Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Michael Jensen

86 moto 4 cdi

It’s hard to say but I would guess the last two years before and after would fit that. Just look up the part and compare the plugs. They should be noticeable as far as fit up.  But before you replace everything do some testing and check the stator and pick up coils first. If your handy with a tester let us know and we will walk you through it.  

Just FYI...I have the same machine and my spark issue was caused by the ignition coil mounted under the gas tank where the spark plug wire comes out of. I replaced it with a new one from Partszilla for under $20 and it solved my problem. I don't know about the CDI.

Mine lost spark until I charged the battery. I figured out that the voltage regulator/rectifier was bad by using a multimeter. I tested voltage from the stator at the connector the regulator plugs into, white wire to blue wire. You should see at least 12 volts AC. It should go up higher than that when you rev the engine (mine goes up to 30 VAC). If that's there, you have a good stator. Then test the regulator/rectifier, which would probably be best tested by connecting your multimeter to the battery with the engine not running, and note the voltage. Start the engine and rev it up. The voltage should go up. If it doesn't, you need a new regulator. The inline fuse is part of this circuit, too, but nothing works if it's blown.

For you electronics nerds like me, I test the regulator output at the battery because the raw feed from it while disconnected from the battery can confuse some multimeters because it's pulsed DC, not constant DC.

There are only a couple of years that fit the 86. They used the same CDI for the last 3 wheelers and first gen 4 wheelers. They are very rare indeed. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Daniel Gibson
      Have a 08 raptor brought to me a couple months ago. Got it on a trade for house remodel. Bike has around 30 hours. No that's not a typo thirty verifiable hours. The main Yamaha tech has put hands on this bike. Always Been reallyhard to start. If it does it runs really good. That's the kicker...IF! It started out intermittent now it's no spark at all. Everything ignition related is brand new. It all checks out good but still won't do it. Please help

• By Jack Briggs
      Just bought 06 KingQuad 700 and first ride out hit a mud hole, not to deep and it shut off and would not start. 
      Got it home and found the spark plug hole was full of mud and water. Went and bout a new spark plug and began cleaning it out. Put a deep socket in there and it wouldn’t grab. Took a pic with my flash and this is what I see. Any suggestions? And what is it??

previous owner said it had a new coil so that’s why I decided to change out the spark plug, also ordered new coil should be here by the weekend. 

• By mike13ortega
      hey i recently bought a 1988 honda fourtrax trx300 2wd that dosnt run, it has no spark when i tryied kickstarting it the neutral light comes right up so i thought it may have some spark but checked it with the sparkplug against the frame and electric starting it and NO SPARK!!! so i dont know what might be wrong, i checked all the wiring and it all looks good, i put my honda recon coil it it and still no spark so im left with maybe a bad cdi??? or what else could it be??? any help please
    • By Dwight Williams
      Hey everyone, I've been scratching my head over this for most of the day.  I bought a couple of Bayou 220's, got them running (they've both been sitting), and started tweaking and fixing small things.  One of them is mostly done, the other had an aftermarket carb on it and I've been trying to sort that out.

Anyway, while adjusting the carb it died a few times, I restarted and moved on until it died and wouldn't restart.  I figured maybe I'd flooded it or something - after further attempts I realized I had no spark.  Since I have two identical machines I have many parts at my disposal.  I've swapped the CDI, spark plug and coil with no luck.  I have good resistance readings from the stator and pick up (135 and 110 respectively),  I don't have a peak voltage meter but I measure around 53VAC on the stator when cranking.  I have a 4 wire stator, not an alternator like the newer ones.  Grounds look good, I've checked the kill switch by verifying that it and the ignition switch grounds the black/yellow wire to the CDI.  I can turn the engine slowly and see the pickup short the meter as well, seems normal right?  So far everything I've checked looks the same on both machines.  I've got the service manual and wiring diagrams.  Do these readings make any sense?  I'm obviously missing something but I'm stumped.  thanks!