Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Locke DoBay

Kawasaki 360 praire 2007

Hello I'm new here and not sure on where this should be posted but here goes. I have a 2007 Kawasaki 360 4x4, it started to make a small knocking sound and few weeks ago. I checked all the normal things and didn't find anything. I just used it around the house as my yard machine, no real heavy loads or stress on it. And it ran fine with no problems. Well one day I went to roll my yard with my roller that i filled with sand. It put the 4wheeler under a load for the first time, well it ran fine for about 20 mins then i stopped to do something and it started but there was nothing there. It would not rev up enough to engage the belt drive and the knock got a lot louder. Sounds like the knock is coming from the top end. And ideas in where to start. I have worked on some stuff and mechanically inclined just never tore into an engine before.

Welcome to Quadcrazy, I had a similar problem in my bayou 400.  The knock turned out to be a worn out cam journal.  

If your problem is the same this is what I did.

I had to pull the valve cover off exposing the cam.  You will see the opposite side of the cam, the end without the sprocket. It will look worn discoloring and scored. Also the valve cover itself will look worn where the cam sits.  The knocking is the back end of the cam flopping around.  The valves don’t operate right and I lost power.  

Maybe this is the same problem as yours maybe not.  

It took me a little while to isolate the knock but either way the engine had to come apart just to start looking in the engine. 

I wound up finding a used head and cam in excellent condition and installed it with fresh valve seals and I was good to go.  I thought the reason this happened was because the oil pump was failing and maybe not pumping oil to the head. I checked it and no problem. But double check yours.  

I hope it’s something along those lines and not deeper like a main Bering. I would start to look at a few different parts on eBay just to get the ball rolling and see what’s out there. Taking  the valve cover off is not a big job. Plastics and gas tank go first  and then you can pull the cover.  

Good luck and keep us posted. 

Ok I just got home from work and it's raining so no yard work today time to play in the garage a little and see what I find 

Haha I love it.  Not sure where your from but pouring here also in NY.  Make sure the valve cover bolts come off and go back there respective holes. There should be a few different lengths.    

Post some pics as you go. 

Well here is what I found so far. The valves and cam look good no slop or anything, gap is right on both. So I took the timing chain cover off and there is way to much stack in it. Took the tensioner out and it's in good working condition. Put it back in and it never even got close to taking up the slack. Took the plug out to check timing marks and it is out of time by like 3 teeth. So going to order a new timing chain but need to get a 35m 1.5 thread flywheel puller. They want 110 for new one, but found one on ebay for 25. So waiting on them to show up and go from there.

That’s good news.  You looked at the back end of the cam and no issues or where the cam sits in the head and the underside of the cover ? 

I looked at where cam sits and covers. There were no marks or anything anywhere. Rotated cam by hand with wrench on rotor nut under pull start to look for any type of score marks on cam and nothing again, everything was tight and no movement or slop at all. That's when I decided to check the timing marks. Sorry I didn't think to take any pics of it while doing it. 

No worries on the pics.  Ok well hopefully it’s just a stretched cam chain. Have you by chance ordered the tensioner guides as well? Maybe a good idea while your in there ?

No I did not order new guides, is it a good practice to replace them as well so they are like a matching set with the chain. Ordered just the chain and gasket for case