Quantcast

1987-89 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Electrical Issues

I have a 1987-89 (not sure on the year) Kawasaki bayou 300 that has electrical issues, I have replaced the entire harness with a proven good/used one, new CDI box, and two brand new coils, problem is that it tests no charge at the pickup coil, so I replaced and tested again with a so called good one that had been salvaged out of a blown up 220/250 (not sure which, the left side cover is smaller than my 300) in Missouri. It has a proven good OEM stator. I am trying to avoid buying a new start and pickup coil because it is so expensive so if anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Edited by Kelby 746
Needed to add more info and a year.

• Ajmboy changed the title to 1987-89 Kawasaki Bayou 300 Electrical Issues

I’m confused. You did all this work and your not getting a charge? That’s strange, what kind of testing on the charging system are you doing? Have you checked the rectifier/regulator ?  

First off I would locate the vin# and do a check this way you can find the exact year.  Tons of web sites to check for free.  

Honestly I would put a new stator/pick up coil in. I use a brand called Caltric on eBay or amazon. About $75 bucks. They have always fit and worked well. 

You should also check that everything is turning inside the engine in order to produce current at the coil.  When the cover is off spin the engine and make sure rotation is good.  

• Thanks 1

spacer.pngOkay I switched around connections on the pickup coil and now it’s reading .45 ohms all the time and .70 when I crank it with the hand because the staters bad. I also have a book with all the wiring diagrams for every year. I look at the 1987-89 klf 300 4x4 for mine and it matches up perfectly.

Edited by Kelby 746

Forget by hand and rotating the motor.

Testing on the stator can be done without rotating the engine.   Ohms tests done on a standing stator phase to phase and then each phase to ground. 

First test 

Phase to phase (each wire from the stator)  should be equal when you test from one phase to another and do all of them.  They should be pretty close to each other on an ohms setting. The manual will tell you what the range should be. 

Second test:

Take one phase of the stator (one wire) on the tester and the  other tester probe to ground.  You should get no reading on the tester.   Do that for all three wires. If you do then there is a short within the coils on the stator. No need to test any more, it’s bad! 

Third test 

Pick up coil put the tester on ohms and on the two wires of the pick up coil. You should get a reading. Check the manual and it will show you what the acceptable range is. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello  @Christi Enslin welcome to Quadcrazy.  

Go to the forums tab and start a new topic on the item and list the make, year and model. This will allow us to keep track of the topic and help you out better. If it gets thrown into an existing topic you wound up getting lost in the mix. 

As far as your bike goes you will find all the help you need here from the members at Quadcrazy  

• 3 weeks later...

Okay following up to my wheeler I found out the year, 1989 Kawasaki 300c 4x4 and turns out I bought a used 2000-2004 4x2, does anyone know if the extra wiring for the work light, difflock, and brake light sensors would cause a problem with spark? I got a new pickup coil and it shows good, new ecu, and proven good stator, proven good, key and shut off switch. Anyone have any conversion information? 

Okay so the original harness got surged when I was testing connections and it burned the wires up and you cannot no matter what you say, can not convince anyone to replicate a 1989 harness, so I started looking for a used one and found a so called exact same one on Craigslist, I bought it along with a brake caliper for a spare. Got the harness it fit and the lights turned on and the started clunked, it’s no good, which was a lot more than what it did originally, fast forward a few months I get a new ecu and get a used complete left side cover for a 2002 220cc not a 300cc, again curtesy of idiots not knowing what a vin number is on a bike. Switched of the pickup coil because the original was no good, now it has a good pickup coil, good ecu, same regulator that has backwards readings, and a harness that is for a 2000-2004 Kawasaki bayou 300 2x4. 

Ok so if I’m understanding this correctly you have a 1989 4x4 bayou 300 harness from your bike? You picked up a harness and it’s for a 4x2 bayou 300?

The years that you will find fit are from 89 to 92 I believe. There are a few on eBay and the 400 bayou 4x4 will fit for the 89 300 as well. You can compare yours to the ones on eBay as the pics of the harnesses are pretty clear. 

What I would do is if possible take both harnesses and put them side by side. Open the tape up on both of them and see the differences.  It may be possible to add what you need by copying the original harness if nothing is too burnt up.