Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Flipper Tiffany Roper Jones

Polaris 500 sportsman give it gas stalls

Sounds right to me.  If your pulling the carb off try something please to kill my curiosity.  

Put a clean hose on the fuel line of the carb and then turn the carburetor upside down and blow into the hose as hard as you can.  See if there is an air leak. Even if it’s minor it’s not good.   

Ok that’s good. Now that float needle seat that the pin sits inside have you removed that and checked that it’s properly seated and the gasket or o ring is in good shape ? 

Yup undid the little screw and pulled the seat out looks great. I got the head off right now taking a look at it. I'm damn good at fixing quads I do it almost every day but this one has me horribly baffled I no why gas is getting in the oil I have to turn it over about 50 times for it to start but when it does idles perfect when it doesn't start I pull spark plug nothing is coming out of spark plug whole its just kind of a little damp like you start it. Got the cam out now I didn't by rockers just the cam now the spigot and not sure what it is is it supposed to snap back really fast or just put in just for it to work when I put it in I spun the spring around once so it was a little stiffer but not sure if that's right

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the second part of what you wrote. Can you explain it to me a little better? 

It's kinda hard to explain on the end of the cam I would call it a balancer but not exactly sure what you technically you would call It on opposite side of the sprocket there what I would call a balancer on the end of cam. Theres a spring and looks like a balancer. When I put the new cam in spring seemed loose so I spun it around once then put I it back in so snaps back kinda quick instead of very loosely hard to explain but heads off now everything looks good beating my head against the wall

I dont understand it at all

If I remember right that’s the compression release and possibly what keeps the engine from rotating the wrong way.

Ok take a deep breath there is a reason why and you sound  like the type of person who will certainly get to the bottom of it as well as some help from us here at Quadcrazy! 

The springs on the cam should be the assisted compression release.   

Post some pics.    

Is supposed to be snug not super tight. There are a few different types of decompression mechanisms. Polaris is one of the far different ones I’ve seen.  The spring is a small round baby spring that sits in a hole? 

Go to YouTube and take a look.  Keyword Polaris cam decompression. 

I want you to try one more thing please.  Can you kinda do a bench test on the carburetor.  

Take the carburetor and mount it firmly.   Use some tie wire if you have to. Make sure it’s in the proper upright position and make sure the throttle cable and slide is all back together as if it were ready to be used.  You have to see what that thing is doing.  

Hook up the fuel line and open the petcock  Watch that baby for a day and see if any fuel is leaking out of it. Put a piece of cardboard under it as I mentioned earlier.  

Could be an internal failure that your not seeing. Maybe a fracture or something. 

Posted (edited)

Well the gas is not magically getting into the oil. It could just be a slow drip. See what happens. 

Edited by Frank Angerano

Is that fuel line hooked up to a fuel source? 

That’s actually a great question and something I’m going to seriously look into. Maybe that decompression not working pulls a vacuum ? It’s definitely a possibility. 

Yea I have it straight from gas tank to carb.

I was just wondering cause before fuel pumps the compression is what sucked the gas it needed so if its pulling so much where spark doesn't work and why its turning over so ridiculously hard reseated valves going back together  now 

Anyone have a good wiring diagram someone installed a winch started idled great but in the meantime wires to ecm getting so hot melting the insulation I need a wiring diagram with the worst news I'm mechanically strong motors great next is something stupid 

Yea 1999 Polaris 500 yes its starts like now idles awesome but someone put a winch on it before I got it its tapped into everything. I'm a electrician for 25 years working on em is more as a hobby I by em fix em then let the kids run em into the ground lol. The person I bought it from replaced all those parts and cant figure out what's wrong so hint(there being super veg) that why I need a wiring diagram from front to back. I have never seen a ecm tied into a headlight before in my life not even the ground because of noise interference but haven't worked on everything so maybe it does but wont no without a diagram. But I mean as soon as you hit button fires immediately so has to be something small and stupid

You happen to have any carb cleaner? If so, let it idle and when you give it gas, at the same time give it is little shot of the carb cleaner and tell me what happens. You are now making me wonder if the vacuum slide is not working or something. If you give it the shot and all the sudden it picks up on that, you know you got a fuel issue.

And LOL on your comment about the speedometer controlling so much, yeah...it is kinda amazing. I used to part those machines out on occasion and that was the first thing to go.