Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

KVF300 Prairie service manual

Sonders

had a little time to work last night.  Was able to get the drum all apart.  Castlenut was locktited on all threads.  Heated it with handheld propane torch and slowly worked it off.  Had one stubborn screw of course on bottom side of the drum cover that wouldn't come out and head stripped out; had to use vise grips on it.  Nothing is ever easy.  Ran out of time to actually do anything once the drum was apart, but it's a start.  Feeling like total crap again so who knows when I'll get back out there to do anything else.  Stay tuned.

Slowly getting back to action.  Took another look at brake assembly and watched a couple YouTube videos on the subject.  I can not get the brake drum off.  What am I missing?  Should it be able to spin around on the axle, or does it only go on in a certain position.  I can’t get behind it well enough to get a good hit on it with a bar or anything.  What’s the trick?

F729B0B4-9DDA-4A49-9486-3E82E92DA190.jpeg

Just the pic, it’s not cracked.....yet.  Whoops I’ve already smacked on it a bit with 3lb sledge.  I also tried heating around the axle a little bit.  I tried using a small pry bar to pry around the edges.  The edge of the backing plate is looking a little rough now though from prying against it.  Hope I didn’t ruin it.  Parts diagram list a big O ring that is supposed to go between the drum and the backing plate.  If there was one on this bike, it is long gone as I don’t see any remains of one.  

drum just needed to soak I guess.  I sprayed it down real well lastnight with lube and tonight it slid right off.  The pads look like they have plenty of pad left.  Now I don’t know what needs to be done to free the brake up.  Does the cam turn pushing the pads out against the drum?  Do I just need to lube up the cam and try to work it back and forth?  I don’t really see anything else that would move.  As you can see from the pics, I messed up a few places of the backing plate.  I’m wondering if that matters?577105B3-ABB0-45E0-96D8-44932F930716.thumb.jpeg.a2cd3007ba6b55c0a0d6513f5bf49e3a.jpegB2AC9940-5D57-48D8-9C70-AE8C2F51BD6D.thumb.jpeg.2cbccf34257f41d32da4dd617cb1c1bb.jpegBFB92477-A803-4ED7-8DD7-E1757C38D196.thumb.jpeg.8fff11e9f2e41072f7096ff633638b66.jpeg

Nice work brother. So spray the cam lobe with penetration oil as well and let them sit. The cam should rotate with the brake lever and expand the cam in between the brake shoes thus expanding them. 
There is a brake grease you can and should put on the lobe when your all free and moving and ready to close it all up. 

The area I circled should move. Spray the sh** out of everything except the surface of the brake pads and hit everything with a wire brush.  You can out blue painters tape on the brake pad surface before spraying it all down. 

18A0A0A5-27CA-47B3-904A-AF2A4636C01D.jpeg

spent some time in the garage this weekend.  I ended up completely disassembling the entire rear brake; pulled the brake pads off, removed the brake lever and pulled the cam out.  The cam was all rusty and nasty.  I steel wooled the sh** out of it and got it nice and clean and smooth.  Put a very generous amount of grease all over it and slid it back into place.  Put it all back together and boy is it rolling smoothly and brake working nice now.  I just need to adjust the parking brake as it has too much slack and the lever doesn't engage the brake.  The foot brake pedal works good though.  It's now back down on all four wheels.  I believe all that's left to do is top off the oil and some fresh gas and should be ready to fire up.  Stay tuned.

Of course battery is dead from the bike sitting for the past 6 months so tried starting it tonight with the pull cord.  Started on the 2nd pull with choke on.  However it didn’t really want to stay running.  I’ll try again this weekend after I get some more gas in it (hardly any in it, fuel set on reserve) and battery is charged.  I’m sure the carb is going to need some adjustment.  I’m hoping it just hasn’t gotten much gas cycled through it to stay running yet.

It’s alive!  Fired it up after work and let it idle for a little bit.  It’s pretty cold out so idle is off some.  I think it’s going to warm back up this weekend, so I’ll try to get it out of the garage and ride it around some to see how it does.  Still need to adjust left hand brake for rear also.

Merry Christmas all.  We had a very welcomed warm day today so took advantage and went for an afternoon ride with the wife and kids.  The wife took our trusty Sportsman 500 while I took the Prairie for its maiden voyage.  Let’s say I still have some bugs to work out, but it did survive the ride.

For some reason the fuel selector switch doesn’t work in the ON position.  It ran for a few minutes than shut off.  It runs fine on Reserve.  Tank is full.  It also developed an oil leak from the front output shaft on the gear drive housing.  Other than that it seemed to run fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Took the bike out for another ride yesterday and it did fine.  I just left the fuel selector valve on Reserve; haven’t looked into why ON position isn’t working yet.  Cleaned it up for the first time after riding yesterday as well.  Cleans up halfway descent.

DFF412B2-1B10-4FFE-99E7-D387A1B33C00.jpeg

Edited by Sonders