Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Sonders

new to me 01' Kodiak 400

finally, it's alive!  I fooled around with the oem carb some more last night.  My needle nose vise grips weren't cutting it while trying to remove last screw from fuel bowl.  By dumb luck a small pocket size pair of vise grips ended up doing the trick in removing it.  I cleaned the jets on it and reassembled and installed it back on the quad.  First push of the button and it fired right up, go figure.  I took it for a ride about a mile down the road and it didn't spit or sputter or cut out at all.  I'll ride it some more this weekend when I get some free time and see how it does.  On another note; the exhaust sounds like crap and I may need to look into a new exhaust pipe for it.  I've never messed with atv exhaust before so that will be something completely new to me.  I'll start a new thread on that when I decide to start digging into it more; for now I just want to ride it some.  Thanks for all the help/replies Frank & Jacob.

awesome!  another trick for removing stripped screws that i use all the time is to use a cutting wheel on a Dremel tool and cut a slot across the head of the screw (not too deep or it'll break off)  and use a flat head screwdriver to remove the screw.  use this all the time on brake master cylinder caps and stripped carb screws.  never managed to strip one myself.. dunno how these people do it..lol whatever

Jacob, my first thought was to use cutting wheel and put a slice in the screw head to get a philips head on it, then I remembered my dremel crapped out on me this past winter and I hadn’t replaced it yet.

Anyways, was out in the garage a little bit ago working on another project and happened to notice gas puddled on top of engine underneath the carb as my side body panels are still off.  Bottom of the carb is wet from gas leaking out so I’m assuming the bowl gasket is shot.  I knew I should have went ahead and replaced it while it was apart.  Will it hurt to use the gasket off the oem carb since it’s new?

by all means strip that aftermarket for gaskets!  just not the jets 👍  :nah:

Finally got a chance to go for a ride today.  Made it about 3 miles and it overheated and shut off on me 🤦🏼‍♂️.  I’m beyond frustrated at this point.  I’ve got the front end stripped off of it now as I was looking where anti-freeze was coming from.  It’s overflowing out of the vent tube up front.  I had it running in the garage once it cooled off just to watch to see what it did.  The fan never comes on.  When should it kick on?  I thought maybe it wasn’t working so I took it off and wired it straight to a battery and it comes right on and spins fine, so that’s not the problem.  Not sure what else to check at this point.

It sounds like a bad temp sensor that should be located on the head with a single wire coming off of it.  Or the fan circuit itself has no power. Double check the fuses are good and the wiring is good. 

That fan is supposed to come on after the engine hits a certain temp.  On a lot of engines the sensor is located someplace around the top of the head  and has one wire coming off of it and screwed into the head. So when the sensor gets to the point that its designed it grounds the  sensor by having a special piece of bimetal that bends on temperature and brings the fan on.

So if you have that type of set up simply  turn the key to the on position and take that wire off of the sensor and ground the wire.If the fan comes on you need a sensor. 

If it’s a two wire sensor you may have to unplug them from the sensor and jump them together instead of grounding. 

I would start there and also order a new thermostat and gasket and throw it in as well.

Posted (edited)

Looking at parts diagram #13 & 14 are both listed as thermo switch assemblies.  13 looks to go in top of cylinder head and 14 looks like it goes to the radiator.  I’m assuming 14 is the thermostat.  I’ve seen the single wire sensor on top of cylinder head that you are talking about.  I’ll check it first.  Guess I’m going to be sinking even more money into this dang thing.

79EF2B8F-D637-477D-AD6E-8E387988F6BA.png

Edited by Sonders

Hopefully it’s just the sensor. If you have the diagram post it I will look and see exactly what triggers the fan but my guess is you take the wire off that sensor on the head and ground it (harness side wire) and the fan should come on.  The second sensor in the radiator may be for the high temp light or a safety. 

In the mean time you could temporarily wire that fan SAFELY to stay on and take the bike for the same ride you did to see if she overheats again and see how it runs overall. If it runs hot then you have a secondary problem like maybe a thermostat, water pump etc.   If not then your problems are limited to just a sensor or wiring problem. 

#14 from the diagram is actually a fan sensor switch from what I could find looking around online.  I’ll try grounding temp sensor like you suggested to see what happens.  May go ahead and replace the fan sensor switch as it’s cheap.

It is cheap enough to do.  When I get a few min I will pull up the diagram and see if I can make any sense out of it for you.  

Thanks Frank.  I went ahead and ordered a fan sensor relay.  I’ll mess with the temp sensor tomorrow evening and check the fuses.

Ok so I looked at the diagram for your bike. I was wrong on the sensor locations. I had them backwards.  The sensor located in the cylinder head is the high temp indicator sensor.   If you ground that wire  your high temp light will come on.   

The fan thermal sensor is the one located in the radiator. That’s the one that that brings the fan in and would need replacing if bad.   I’ve attached a few pages for your use.  I noticed that there is also a circuit breaker for the fan located in the diagram that’s on the same line as the sensor.  Try to find that and double check it. It could be as simple as resetting or replacing that.  You can jump that circuit breaker or test it on each side for continuity.  I’ve highlighted some items for ease.  Just look for the color of the wire and follow along. 

The sensor in the radiator can be tested as well if you look at the pages but you maybe better off just replacing if your ordering parts. 

Take your time and don’t get frustrated, the answer is there someplace on the wiring I’ve showed you. It’s just a matter of process of elimination now.

Good luck and keep us posted. 

31EDA893-28EF-4E28-BCD8-88BCD7B0F16F.jpeg

EA35068B-2B89-4BF7-9C2E-77150E452A1B.jpeg

21833F01-E4A9-49E0-8727-F271017F7109.jpeg

3979AE12-7509-4124-BB57-F3AF5CBF72F4.jpeg

Thanks for that info Frank.  I ran out and checked the high temp switch by grounding it out and light came on just as you said.  I also checked the fuse box and all fuses were good.  I saw the circuit breaker for fan, but I don’t have a tester to check it.  Hopefully the fan switch is the issue and will fix it when it arrives this week.  Guess I better pick up some anti-freeze this week as well.

Fyi you can pick up a cheap 12v test light and test a lot of that stuff as well.  Just attach the alligator clip to ground and turn the key on you should have power on both sides of the breaker.  The test light will come on. 

True, didn’t think about that.  I have a test light.  I’ll give that a try.

• Like 1

Found the relay and put tester on it.  First time I checked it I had power on both sides of it and power at the fan sensor switch.  I messed around with some other stuff in the garage and then checked them again a few minutes later and had no power.  So they must be going out I’d assume.  I’ve not seen a relay like this before so hopefully I can order new one through parts pages.  I’ll replace it along with the fan sensor switch and see what happens.

A6A5E315-85F1-45EE-A67B-C84AA25ACC98.jpeg

BF8C1484-C5C9-4528-BD0B-3CF6619BBC5C.jpeg

Sounds good.  Listen if that were my bike while you have everything open I would unplug the connectors and clean them with a little sand paper on (male connectors) and small flat head screw drivers and a small pic type tool  inside the female connectors by gently scraping. Get some dialectic grease or electrical contact cleaner spray  and apply to the connections and reconnect.

It’s a smart thing to do while you have everything exposed and will guarantee solid connections. The grease or spray  is cheap and can be bought at any auto parts store.

Also by the way that bike looks really clean from what I can see so it looks like it’s a good machine and in tact and worth the effort.  

• Like 1

Ha.  It only looks clean because I spent a week scrubbing everything on it and unplugging/cleaning every connection on the bike as seen from one of my first posts in the thread of the bike torn down.  I’ve lost track of all the hours I’ve spent on this thing since purchasing.  Believe me it looked awful underneath all the panels when I first brought it home.  I’ve regretted  my purchase since bringing it home with all the crap that I’ve found wrong since tearing into it.  At this point I just want to get it on the freakin road and get some actual use out of it.

I have an 05 Grizzly. The inlet air to the CV drive is under that black cover (full of leaves -mouse nest?)

I don't see any cover in any parts lists, but I plan to put a cooking strainer over it in my rebuild.

Ok well that’s a good thing If everything is clean and connected properly then I guess you can check that off the list. I really forgot how far back this thread goes.   It’s all worth it though.  These things run like hell when they are fixed right and usually only need general maintenance.   However, your committed now so might as well finish strong and get it done. Your doing great.  

12 minutes ago, Tahj said:

I have an 05 Grizzly. The inlet air to the CV drive is under that black cover (full of leaves -mouse nest?)

I don't see any cover in any parts lists, but I plan to put a cooking strainer over it in my rebuild.

Yeah Tahj that air inlet tube was just replaced on mine.  Previous owner busted it right before where it clamps onto CV housing at some point and had it ghetto rigged up with part of a plastic bottle and lots of duct tape 🙄.  I ordered a new pipe and installed on it.  Just one of the many messes I’ve fixed/replaced on this thing.

• Like 1

Still scratching my head on this stupid thing.  I replaced the fan relay circuit and fan relay switch and still no fan.  I unplugged the fan with the bike running and hooked test light to the plug.  Shouldn’t the blue wire have power to it?  Or does it only send power when it needs to turn the fan on?  Maybe I didn’t run it long enough??  The harness below is what comes from main wiring harness and runs to the relay switch and fan and down to 4wd actuator.  I checked the wires on the backside of this harness with bike running as well and the only wire that has power is the red wire.  Does that sound right?

2785568A-5DBE-468D-8188-D06BBE72C67A.jpeg