yeah I think that is the game plan. I'll order one from RM stator see if it matches up.

Awesome. Let us know brother. Curious to see how this works out.