Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

HeWasRidinDirty

2003 quadsport z400

Oh boy. Any idea where there from ?

So you found them inside the stator cover and also in the oil when you drained ? 

Yes, exactly. That round pc was stuck on the drain plug. 

What kind of seals are in this engine? It doesn't have crank seals like a 2 stroke does it? Water pump seals come to mind, but, there's no water in the oil or oil inthe water. It hasn't leaked any oil either. 

I’m thinking possibly a compression relief spring ? Not sure if the engine has that. But based on the short history of the cam replacement and top end work  that would be my guess. 

See that small spring on the cam ? It’s possible that it has come off prior to the last owner rebuilding the top end.    

98604275-C0DF-4693-A612-94BB310D64AE.jpeg

Most 4 strokes have a compression releif mechanism on the exhaust cam right? This doesn't have anything on the ex cam. Nothing. It looks exactly the same as the IN cam. ANd if there was a spring on the ex cam, how would it get to the stator? IDK. I'm about to light this thing on fire!  LOL

Lol take a deep breath and maybe a step back. To much time at it will make you crazy. My feeling is that spring is exactly what I think it is. But I could be wrong.   If it fell down Into the cylinder it could have easily been mangled up in the cam chain into pieces and basically been pumped through the engine.  I’m thinking along these lines like I said earlier based on the top end work.  I would change the oil a few more times with cheap oil to make sure you get it all out.  You can use paint strainers to catch any debris as you drain the oil and re use the oil over to keep flushing the system.   Once it’s all clear put a better grade oil in. 

If it’s just the small spring chances are it’s not going to do much.   Go through all the gears to make sure it’s shifting, you can do that just by rocking the bike back and forth and go through the gears.  

Stick with the timing to make sure it’s correct  and get it fired and listen to it run. Take it from there.   That pic I sent you is a cam  that’s for your machine.  

The only other option is to pull the engine off the frame and set it on a bench and tare it down.   Not sure how far you want to go but it is what it is. 

Lastly is the previous owner: did he or she give you any background on this machine ? It seems like you don’t have much background history with it as to what was done etc?

• Like 1

Reading this  thread rang a bell  for  me.  In page one Hewas mentioned the  keyways are  opposite of what the videos show when the  marks are all  lined up...  I  suspect the  previous owner lined the  marks up   as per Frank's diagram , but instead of  using the  exhaust  cam to  start  (  #1 lined up  with head gasket ) he  used the intake cam. All  3  would be lined up as illustrated ,  but 180 degrees out of time .

• Like 1

So, the update.... The camshafts are old Stage 2 HotCams. I sent them off to H.C and they are going to put some marks on them so I can time them properly. In the old days. H.C's put paint marks on the camshafts for timing purposes. They wear off over time. They're doing this at no charge. Just shipping. I think it's $15 total. ANyway, the pcs of metal debris that came out of the engine is the starter sprague or starter  clutch. Ya.Came out in many many pcs. Not good. However, I have removed the head and the valves look good and piston and cylinder look great. 

This thing right here is what is broken.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LTZ-400-Quadsport-Starter-Clutch-for-Suzuki-LT-Z400-03-14-LTZ-400Z/231436719164?hash=item35e2b4143c:g:gvoAAOSwwTlUnK5g

This is what's left! 

20190909_163904.thumb.jpg.2a3d6964eab5844c66c03b4d8b0af57f.jpg

20190909_163335.thumb.jpg.c6fab05fe6c3e10bf990756e3e1761fc.jpg

20190910_120254.thumb.jpg.3bf83ba0ab2e92941f677e993d87dc62.jpg

Edited by HeWasRidinDirty

Wow that’s a lot of parts.  Great work on the research! Happy to hear the top end is in good shape. Hopefully all else is well and you can slam that thing back together when you get the cams back.   

Great update.  Let us know how it all turns out! 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 4:12 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Wow that’s a lot of parts.  Great work on the research! Happy to hear the top end is in good shape. Hopefully all else is well and you can slam that thing back together when you get the cams back.   

Great update.  Let us know how it all turns out! 

Welp, it's going back together. I did my best to flush out any remaining debris. I spoke to HotCams yesterday and the cams are on their way.

20190917_171846.thumb.jpg.b74481cd7a531196ec5103e570e016e5.jpg

20190918_140447.thumb.jpg.c2f23718b04d0edd5a87f2b6c424dcd0.jpg

Inspector Woof says my work is a bit ruff, but, he signed it off! Lol

20190918_141620.thumb.jpg.a5b2976f5e3208b55595c92d1222f3b5.jpg

15 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

It’s not all it’s barked up to be this ATV thing! 

Looks like your well into it, how’s it going ? 

I had to order a new woodruff key yesterday........so, I'm stuck until tomorrow. Tomorrow is riding day!!!! So, it'll have to wait until saturday. 

You need to get you a spare bike. Just a fixer up to have around.   At least it’s something to ride. Nothing worse then waiting on parts.   

7 hours ago, Frank Angerano said:

You need to get you a spare bike. Just a fixer up to have around.   At least it’s something to ride. Nothing worse then waiting on parts.   

No,no,no, I'm riding tomorrow! I prefer 2 wheels, but,  I do it on all 4 sometimes! 

20180826_091221.thumb.jpg.529b87cac0c65f76b603384371132f1e.jpg

I have an arsenal of bikes. I ride anywhere from my 420 atv to my Kx 250. My kids ride the same from a 350 to an xr80. We have a few to say the least.   

• Like 1

I got the cams back yesterday. But, before I put all this back together I want to check the ignition components" IE stator, coil, pick up coil. Any info on specs for that? 

Yes specs are on the download section. If you need a hand let me know. Testing is easy just need a tester with ohms/continuity settings etc.   

On 9/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, Frank Angerano said:

Yes specs are on the download section. If you need a hand let me know. Testing is easy just need a tester with ohms/continuity settings etc.   

I found the specs for a 2009 ltz 400. This one is a 2003. IDK if they're the same. I have a tester.

1 hour ago, HeWasRidinDirty said:

I found the specs for a 2009 ltz 400. This one is a 2003. IDK if they're the same. I have a tester.

Frank, I had a bit of an erratic spark before I took the stator and flywheel off. Do you suppose that all the metal pcs that were flying around in there had anything to do with that? And, I might just put it back on and check the spark. Will not having any oil in it have any effect on the performance of the stator? And I don't think that cranking it over for a few seconds with no oil will hurt anything. IDK. I will put assembly lube on the camshafts and rockers tho.