Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

cavry

KLF300 alternator keyway

I have replaced the Alternator keystock 3 times in several weeks. the engine cranks instantly, idles well and runs smoothly for 30or 40 starts. Then suddenly when I go start it again, it won't start  Each time the key has been sheared.  The replacement fits the shaft and alternator firmly and I have not noticed any backfires.  Ideas? Suggestions?

Cavry

Have you checked the timing ? You may be getting a kick back and not a back fire.  Still odd that it’s breaking the key way but that’s where I would look first.  

Are you sure the nut Holding it to the shaft is tight enough?.  The  key shouldn't shear if all  is tight  so there is no pressure on it.  If  loose it  can work on the  key and eventually shear it. It would take a pretty  hard kick back to  make it shear a key on a tight assembly,  and it wouldn't run  on q  new key  unless timing was reset  if timing  slipped .

• Like 1

I was thinking along those lines. The roller bearing is fine.  I used a rubber mallet to seat the alternator before reassembling and then used a cross bar in the pull starter disc and torqued the end bolt to 60 ft/lbs this time.  Thankfully, timing hasn't slipped during any of the events.  Hoping this solves the problem.

Thanks for your input.

Cavry

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By JacobSlabach
      i know this isnt an atv but same type of thing.  I have a riding mower im fixing and selling for my aunt and it has a dead battery.  i jumped it off my atv and when i turn the key nothing at all happens.  i tried jumping the relay still nothing.  this is with the seat down.  you wouldnt think this mower would have issues as its a top-of-the-line brand and almost brand new (aunt found it for a good price, still got tits on tires, just sat for a couple months in a mechanic shop
    • By Paul Maple
      I have a 1999 Sportsman  500, it was running fine, than started to lose power in the winter, I adjusted the idle screw and away I went, than a few weeks ago it died, I have found that i am flooding the engine, compression was at 70PSI and due to the compression release mech. i assume i am good as it compared to the same PSI on a 2000 sportsman 500 i have. i cannot start the atv unless i go full throttle and it starts an runs for about 30 sec than dies, again it is flooded. i ordered a new carb off ebay as i could get one for around $40. put that in same issue, i have checked the timing, (good), valves out of adjustment i adjusted to .006 still same issue, i have found the exhaust lobe and rocker arm to have some wear, i have ordered new ones, but am looking for any other input in this area as well. would the exhaust cam and rocker arm cause the engine to flood? i have used a bore scope and the piston liner has good cross hatching still? any input would be great.
    • By weblex
      Problem: The ATV starts and runs at idle perfectly. But as soon as I open the throttle, the engine starts to slow down until it stops. On the attached video you can hear the sound of how it works: see video below
      Prehistory: there is a Polaris Sportsman 500 1998, which for about 1.5 years stood in repair, including also replacing CDI with one taken from the same ATV. Finally, the vehicles were on wheels, traveled several kilometers and overheated - forgot to fill the antifreeze Came back home in small moves. The next trip started well, but after 10 km there was a feeling of a small drop in power (even as the vehicle got warm completely) but still drives. Next trip - the situation is repeated. The next test of ATV through time and a huge loss of power from the very beginning. The engine sneezes, does not want to go more than 5 mph.

What has been done: the carburetor has been replaced with a new one (inexpensive, $ 40), a new spark plug, a new ignition coil, the engine head has been removed, the piston is in good condition, valves were corrected - but the problem was definitely not in them.

Ignition control unit is suspected. Who faced similar? Please help in solving the problem.
      Thanks in advance.

• By Christopher Middleton
      I was given a "Go-Kart" its an old Carter brothers dlx150 but the engine is not the same that came with this Kart. I am trying to ID it so i can look at getting some parts for it. the pictures attached are of the motor and the only ID marks on it. I am thinking its some sort of 200cc from the 1980's does anyone have a better Idea? I am really trying to get a rebuild kit for the carburetor. on the carburetor is  Keihin 63 AA YKT

• By ezduzit
      picking up atv tomorrow, guys says motor is locked up. he thinks, anyway has been sitting for more than three years. Please understand i have not touched it yet but if his description is accurate im looking for suggestions on freeing it up before  having to tear it down. I'm hoping to get some great info from the pros on Quadcrazy.